Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What mods, upgrades, and work have you've done on your bike for racing or trackdays. I'm very interested in major changes such as engine work or major suspension work. Pics are much appreciated!!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
You really don't need to do much to do a track day. Make sure everything is working and you have fresh tires. Some organizations require replacing coolant but most don't. Just go ride it and don't worry too much about prep if your doing your first track day.

Check coolant levels, oil levels, brake fluid levels. Fresh tires or tires with at least 60% of their tread left. Throttle should snap back when released and not be sluggish returning to cold. Brake pads should be checked and replaced if suspect. Chain should be clean, lubed and correctly adjusted. If you haven't already, set your suspension sag and if you've never messed with your suspension clickers, check and set them back to the factory settings.

You can always start adding more to the bike or replacing parts later if you want to continue with track riding. I've got a laundry list of things I've changed since starting but none of them are "required" to go have fun on the track.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
As far as "prepping" the bike for the track, just make sure there are no leaks or loose bolts, fluids are topped off, tires have plenty of life left, and brakes are bled with fresh fluid and have lots of pad life. Depending on the org you ride with, there may be certain coolant specs you need to follow and you may need to have key parts wire tied.

If you are interested in the go fast parts that you would want for a higher level of track riding or racing, you should focus on the most important stuff first which are tires and suspension. After you address those, the list is endless with upgrades.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think he is looking for more "what mods have you done to your bike for racing/trackdays"
I only think this because of the major changes portion of the question.

maybe?no?? Could be wrong.....

That's how i read it anyhow.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Q: I'm very interested in major changes such as engine work or major suspension work. Pics are much appreciated!!

A: I didn't change anything on my bike until I was A pace (fast group). Your bone stock ZX6R is much better a bike than you are a rider. Use the money saved for seat time, that will get you smoother, faster, and safer than any upgrade. If you get to a point where modifications are necessary, then the only 2 places I'd put money into are suspension and brakes. Power is not an issue for the ZX6R. I just finally got a Ohlins rear shock, on discount from RidersDiscount for $675 and Vesrah brake pads - though I had to readjust every single brake marker because they have a lot more initial bite than the stock pads.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think he is looking for more "what mods have you done to your bike for racing/trackdays"
I only think this because of the major changes portion of the question.

maybe?no?? Could be wrong.....

That's how i read it anyhow.
Yea your right! Might have worded it bad, looking to see what your mods are.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
People I'm not looking for advice on how to ride, I'm a WERA racer, can't figure that out from my sig? Post up your upgrades, mod work, ect....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Vesrah pads
Ohlins TTX MKii rear shock
Leo Vince full system
PCV with custom map (121hp at the wheel on 91 gas, done by Fastline, same shop that works on Chris Siglin, AFM #1 plate)
Vortex rearsets
Motion Pro throttle tube
-1/+2 Driven sprockets, 520 chain
Pirelli SuperCorsa SC2s
Galfer steel braided lines, front and rear
Armour bodies
Ohlins steering dampener
BMC race filter
Dynojet quickshifter
Vortex clipons
R&G case covers
R&G swingarm spools

·
Registered
381 Posts
ohlins forks
elka stage 4 rear shock
woodcraft clip ons
motion pro throttle
H.E.L steel lines
pcv with custom tune
flashed ecu
Hindle full race exhaust
revalved ohlins damper
vortex rear sets
did gold 520 chain
h&m quickshifter
k&n race air filter
Dunlop 211gpa
woodcraft engine covers
EBC race pads
I can't think of anything else right now...

wow look at all the goodies and money everyone has into their babies :)

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Two Bros CF slip on
SuperSprox lightweight rear sprocket
DID ERV3 520 gold race chain
Vortex rear sets
Rebuilt forks with Penske 20mm kit and sprung for my weight
Penske 8983 rear shock
Servo buddy
Jumper mod
TechSpec tank pads
Rear brake reservoir removal / Tygon 2375 Tube replacement
Woodcraft stator cover
Driven SAI blockoff plates
K&N air filter
Galfer braided line rear
Goodridge 1-2 Pro Kit brake hose
Carbone Lorraine C59 front pads
Vortex 7* 2pc clip ons
MotionPro throttle

I also replaced the crappy (IMO) front brakes with the 07-12 Nissin MC and calipers which made for a night and day improvement, but this is not something you need to address.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Vortex rearsets
HM Superlite qs
Stompgrips
Bikesplast fairings
LeoVince CF slipon (if that counts as an upgrade)
-1+2 vortex sprockets (520 kit)
Pirelli supercorsa SP + Pirelli rain tyres
Cobra SS brake lines
-09 zx6r calipers, sbs sintered brakepads.
Öhlins ka 502 rear shock, fine tuned by MÖR (1mm of stiction! Yay! I wont need to change for the rest of my life!)
Fork reworked by MÖR (3mm of stiction, im satisfied given i paid them about $400 to do them and the oem shock...)
r&g engine covers
fork and framesliders
Waterwetter cooling system
loads of other stuff like handlebar protection and so on, removed everything i didnt need. Im satisfied with the engine so far, the bike is again capable of going a lot faster than i am.

Reactions: moto82199

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Akrapovic ss racing line full system/ Ladybird super short ti can
Attack rearsets
Attack velocity stacks
OEM damper revalved
Ohlins TTX
Ohlins fork springs
Bazzaz ZFI-TC
Kawasaki KIT ecu
Rear brake res delete
BMC race filter
French Tubo type 4 carbon fiber brake lines
Braketech iron axis rotors/ Xrac pads
Rental clip ons/ carbon fiber clip on tubes
Motion Pro throttle
Brembo 19x18 mc/ Brembo short lever
Leo Vince carbon fiber case covers
Vortex keyless gas cap
Carbon fiber subframe
Carbon fiber tank guards
Pirelli Supercorsa sc v2

I'm sure I'm forgetting something

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Ohlins 25mm cartridge kit
Elka triple clicker rear shock
Ohlins steering damper
Leo Vince full exhaust
GB Case Covers
Woodcraft frame sliders
Woodcraft clip ons
Vortex rearsets
DID ERV3 520 chain
Driven sprockets
Motion Pro Revolver throttle
PCV
Dyno Jet auto tune
DynoJet quick shifter
Armour Bodies race bodywork
DZUS fasteners
CRG levers
Tech Spec tank grips
SS front brake lines
Vesrah brake pads
Keyless ignition
Puig race windscreen
Keyless gas cap
rear reservoir delete
Pirelli Diablo Superbike Pro slicks
Renthal grey grips
GP shift
captive spacers
K&N filter
Ivan's block off plates
R&G tank sliders

Also, I have a WERA license. I still need to work on my riding skills much more than I need to work on the bike. Pretty much anyone can race. It doesn't mean you are any good.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Leo Vince full titanium system
GPR steering damper
Yoyodyne slipper clutch
Vortex quick accel kit
Motion Pro throttle kit
Annatori quick shifter
Goodridge stainless steel lines
DanMoto rearsets
K&N filter
08 swingarm
06 front forks, calipers and rotors

Hopefully next month Racetech Gold Valves and springs

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I am surprised to see such long lists. Impressive. My best "mod" was formal training cuz the damn machine is far better than I am. Lol

I can't really justify many upgrades to an already elite machine that's a hell of alot Better than I am. I bought a slip on purely because I liked the sound and tank pads because I was worried about the downhill section at VIR. I am looking to upgrade the SV suspension to feel similar to my 636.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, I have a WERA license. I still need to work on my riding skills much more than I need to work on the bike. Pretty much anyone can race. It doesn't mean you are any good.
I know you are. That's a sweet bike! Wat tracks do you plan on doing?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I know you are. That's a sweet bike! Wat tracks do you plan on doing?
Thank you.

I only plan on racing Mid-O. Honestly I enjoy track days more than I enjoy "racing". My only two goals when racing are to not crash and to not come in last. So far I have been successful. :devious

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts