Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering what oil you guys use in your rides? I got the 3 years service plan so my oil changes are free but I need to ask them what they are using in it. I know its a nice dealership but I want the best in her. LEt's hear some input.

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mobil1 car oil, silver cap on it, usually in the 10w-30 flavor. I also use a Mobil1 M-110 oil filter, also for a car.

You also might try searching as this question has been covered before.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried searching but it kept giving me this annoying "must have more search terms" message.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They used castrol act-evo I guess. I think I am going to go with Castrol R4 Superbike next time though. It's a full synthetic. What do you all think?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
They used castrol act-evo I guess. I think I am going to go with Castrol R4 Superbike next time though. It's a full synthetic. What do you all think?
thats what i run in my 04 zx 636, it's good stuff and works great for the tranny also, expect to pay 10.00 qt for it, but rotella and mobil makes a nice synthetic oil for our bikes thats cheaper and to me just as good

·
Registered
29 Posts
Golden Spectro

I know some people think the stuff for a car is fine but I'll spend the extra whatever dollars just to be safe.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just started using Shell Rotella T 5w40 full synthetic in my bike. From my research online, seems like it is highly reccomended, and so far I like it. The bike shifts so smoothly now. And its only 17 bucks for 4 quarts at Walmart.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
211 Posts
Amsoil. Some other guy here posted a link to a .pdf file with TONS of research data on motorcycle oils. If I find it I'll edit my post. But yeah, I run Amsoil cuz a buddy of mine is a dealer.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I just started using Shell Rotella T 5w40 full synthetic in my bike. From my research online, seems like it is highly reccomended, and so far I like it. The bike shifts so smoothly now. And its only 17 bucks for 4 quarts at Walmart.
:stupid

50k miles on the stuff for my TLS (first 2k were dino oil, then next 8k were MX4T). Also have it in my diesel truck as well:)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Mobil1 car oil, silver cap on it, usually in the 10w-30 flavor. I also use a Mobil1 M-110 oil filter, also for a car.

You also might try searching as this question has been covered before.

That's not an energy conserving oil is it? Not good for your clutch if it is.

Do you know what the by-pass blow off pressure is of that filter is too? What is the by-pass blow of pressure of the OEM filter. If the car one is lower than OEM you risk circulating unfiltered oil.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use a Semi-Syntetic Motul. Goes great on my bike. it´s good for hi temperatures. it´s around 50 usd a galon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's not an energy conserving oil is it? Not good for your clutch if it is.

Do you know what the by-pass blow off pressure is of that filter is too? What is the by-pass blow of pressure of the OEM filter. If the car one is lower than OEM you risk circulating unfiltered oil.
I've ran that oil in the bike since 4500 miles and currently have 13800 on it without clutch issues.

Relief valve in that filter is 25psi, no idea what the stock filter is. I doubt that is a lower pressure than stock. Again, I've been running the Mobil1 filters since the first oil filter change on the bike and I change it every 3k miles with the oil. Did the same on my previous bike too. Never had any problems.

Lots of great information on oil and oil filters to be found here and it is all motorcycle specific. That link is specifically a cross reference for what oil filters will work on bikes. This one is all about whats inside oil filters and how they are made in general.

I might switch to the Shell Rotella stuff mainly because it is cheaper to buy in the stores than the Mobil1 stuff. I'm sticking with the Mobil1 filter however as it is one of the better filters that you can currently buy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you wanna save money, switch to the Purolator PureOne filter he reccomends on that website also. Half the price of the Mobil filter. Correct # for 05-06 6R is PL14610. It is the longer filter, so at first it doesnt look like it will fit, but once threaded completely it just clears the radiator hose.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you wanna save money, switch to the Purolator PureOne filter he reccomends on that website also. Half the price of the Mobil filter. Correct # for 05-06 6R is PL14610. It is the longer filter, so at first it doesnt look like it will fit, but once threaded completely it just clears the radiator hose.
I don't want to save money. All of my service work is free since I paid an extra 1800 for a 3 year full warranty and service plan. I am just curious what everyone is using. ;)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I've ran that oil in the bike since 4500 miles and currently have 13800 on it without clutch issues......
I had a look, it's the 5W/30 that is the energy conserving oil with the friction modifiers in it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The M-110 filter is also longer than stock. The water hose actually rubs the paint off the end of the filter on my bike. Ive got a "sock" that was on the hose from the factory that I zip-tied in place to prevent any damage to the hose although I doubt that would happen. The filter is only $10 a shot so its not too bad price wise even with changing every 3k miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts