Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says, im curious to hear what some of your first squid moves where. whether it was a wheelie, wearing shorts, flip flops and a wife beater. whatever!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never
wheelie is not a squid move unless you could possibly harm someone if something happened. not that i fancy doing them
i guess it depends on where your doing it...in my mind at least. i mean if you're away from people then go ahead, but if ur in town...squid. but thats just me!

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
It was 1987......riding a '86 FZ600. Rode by a group of kids doing about 40 or so in 2nd. Hit the kill switch, cracked the throttle a few times, turned the switch back on and............KaPOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The kids screamed bloody murder. They thought someone had shot at them :laugh. It was funny as hell, but vowed not to ever do it again.....(on purpose anyhow).

Attachments

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
I can't say I've ever done something squidly... although... I DID do a memorial day lap around Buttonwillow raceway with the crew for a "staff lap" wearing sneakers, shorts, tank top with back protector and helmet.. :D

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
It was 1987......riding a '86 FZ600. Rode by a group of kids doing about 40 or so in 2nd. Hit the kill switch, cracked the throttle a few times, turned the switch back on and............KaPOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The kids screamed bloody murder. They thought someone had shot at them :laugh. It was funny as hell, but vowed not to ever do it again.....(on purpose anyhow).
nice! Loved that bike back in the day. It's those old Yami's that I learned how to work on bikes. :D

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Used to have an 87' VFR 750 at 24yrs old that i took back and forth for school. Passed two cars before a bend. Just squeezed between the last car and an on coming car. Sold it right after that realizing I wasn't mature enough for the street yet.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I rode around town the first week Looking like a squid. Only actual protection I had was my helmet. I rode in jeans and a hoodie, for hand protection I used some of my old football gloves. I remember driving to go get a jacket and gloves the weekend after I bought my 636. I went for a ride as soon as I got home and felt a lot more confident wearing gear.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
nice guys. the bloody murder one is hilarious. must say.
Yeah, it WAS pretty funny at the time. Not only that, the guys told me that it would shoot a 5 ft long flame out the pipe. One of the guys in our group rode a Bandit that had a center-stand. He would LOVE to put it down while riding and it would shoot sparks behind him at us :no:. Between me & him, it was like watching a firework display every time we went for a ride :laugh. Everyone would jockie to get in front of us or they would stay WELLLL behind us. OMG, I'm literally laughing my ass off as I'm writing this. Damn, I miss riding with those guys in our hooligan days.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
On my first bike an 03 R6 about 9 years ago I decided to pull a wheelie in front of the Harley dealership in jeans, t-shirt, shorty gloves and running shoes. Pulled it up but ran out of room before the building fast approaching, put it down crooked and pulled the front brake while trying to make a turn to avoid the building and slid out on some sand. Bike kept going and my shoe was caught in the swing arm dragging me. I got up very lucky with a lightly scraped elbow and knee.

The Harley guys were really cool and ran over to help and made sure I was alright before I left, they were ready to call an ambulance and everything cause they thought I was done from how the crash sounded and looked.

From that day i have love for anybody on 2 wheels it doesn't matter what to me!

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I rode around town the first week Looking like a squid. Only actual protection I had was my helmet. I rode in jeans and a hoodie, for hand protection I used some of my old football gloves. I remember driving to go get a jacket and gloves the weekend after I bought my 636. I went for a ride as soon as I got home and felt a lot more confident wearing gear.
That sounds exactly like me!.. almost identical story except I had to crash to finally get gear...

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Oh man... my first squid move was creating an account here. What in the world was I thinking?

Jk.

The worst thing I've done so far was pull up in front of a store with this good looking chick walking out... thought I was in neutral... and stalled it. Hung my head in shame and went into the store.

Reactions: dj23bol

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Back in the day (which was a Wednesday, by the way) I was known to wear my AGV jacket and helmet with shorts, no gloves and low top sneakers...

For those of you who have met me in person, the jacket was a size medium - that should give you an idea of how long ago it was...lol

·
Premium Member
8,203 Posts
I can't say I've ever done something squidly... although... I DID do a memorial day lap around Buttonwillow raceway with the crew for a "staff lap" wearing sneakers, shorts, tank top with back protector and helmet.. :D
Come on now, we're all friends here. You can tell the truth :devious

I've never done the shorts or flip flops bit. But I did ride in a t-shirt back in the day when I had my 250 and it was a particularly nice night for a ride. Although, I wasn't riding like a bat out of hell either so I guess that doesn't count.

Edit: Although, I've been talked to a few times recently about my passing habits in canyons. I'm not sure if that's because they don't have the heart to tell me I'm riding squidly, or if they just think I'm a freakin' whackjob on two wheels.

For what it's worth: I never make a move that I can't calculate the outcome of. I will agree that I tend to push the limits a few times.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Come on now, we're all friends here. You can tell the truth :devious
OK OK... I DID ride from my work to lunch when I still lived in Santa Barbara last year in my slacks, dress shoes and a T-Shirt. Once! But it was a mile away and didn't go over 35mph...

·
Premium Member
8,203 Posts
See... it feels good to get it off your chest doesn't it. :)

For what it's worth, I even edited my response to reflect that I've been talked to about my passing habits. Which I still think are perfectly sound judgment calls. :D

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
For those of you who have met me in person, the jacket was a size medium - that should give you an idea of how long ago it was...lol
so... YOURE ANCIENT?!

·
Registered
95 Posts
My first full faired bike was a 96 YZF600. I really had a hard on for doing stoppies. I came down from one in front of my mailbox one afternoon and there was no earth under my left foot (ditch) and wound up wearing the bike on my left leg. That was the end of that shit. Scuffed up my baby and my leg. I think I was wearing shorts too. I was raised to wear a helmet but not much else. ATGATT now.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, it WAS pretty funny at the time. Not only that, the guys told me that it would shoot a 5 ft long flame out the pipe. One of the guys in our group rode a Bandit that had a center-stand. He would LOVE to put it down while riding and it would shoot sparks behind him at us :no:. Between me & him, it was like watching a firework display every time we went for a ride :laugh. Everyone would jockie to get in front of us or they would stay WELLLL behind us. OMG, I'm literally laughing my ass off as I'm writing this. Damn, I miss riding with those guys in our hooligan days.
haha it sounds like a crazy group of people that have a lot of fun memories for sure.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts