Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the typical should i stop riding question. I am moving to Colorado in a little less than a month and my bike has a power commander and was tuned here in south chicagoland. I am wondering how bad will it run when brought to 12000 ft above sea level? what are my best options on a low budget? autotuner (if so, how easy of an install)? remove power commander? other ideas?

·
Registered
442 Posts
autotune shouldn't be too hard to install. Just get a o2 bungle welded, the install looks to be pretty straight forward. You can always just get another tune done if you're going to be there for the long haul.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Sorry OP, I gave bad advice. I completely forgot that thestock header doesn't have an O2 bung which is required for an autotune :no

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
soo with the auto tuner, will a bung be included to weld on? or just take it to a shop and have them fab somethin? also will i have to use a new map for the autotune or will it make adjustments according to the custom map?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Just find a shop and have them re-tune the bike. That should be included in your "budget" if the bike is of any importance to you.

·
Registered
442 Posts
soo with the auto tuner, will a bung be included to weld on? or just take it to a shop and have them fab somethin? also will i have to use a new map for the autotune or will it make adjustments according to the custom map?
Yes, a shop will just cut/weld in the bungle for your o2. The autotune will make corrections to whatever is loaded into it. You will be able to see the corrections made and decide to keep it (from what I've seen on reviews). At the end of the day it'll get you close, but not as good as a real tune would. After the costs of the shop fees, and autotune purchase...you might be better off getting a real tune.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well its not a permanent move, 6-9 months, then headed back across country to east coast. So thats why i dont wanna get an actual tune again And the town i will be in does not have a motorcycle shop and the nearest citys are an hour in either direction, therefore I am trying to get somethin done before making the move.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well its not a permanent move, 6-9 months, then headed back across country to east coast. So thats why i dont wanna get an actual tune again And the town i will be in does not have a motorcycle shop and the nearest citys are an hour in either direction, therefore I am trying to get somethin done before making the move.
seems like the autotune would be your best bet, just make sure you save the new autotune maps separate and not overwrite your existing tune...unless you have that tune saved somewhere else.

Then, once you return back to the east coast just sell your autotune to me lol Ill be getting back from my deployment around that time and will be looking to purchase that...along with other goodies. GL

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Not the typical should i stop riding question. I am moving to Colorado in a little less than a month and my bike has a power commander and was tuned here in south chicagoland. I am wondering how bad will it run when brought to 12000 ft above sea level? what are my best options on a low budget? autotuner (if so, how easy of an install)? remove power commander? other ideas?
Where the hell are you moving? To the top of Aspen Mountain or some shit? lol

Aspen Mountain - 11,211 feet elev.
Snowmass Mountain - 14,098 feet elev.

:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, thanks for the advice guys! and sorry powergroove. Silverton, Co is where ill be. Elevation is only 9000 but engineer mountain is real closeby and that peaks at 12968 ft.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts