Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 is at 20K miles and I am about to replace original front rotors.
Outside of OEM that go for $294 I found these two that fit my bike
Galfer at $275 and EBC at $223.
Which ones would you pick if you were an occasional track goer?

·
Director of Moderation
9,948 Posts
My '09 is at 56+K miles, and is still on the OEM rotors with no issues.....
'09 generation had thicker rotors than the '05-'06, so I imagine they last longer than the older ones. Plus since those 20k miles include some track miles, that's a lot more wear and abuse put on them as well.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Brembo is sub $500 each, too rich for my pocket.
But BrakeTech looks solid.

Another option is Braking, does anybody have opinion on those?
https://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/control-brakes/brake-rotors/braking-sk2-directional-front-race-rotor/p/52706?m=149098
500$? I don't think you're looking the right ones. Those are probably the T mounts or thinline.

Here are some from Italy:

PAIR OF FRONT BRAKE DISCS BREMBO SUPERSPORT 300MM FOR KAWASAKI ZX6R/ ZX6RR 2005> $441.98 * NO VAT PRICE

Brembo Serie Oro Brake Rotor 78B40840, one € 130,74

---

I've ordered from them in the past without any delivery issues.

·
Registered
629 Posts
EBC rotors are garbage. They make nice pads but I would not buy their rotors. If there's nothing wrong with your OEM ones, and they still measure to spec, there's no reason to change them.

·
Director of Moderation
9,948 Posts
I'm not a fan of EBC. I'd go with either Galfer or Braketech. Brembo is nice of course but the most expensive option.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You’re going to need to check on the wait time to get various brands of rotors for your bike; I waited about three months for my ‘12 zx6r to get Braketech rotors (after I ordered them). The wait time might help you decide.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was to order from sellers who have them in stock. but I have a bit of time until north east thaw

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
'09 generation had thicker rotors than the '05-'06, so I imagine they last longer than the older ones. Plus since those 20k miles include some track miles, that's a lot more wear and abuse put on them as well.
I wonder how hard it is to source used '09-'12 rotors, and mount them to the '05 rim......

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I thought that would probably be the extent of it.... the biggest factor with brake rotor sizing is how much heat they have to dissipate, and how much mechanical advantage is desirable. Knowing that the ZX6 and ZX10 are near the same weight, and weight distribution, I would expect the brake rotors to be very similar in size.

Aren't Suzuki and Kawasaki using the same vendor for OEM wheels? Are the hubs of those wheels similar or identical? Outer rim width, diameter are the same, right..... 3.5" front, 5 or 5.5" rear?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
500$? I don't think you're looking the right ones. Those are probably the T mounts or thinline.

Here are some from Italy:

PAIR OF FRONT BRAKE DISCS BREMBO SUPERSPORT 300MM FOR KAWASAKI ZX6R/ ZX6RR 2005> $441.98 * NO VAT PRICE

Brembo Serie Oro Brake Rotor 78B40840, one € 130,74

---

I've ordered from them in the past without any delivery issues.
you are right. I didn't read entire description $500 was for a pair. I found that STG is selling them at almost the same price as on omniaracing website. I guess i will go with local.
I will be pulling the the trigger today.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My '09 is at 56+K miles, and is still on the OEM rotors with no issues.....
I don't have issues when stopping, say, from 80mph.
I feel the front begins vibrate when
stopping hard after straight way. this makes me uncomfortable that I begin stopping earlier.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I don't have issues when stopping, say, from 80mph.
I feel the front begins vibrate when
stopping hard after straight way. this makes me uncomfortable that I begin stopping earlier.
I had the same problem from day one after purchasing a new bike. Tried just about everything to fix the problem: new rotors/new pads/new head bearings/new calipers/new pads again ...never been completely happy with heavy, end-of-longest- straight type braking. The weird thing is that every other straight at the track is just fine. It’s only at the end of the longest straight when braking from 5th gear down to 3rd; and it’s not just at one track, so can’t blame it on the surface I guess. It’s much better these days, after all those changes, but I still lack confidence in that specific braking zone. I hope you find a solution to your issues with less drama...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had the same problem from day one after purchasing a new bike. Tried just about everything to fix the problem: new rotors/new pads/new head bearings/new calipers/new pads again ...never been completely happy with heavy, end-of-longest- straight type braking. The weird thing is that every other straight at the track is just fine. It’s only at the end of the longest straight when braking from 5th gear down to 3rd; and it’s not just at one track, so can’t blame it on the surface I guess. It’s much better these days, after all those changes, but I still lack confidence in the braking zone. I hope you find a solution to your issues with less drama...
sounds like I'll be wasting my money. I shall see...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts