Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pick up a steering damper for a '13 ZX6R.
What are you guys using? Any recommendations?
Mainly use the bike for street riding and cruising.
Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Has any one used one of those eBay dampers. I was talking to a guy with a ZX1400 who had one and said it worked perfect for canyon riding. The quality looked surprisingly good for the price.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The mounting kit is from the 09-12 ZX6Rs. If you look at a parts diagram, which is readily available online, you'll see what exact parts you need. Keep in mind that just the stock Ohlins steering damper from the 09-12s are about $400 brand new. And they don't work unless you get a revalve. You're better off getting the mounting pieces and an aftermarket Ohlins damper which also costs around $400.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@almazing

The mounting kit is NOT from the ZX6R 09-12!! The ZX6R & ZX636R have complete different upper fork clamps.

@xezerax

It's the original kawa kit for the ZX636R 2013-15, available @Kawasaki dealers or online...

The Öhlins damper I've orderd separately!
It's the racing model with harder damping, so you don't have to revalve!!

https://youtu.be/YpfjNFa5Dqw

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Personally, running a GPR but if you think Ohlins is too expensive, you will say the same for GPR.

There is no such thing as an inexpensive quality steering damper, but there are plenty of cheap ones.

If you are strictly riding on the street, save your money for shark fins or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, im new to the forum and @ kawamarco636 i was just wondering whats the ohlin racing steering damper did you buy? can you please post the part number? thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Honest question @rrnold:

What's your problem with using a steering damper as a safety plus!?!

What's the problem with bike riders in US?

Why do they think it's necessary to discuss about the sense of a steering damper??

In Europe it's really not like that!

Nearly 95% of the Supersport drivers got one!!

Öhlins, Wilbers, Hyperpro, LSL, and so on...

And everyone in Europe knows tank slappers! Everyone had one sometimes!

And everyone knows that TS are the result of the extreme handling orientation of the Supersport bikes!

And the only reason why the 2013 ZX636R don't have one in stock, is because the bike would have get more expensive with one!

But why we have to discuss about the sense of steering dampers???

I really don't know why you can buy a +10k$ bike, but don't wont to invest 500,- $ to buy the one and only and best safety feature for your bike!!!!!

Big confusion here in Europe about US bikers!

Greet Marco

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honest question. What makes you think you need one?

For added safety. I'm a noob with about 700miles under my belt with the 636. Haven't had a tank slapper and hoping never will but that's probably unrealistic.
So if I can prevent it somehow with a damper then it's a huge plus for me.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Honest question @rrnold:

Personally, i don't see the need. If this is such a major safety concern for a bike, then the damper should come installed from the factory. In the case of my 2013, it didn't , it feels nice and stable, so why add one?

I've had two instances of "wobble" in 3 years, and they were very light wobbles for only about 1 second, nothing scary, and i still felt in control. They came after hard acceleration, from 0-70.

So, what's the big deal here?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Personally, running a GPR but if you think Ohlins is too expensive, you will say the same for GPR.

There is no such thing as an inexpensive quality steering damper, but there are plenty of cheap ones.

If you are strictly riding on the street, save your money for shark fins or something.

Disappointing... I expected more from you Slo.

We both know that all squids care about is LEDs.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Honest question @rrnold:

What's the problem with bike riders in US?

Why do they think it's necessary to discuss about the sense of a steering damper??

In Europe it's really not like that!

Nearly 95% of the Supersport drivers got one!!

Öhlins, Wilbers, Hyperpro, LSL, and so on...

And everyone in Europe knows tank slappers! Everyone had one sometimes!

And everyone knows that TS are the result of the extreme handling orientation of the Supersport bikes!

And the only reason why the 2013 ZX636R don't have one in stock, is because the bike would have get more expensive with one!

But why we have to discuss about the sense of steering dampers???

I really don't know why you can buy a +10k$ bike, but don't wont to invest 500,- $ to buy the one and only and best safety feature for your bike!!!!!

Big confusion here in Europe about US bikers!

Greet Marco

The point is that you don't need it on the street because you shouldn't be riding that hard on the street.

Use at the track is obviously a different story.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts