Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, running a 09 zx6r race bike. Recently changed the gearing from stock 16/43 with a 112 link chain to -1 +2. So15/45. However a 112 link chain is now to short and a 114 puts the axle block at around the 5th line back on the axle. The tracks around me are smaller and more technical so a short wheelbase would be ideal. Any ideas how I could shorten the wheelbase and maintain the 15/45 gearing?

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Hi, running a 09 zx6r race bike. Recently changed the gearing from stock 16/43 with a 112 link chain to -1 +2. So15/45. However a 112 link chain is now to short and a 114 puts the axle block at around the 5th line back on the axle. The tracks around me are smaller and more technical so a short wheelbase would be ideal. Any ideas how I could shorten the wheelbase and maintain the 15/45 gearing?
Use a shorter chain?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll be fine with the longer wheelbase. I run that combination but my 2009 is raised (a lot). Taller bike transitions better and holds a line better midcorner. I'll sacrifice turn-in effort for a more stable bike.
How much is yours raised? And how much more effort do you think it takes compared to before?

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
The 112 is to short and I can't get in on, the 114 has the axle back at the 5th tick mark
They handle much better with the longer wheelbase.....regardless what you think or anyone else has told you!

·
Registered
316 Posts
How much is yours raised? And how much more effort do you think it takes compared to before?
I'm not too keen on passing exact numbers on to other riders since it's very much a personal thing. However will tell you that on the 09-12 chassis, they like to be higher in the front and higher overall. That's everyone on every level of racing saying that from my conversations with other competitors down here.

If you have stock forks, start by flushing them in the triples. I've seen guys run them below flush as well, up to about 8-10mm different from stock. Then with the rear you need to find that sweet spot for swingarm angle. Personally, I like the rear a little loose. I want the bike setup so I can flirt with the traction limits with my right hand. A flat swingarm angle makes this harder, which is why raising it anywhere from 4-8mm (you can go more with a 16T front sprocket since this will keep the chain a little higher off the swingarm).

In the end, my setup gives me a longer trail number for a stable front end, an overall taller bike for midcorner performance and a longer wheelbase so I can play with the throttle. This does add to the physicality of the ride, but that's worth the cost in my mind. I'm so used to it now, I could really tell you how much more effort it takes. Not a lot, but it's more for sure. The ZX6R likes aggressive rider inputs, so you gotta give it what it wants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts