Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
9,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few bolts that I need to replace on my bike, and since I absolutely hate drilling holes in them, and I need them to be drilled, I want to get pre-drilled ones. I should mention first that I'm not looking to spend a small fortune on them so I'm not looking for titanium, otherwise I would've bought the MSM ones. Just looking for stainless steel ones. What are some places to get something like this from?

The only 2 places I know of are ProBolt from UK which are very over-priced, and Racebolt, also from UK. Any other sources you guys know of? Maybe here in the US? If not I'll probably end up going with Racebolt since they have everything I need, but wanted to see if anyone knows of more local sources that would hopefully be cheaper yet. I'm basically looking at getting the following:

- whole set (10) of rotor bolts (these don't need to be drilled)
- whole set (4) of caliper bolts
- whole set (4) of axle pinch bolts
- optional...drain plug with magnet (Racebolt does actually have this, but that one's not a big deal because I don't really need it, and I know of other places like Moto-D and I think PSR who make them)

·
Director of Moderation
9,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ordered from Racebolt and it took about a week and a half or so to get my order and top notch stuff. I will order from them again.

·
Director of Moderation
9,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered from Racebolt and it took about a week and a half or so to get my order and top notch stuff. I will order from them again.

Good to know. And I'm jealous of all that hardware! That looks like a good $200+ worth of bolts! lol

Would love to get titanium, but too much money for me and it won't make me any faster :D

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Is there any chance a local machine shop could drill the bolts you already have?

Or drill a set of new replacements? Curious as to labor costs......

·
Director of Moderation
9,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there any chance a local machine shop could drill the bolts you already have?

Or drill a set of new replacements? Curious as to labor costs......
Well that's always an option too I suppose but that would be the most expensive option lol. My local machine shop has a minimum $50 fee, and with the number of bolts they'd have to drill it would end up being probably an hour of labor or so which would end up being around $60-80 (don't know the exact rate but it's in that ball park). At that point I might as well buy the pre-drilled ones, or spend $15 on like 3-4 1/16" drill bits and do it myself...I just hate doing that. Those little bits break so easily.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Well that's always an option too I suppose but that would be the most expensive option lol. My local machine shop has a minimum $50 fee, and with the number of bolts they'd have to drill it would end up being probably an hour of labor or so which would end up being around $60-80 (don't know the exact rate but it's in that ball park). At that point I might as well buy the pre-drilled ones, or spend $15 on like 3-4 1/16" drill bits and do it myself...I just hate doing that. Those little bits break so easily.
It's always seemed to me that it would be easier to drill allen heads, rather than six point bolt heads..... you only need to drill across the thing to get two holes.... Surely that is enough to safety wire?

·
Director of Moderation
9,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Who are you racing with that has the heavy wire requirements? WERA?
Nobody, it's just nice to have for peace of mind. I did however race with MRA this last year and they have by far the most strict safety wiring requirements that I've ever seen. Even the pins that hold the brake pads in have to be wired, and the rear caliper, and other things I wouldn't have cared about. CCS doesn't require any of this even, they're very basic but I'll be wiring my pinch bolts and caliper bolts anyway just in case.

I also want to do a weekend with CMRA at Hallett and I'm not sure on their rules for safety wiring, but I'd rather be prepared just in case. The ones I have now are the stock bolts and they've been drilled by the previous owner but I need to replace a few because they're a bit rounded off and I don't want to risk having to saw off a bolt just to take the caliper off :)

Also, previous owner must've lost a pinch bolt and replaced it with a generic black oxide socket head cap screw, which is all rusted now, and my OCD is making me want to have matching bolts that's why I want to get them in sets :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think moto d has all the bolts you need , no idea how they compare with price.

Yes you will need your calipers and pinch bolts safety wired for CMRA. Check the rulebook it lines everything out. MRA would let you just put a dab of silicone on the caliper pin bolt last I was there 2 years ago. Also make sure even if you have a K&N oil filter you safety wire it with a hose clamp.

FYI you don't have to take the calipers off to change the front wheel. Just pull the front fender then you can spin them out of the way.

·
Director of Moderation
9,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think moto d has all the bolts you need , no idea how they compare with price.
If they do it wasn't on their website. I only saw some of the ones I'm looking for and only in titanium. I am getting those safety clips from moto-d though which should make this even easier. I've seen people use those on pinch bolts where they align the 2 on each side and put a clip through it and done! No need to use any wire then and it takes a couple of seconds to remove. That's what I'm going for.

Yes you will need your calipers and pinch bolts safety wired for CMRA. Check the rulebook it lines everything out. MRA would let you just put a dab of silicone on the caliper pin bolt last I was there 2 years ago. Also make sure even if you have a K&N oil filter you safety wire it with a hose clamp.
They must've changed it. I tried the dab of silicone on the pins and the guy doing tech inspection said no, they have to be wired. So I had to borrow a drill and do it at the track. Broke a few bits in the process lol

CMRA doesn't let you use the pre-drilled holes on the hex part of the filter to wire it? That's how I've done it so far. And yeah I will go through the rulebook for sure when it gets closer. I have plenty of time since the event I'm hoping to go to is the one in May.

FYI you don't have to take the calipers off to change the front wheel. Just pull the front fender then you can spin them out of the way.
Really?? That's good to know...I'm gonna have to give that a try. On my CBR500 I could do that since it only has one caliper, but then after the first time I did it, I couldn't do it again for some reason lol...I think the tolerances are so tight that it only worked with very worn out brake pads. Once I put new pads on there wasn't enough room to wiggle the wheel out without removing the caliper.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Ah yes, I stand corrected on CMRA:

The following items must be safety wired, or secured in a manner approved by the
Chief Technical Inspector:
Axles or Axle Nuts
Axle Caps or Pinch Bolts
Oil Filler Caps
Oil Drain Plugs*
Oil Filter/Filter Bolts**
Oil Galley Plugs***
Oil Lines
Oil Cooler Bolt
Fork Oil Drain Bolts
Radiator Caps
Coolant Drains
Brake Caliper Bolts
*Quick release clips may not be used to secure oil drain plugs. Oil drain plugs must be
secured with safety wire only.
**All spin-on oil filters must be torqued to factory specifications and be secured with a
hose clamp and safety wire. This includes K&N oil filters.

Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association - Rule Book

Too much damn work for me. :)

·
Director of Moderation
9,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Holy shit...I stand corrected, MRA is not the worst apparently...might as well wrap the whole damn bike in wire! :cuckoo: Maybe I'll rethink my plan to go...

Ah yes, I stand corrected on CMRA:

The following items must be safety wired, or secured in a manner approved by the
Chief Technical Inspector:
Axles or Axle Nuts MRA had this rule too, I still think it's ridiculous. If you torque and wire the pinch bolts, it's impossible for an axle to just come out!
Axle Caps or Pinch Bolts
Oil Filler Caps
Oil Drain Plugs*
Oil Filter/Filter Bolts**
Oil Galley Plugs*** What?? Don't even know what this is.
Oil Lines Surely this is a joke by now...wtf??
Oil Cooler Bolt Once again...wtf?? Why??
Fork Oil Drain Bolts For realz?? Didn't even know forks had drain bolts until about 6 months ago. I always just turned them upside down when changing fork oil
Radiator Caps
Coolant Drains
Brake Caliper Bolts
*Quick release clips may not be used to secure oil drain plugs. Oil drain plugs must be
secured with safety wire only.
**All spin-on oil filters must be torqued to factory specifications and be secured with a
hose clamp and safety wire. This includes K&N oil filters.

Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association - Rule Book

Too much damn work for me. :)

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I have all the bolts you are looking for in titanium if that is the route that you wanted to go. Prices are well under Pro-Bolt. If you wanted to go with the entire package I can work with you on a set price. You didn't mention rear sprocket nuts but I included them below if you are going that deep. FYI the caliper bolts are the same front and rear.

Axle pinch bolts: https://madscientistmoto.com/product/titanium-axle-pinch-bolt-m8-x-1-25-x-35mm/
Brake Rotor Bolts: https://madscientistmoto.com/product/titanium-brake-rotor-bolt-m8-x-1-25-x-30mm/
Brake Caliper Bolts: https://madscientistmoto.com/product/titanium-caliper-bolt-m10-x-1-25-x-60mm/
Sprocket Nuts: https://madscientistmoto.com/product/titanium-sprocket-nut-m10-x-1-25/

·
Director of Moderation
9,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks PSlo, but I see you missed the 2nd sentence of my post ;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Holy shit...I stand corrected, MRA is not the worst apparently...might as well wrap the whole damn bike in wire! :cuckoo: Maybe I'll rethink my plan to go...
With USD forks you won't have to worry about a fork oil drain bolt on the ZX6R, silicone is fine on oil galley plugs (that is the *** by it), and all of that stuff is pretty well in line with any other racing organization in the country. CMRA has over 600 members that all seemed to get it figured out, so I have faith you could too if you wanted to :).

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts