Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 636 and I found that if I take my hands off of the handlebars between 50 and 60 mph they shake. If I do at lower or higher speeds than that, they don't. Could the solution be as simple as getting my wheels balanced? Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
816 Posts
as well as checking the front wheel balance check the rear wheel alignment and dont go by the marks on the swingarm, these can be way out on some bikes.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I have an 03 636 and I found that if I take my hands off of the handlebars between 50 and 60 mph they shake.
Vitamins will keep your hands from shaking. LOL I dont think its a tire balance issue. I had a front tire out of balance and the front of the bike would slightly bounce at 105-115mph. It didnt shake. Warped rotors maybe. Describe how they shake. Left/right or vibration?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well like, imagine the kind of shake that a steering dampener takes care of, it's like a super minute form of that. Like a back and forth shake. Not anywhere near sending me into a take slapper or anything, but I was just worried that it might turn into something worse if I didn't take care of it.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Yeah me and mtp cant ride balance point wheelies.........yet that is !!!!!!!!!

:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Just make sure everything is tight on the front end for starters.

To see if the rotors are warped the cheap way:
Put the front of the bike on a front stand. Spin the front wheel by hand while holding a piece of something hard (like a ruler)very close to the side of the front rotors (one at at time). And see if the rotors keep the size gap to the object you are using as a measuring tool.
If the rotors are not warped the gap will stay the same. If they are warped you may see it touch your measuring object.

I'm very interested to know what it is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll hopefully be able to check them all this weekend and then I'll post with what I find out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
how many miles do you have on that front tire?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a relatively new tire, the guy I bought the bike from had it put on so idk the exact mileage but there is a ton of tread left still. And I don't think that it was the suspension, I checked it and it's pretty firm so I'm not sure. My neighbor is pretty motorcycle savy so I'll see if he can check it out.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I only ask because when a motorcycle tire starts to wear out, it cups at the tread. This cupping will present itself as a light head shake near the speeds that you're talking about when you take your hands off the bars.

If the tire is new, then I would pull the wheel off and take it down to an MC shop and have it balanced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts