Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Are you talking about the engine valves? I have not gotten there yet but assume its probably around 15k miles. It says in the owners manual and you should stick to that recommendation.

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
Yup, manual has the valve inspection (and adjustment when necessary) every 15k.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so what is the purpose of it?
sorry noob question trying to learn as many as i can.

·
Registered
332 Posts
so what is the purpose of it?
sorry noob question trying to learn as many as i can.
The valves in our engines get tighter over time since there is nothing there (such as lifters IIRC) to keep them in spec. So over time they just get tighter and tighter until you will eventually bend a valve if left unchecked. So they go in there and re loosen them back to spec for you if needed.

I just had mine done for the first time at 25k. Some say not to wait that long but I took a chance because I don't see myself spending 600 for it every 15k.

That's it in a nutshell correct anything if I am wrong I've never actually done it I just go off of what I've learned on here.

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
Well there are more than one, 16 to be exact. As to why; there needs to be a certain amount of space (clearance) between the cam lobe (which is what pushes the valve open) and the bucket (which sits over the valve). As the engine is run, this clearance can change for a variety of reasons, so it's necessary to go in and change the shim thickness (shim sits between the top of the valve stem and the bucket) so that the correct clearance can be achieved again.

*Edit*
Found a good illustration:

Reactions: Scorpi0

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
mine get replaced when it starts to sound like a lawn mower

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can you do it on your own or it requires a special tools to do it so you have to take it to a special mechanic?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Its probably about a 400-700 dollar job depending on the mechanic and shop you go to. Its not a verty difficult job but I personally wouldnt feel entirely comfortable doing it on my own. I had a buddy who is very mechanically inclined help me with mine.

If I didnt know him then I would have gladly paid the fee to a knowledgable reputable mechanic.

Reactions: morpheus

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
It can be done with a fairly basic set of tools, though I highly recommend using a micrometer to measure the shims instead of just going off of what size is printed on them. However it is also a more complex job to put everything back together properly and one that if you don't do right could grenade your motor. So I don't recommend beginners to do it unsupervised.

Reactions: morpheus

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its probably about a 400-700 dollar job depending on the mechanic and shop you go to. Its not a verty difficult job but I personally wouldnt feel entirely comfortable doing it on my own. I had a buddy who is very mechanically inclined help me with mine.

If I didnt know him then I would have gladly paid the fee to a knowledgable reputable mechanic.
how long did it took you guys to do it?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I do almost all my work on my bike, the only thing I don't mess with at this point is valves. I let an expert do that. But then again, I get my valves done for like $200-300 depending if they need to get adjusted or not.

If I paid $600, I'd probably do them myself.

You sound like an extreme newbie no offense, have an expert do it or take it to someone where you can watch them do it if you want to leave.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I havent needed to have mine done but that's how its going to be. If its under 500 ill have a shop do it. If no reputable shop will do it for that much ill do it my self. My biggest fear is they will take my money and not even do them since how would I know and it could be years before I notice or I may never notice... but if im paying to have it done I want it done!

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
how long did it took you guys to do it?
Did it over about 5 days. Probably 20 hours of work since we didn't exactly know what we were doing and I asked alot if questions which slowed the process

1 - 20 of 25 Posts