Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out this weekend with some mates, sailing and mountain-biking. One of them (who I don't know a lot about) was leaving for Korea to serve soon, so we were giving him a sendoff as well. He is into bikes, and was really excited when I told him about my track day, and he wanted to do it as well. I brushed him up on everything, but the only hitch was that he didn't have a street bike (has got a DRZ at the moment). He said he'll try looking for one, but if that didn't work out, he'll just ride mine.

I screeched on the brakes right then, and tried to explain to him how the bike was personal to me and I trusted her with my life. He kinda got it, but told me that I was taking it too far. One of my other buddies (does not ride, and is an egotistical bastard of the highest kind), though (drunk out of his mind, as we all were) got off on to a rant about how I put 'machines' and 'tools' over friends. Made no sense to me, whatsoever.

I had said I trust the bike more than I do people (like when you say to yourself that the bike is more capable than you are, and she will make the corner even if you may not be able to... just hang on and comply). Wasn't thinking of friends or family AT ALL when I made this statement... more like strangers, women and intimate relationships. Never got a chance to explain any of this to him before I got labeled a 'commie' (clueless here... that chap is a conservative farmboy) and something along the lines of an ungrateful asshole (trying to condense stuff here) and heard out the entire tirade, hoping that I'd make better sense in the morning when we'd be less drunk. Another guy came to my defense saying that we all have our perspectives, but I was pissed by this time and wanted to die on the couch.

The next day I got called a 'superficial little fuck' and the ego-tard basically stuck to his version and said I put machines above friends. Obviously, I feel shitty, but I know that is the way I treat the bike and the car. It really is just me when I feel a touch of pain when someone else rides/ drives them. Especially the bike, which only I've ridden (if you discount the idiotic bald-headed salesman who sold her to me along with the Two Brothers on her). For everyone in that room that night though, the bike was just a product of capitalism (fucking conservatives) that the bank owns.

What am I missing here? Are any of your non-riding mates this assholish? Am I destined to not make sense to people who don't take riding seriously?

I'm drunk, sad and angry.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get it, I get you. Too bad they did not. You need new friends.
They're not too bad, man. They just do not get this aspect of my life.
I felt a lot of bitterness that came out during that outburst. Did not expect it at all.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm thinking it has got more to do with the fact that I said that I trust the bike more than I do 'people'... that seems to have brought about his 'every conversation is about me' persona out.

For the guy that says let him ride, it isn't possible at a track day when you're both in the same group, even if I wanted to. And I don't. Because bike. Because love. Because personal/ wifey territory.

Reactions: AlexZX6R

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If he says yes to that then you're fucked lol
That is his perspective.

It is not just a 'product of capitalism' for me. There is a lot of emotion invested in the damn thing for me.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Kindly elaborate.
Put more succinctly you came in here to bitch about someone being an asshole and not understanding your perspective and then proceeded to stereotype conservatives......no......"f*cking conservatives" as illiterate farmboys.

Put even more succinctly that's the pot calling the kettle black.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put more succinctly you came in here to bitch about someone being an asshole and not understanding your perspective and then proceeded to stereotype conservatives......no......"f*cking conservatives" as illiterate farmboys.

Put even more succinctly that's the pot calling the kettle black.
Honestly, no.
They are all die-hard conservatives (hence, the labels of 'commie' and 'capitalist product'). Please excuse the language... I am sloshed. And slightly mad.

They all know I'm liberal-leaning, and we've had arguments about it. I didn't say he was illiterate, but he is indeed, a farmboy. Brought up to vote red.

I am bitching about this, and I don't deny it. I wanted to know about a rider's perspective... and how they cope with those that do not ride. Making it a political debate wasn't the idea... sorry if you were led to believe it (I hear out both sides and agree with both on numerous issues).

Hope we're clear...

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Honestly, no.
They are all die-hard conservatives (hence, the labels of 'commie' and 'capitalist product'). Please excuse the language... I am sloshed. And slightly mad.

They all know I'm liberal-leaning, and we've had arguments about it. I didn't say he was illiterate, but he is indeed, a farmboy. Brought up to vote red.

I am bitching about this, and I don't deny it. I wanted to know about a rider's perspective... and how they cope with those that do not ride. Making it a political debate wasn't the idea... sorry if you were led to believe it (I hear out both sides and agree with both on numerous issues).

Hope we're clear...
Well, you're drunk, so I'm going to let this marinate until tomorrow when you've had a chance to re-read your posts :)

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, you're drunk, so I'm going to let this marinate until tomorrow when you've had a chance to re-read your posts :)
I'm not kidding, and I haven't overdone it due to my inebriation. Thank you for the consideration, but I doubt anything will change the next morning.

Believe me that there is a bit more to the story that I'm wary of sharing out here. I'll stop by saying that it is racial in nature.

Now, for the opinion that you've withheld...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know I'm a new rider so I'm just feeling things out. But I can't say I disagree. I have to know the bike will preform how it is supposed to. That's what keeps me alive when I ride. And to let someone else that doesn't even own a street bike ride it wouldn't happen. Not to mention most people don't understand how sensitive the controls are. My buddy cracks on me all the time about not taking off fast when he's on a cruiser. He doesn't get that my twist of the throttle is a lot more violent than his slowly pully away on his couch. One mistake he makes leaves you looking like an irresponsible asshole for letting him use it. They aren't geo metros. They can be dangerous to someone not used to the power and response.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Political orientation...couldn't give a fat rats ass.
I would be very cautious about loaning my bike to a first-time track rider. That being said, I did a track day yesterday, one of my mates had a buddy who's Triumph decided to be an elaborate paper-weight for the day. The Triumph guy had about 7 years of riding dirt bikes experience and my mate loaned him his track bike (GSXR600 '06:laugh), they were in different groups so no issues. Mr Triumph guy had an absolutely awesome time and was totally stoked. Later-on the GSXR600 developed a rattle and was later noticed to have lost an engine mount bolt, it was just bad luck, no one's fault, everyone was still happy.
Things can go right, things can go wrong, things can go wrong and still work out alright.

A track bike is going to hit the deck at some point, who is going to be responsible? (i.e. pay the bill)

·
Registered
57 Posts
explain that your bike is like your gf.
one hot tight sexy bitch, u want them to see and understand, but they ain't gonna ride it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts