Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a good set of HIDs, maybe halos for my 06 zx6r. Does anyone know of a good place to get them? I don't know how to install them myself, so I will most likely get them put in at a body shop.

·
Registered
442 Posts
+1 for DDM, but as for halos they would be from elsewhere. I don't think DDM carries halos..but I currently have DDM's on the bike/car/truck and have no issues with them. The longest pair being about 5 years old. Or if you don't want to mess around with them too much, but wanting a good retrofit. BKmoto seems to be a popular choice.

DDM's have a good "how-to" on their site, and honestly for the zx6r it is a very very simple install. I'd be glad, as im sure others too, will be glad to walk you through it if you run into trouble.

GL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really appreciate the support through these forums! I have never had that before. I am in San Francisco, I just bought my bike a few weeks ago, so I am still learning my way around it. I like the products on ddm tuning, just not sure what to purchase.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a core moto set, love em, super bright and no issues so far, had a bad experience with DDM on my Mustang but it is temper-mental with HIDs so not going to knock the actual company, most of my friends use DDM with no issues

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
not sure what a stator is :O
Stator is pretty much the alternator. But disregard that comment...hes just joking.

U need to buy this kit: DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits

Select the 35 watt bulb...that should be bright enough. The bulb type for ur bike is H7. Color is ur choice but 6K is gonna be bright white.
Heres a chart to help u decide

Once u get it we can help u install it. Its pretty much plug and play.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Stator is pretty much the alternator. But disregard that comment...hes just joking.

Select the 35 watt bulb...that should be bright enough. The bulb type for ur bike is H7. Color is ur choice but 6K is gonna be bright white.

Oddly, DDM don't do a kit that includes projectors; projectors must be purchased separately. For that reason I would be wary, because while they might be reliable, fitting HID's into non-HID (standard) projector housings is not just illegal, it's downright dangerous.

I have seen good things from The Retrofit Source Inc and BKmoto Your source for custom projector halo retrofitted StreetFigher headlights and quality bolt on hid projectors kits.. BKMoto in particular do a ZX6R kit, with photos of it installed. Yes the price is higher than DDM, that's because they include everything you need, including legal HID projector housings.

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^

Its not illegal over here in cali. Ive seen a million cars and bikes with HIDs without the projector.... Theyve never caused any issues with me.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
HardRacing.com... They're a recommended vendor and I can speak first hand of the quality. Great HID's and even better customer service.

·
Registered
159 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^

Its not illegal over here in cali. Ive seen a million cars and bikes with HIDs without the projector.... Theyve never caused any issues with me.
Fair enough, I don't live there. I did find CA Codes (veh:24400-24411) though that talks about "On a straight level road under any condition of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver."

To my mind this image sums up that HIDs in reflector housings are illegal on that basis alone -

You simple cannot aim any 'plug and play' system to shine the light in the right way. The light output is fubar as you can see in that pic. The differences are fundamental, not just a matter of 'lining them up'.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I dunno if any one has tried them, read some good reviews which helped in the ordering process .

OPT7 Motorcycle HID, a few of my buddies run these and said they work great ! Going to test them out, see how they do.

I would recommend installing a Relay as well, so you don't rely on the factory electrical to power the ballast.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I dunno if any one has tried them, read some good reviews which helped in the ordering process .

OPT7 Motorcycle HID, a few of my buddies run these and said they work great ! Going to test them out, see how they do.

I would recommend installing a Relay as well, so you don't rely on the factory electrical to power the ballast.
Ive tried these on my 300 and i loved them!! im about to purchase them for my zx6r! i never ran anything extra with these OPT7 HIDs and i never had any issues with electrical problems!

·
Registered
33 Posts

Looking at the DDM Kit for my 2014. Would I need to purchase any of the additional options, (HID harness, error eliminator, adaptor cables), or just the basic kit?

Also does this kit comes with two ballasts and bulbs like the picture suggests?

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
You dont need any extra stuff. The kit comes with 2 ballasts and 2 bulbs. U just hook it up to ur original headlight wires.

·
Registered
35 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts