Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So usually I pump gas at BP and fill my tank with premium (93) and my bike loves it!

Today, I had to go to my sisters house to pick up a camera and although I knew I should have pumped gas, I didn't. My gas light came on and I was on a highway and the only close gas station was a Speedway. I pumped a full tank, still 93, and my bike immediately started running like complete shit!

I literally wanted to flip my tank over and drain it but it wasn't really an option.

Does anyone else experience this?
What do you usually pump?

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
91 octane pump gas. Works just fine. I wish I knew which stations used ethanol to avoid them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've filled up from plenty of different gas stations (only with 93 octane) with my bike and have never really noticed a difference in performance (knock on wood). My only thought process when filling up is to go to the busiest gas station around and avoid the ones that care more about selling beer and cigarettes than gas. Usually the busier stations will have a larger incentive to maintain their underground tanks and keep their gasoline pure than the slower stations, because if one of those big tanks had water leak into them it would mess up a lot of cars and the station would have to fix them.
Also check out this site Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada and see if there are any of these stations listed near you (or anywhere you're going), its a list of stations that offer ethanol free gas which is way way better than gas with ethanol in it (most gas is 10% ethanol).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Back home in Arkansas I only ran 93 from Mapco or Shell.

Thanks to Uncle Sam, Air Force whatever I'm stuck in Idaho where all they have is shitty 91. So I use 91 from base b/c 1) I know where it comes from 2) I know it doesn't sit in the tank very long 3) and of course it's $0.33 cents cheaper as opposed to outside base.

Now if I'm out of base I find the nearest Chevron / Shell. B/c these are the only stations so far I can trust.

Also I run a fuel cleaner at least 1-4 times a month. Just seems to keep everything running smoothly, clean, etc

·
Registered
865 Posts
I run 91 with 10% ethanol from QuikTrip. It's right down the street and always busy so I know it hasn't been sitting around. I tried Shell once because it didn't have ethanol and didn't notice a difference.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Shell 93, almost exclusively. I use the GasBuddy app to find the nearest TopTier station and go there. I never really had a problem running BP 93 with my bike, but when I bought the car I have now (2015 Audi S4) they said use 91+ and don't use BP. I ignored them, obviously, and kept using BP 93...just to have issues with performance. Got GasBuddy, started using TopTier stations (Shell is one of the highest), and haven't had trouble since. I started using Shell for my bike too, and I've noticed an increase in power and reliability of power.

BP is now considered TopTier, but I still avoid it unless I can't find an alternative. GasBuddy helps you find a nearby station with the cheapest price, and I've had no more trouble with garbage gas.

Reactions: Zx6Nate

·
Registered
11,663 Posts

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
To the op sound like you got ahold of some bad gas. I would drain all the gas out, fill up with some good gas from another gas station and add some seafom to clean out wateva crap that might be in your fuel system.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
To the op sound like you got ahold of some bad gas. I would drain all the gas out, fill up with some good gas from another gas station and add some seafom to clean out wateva crap that might be in your fuel system.
This is more likely the culprit than anything else. You're not going to notice that much difference (if any) between 91 and 93 octane.

Couple of things.

- Always gas up at a busy station. They're usually filling their tanks for fresh fuel more often.
- Never gas up when the truck is there delivering fuel to the tanks. It kicks up sediments inside the storage tanks that wind up getting into your fuel and injectors. Can cause problems too.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Back home in Arkansas I only ran 93 from Mapco or Shell.

Thanks to Uncle Sam, Air Force whatever I'm stuck in Idaho where all they have is shitty 91. So I use 91 from base b/c 1) I know where it comes from 2) I know it doesn't sit in the tank very long 3) and of course it's $0.33 cents cheaper as opposed to outside base.

Now if I'm out of base I find the nearest Chevron / Shell. B/c these are the only stations so far I can trust.

Also I run a fuel cleaner at least 1-4 times a month. Just seems to keep everything running smoothly, clean, etc
Union 76 on State ST downtown Boise. Get that sweet sweet ethanol free 90 octane. It's down from my house so not hard to fill up there when I need it. Just a heads up when you're up this way! :)

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Shell 93, almost exclusively. I use the GasBuddy app to find the nearest TopTier station and go there. I never really had a problem running BP 93 with my bike, but when I bought the car I have now (2015 Audi S4) they said use 91+ and don't use BP. I ignored them, obviously, and kept using BP 93...just to have issues with performance. Got GasBuddy, started using TopTier stations (Shell is one of the highest), and haven't had trouble since. I started using Shell for my bike too, and I've noticed an increase in power and reliability of power.

BP is now considered TopTier, but I still avoid it unless I can't find an alternative. GasBuddy helps you find a nearby station with the cheapest price, and I've had no more trouble with garbage gas.

I like Shell too, but all of them around me have ethanol which I try to avoid on principal...

·
Registered
248 Posts

+1 on the Gas Buddy app it really is a good buddy lol I use it to find local chevron & shell stations

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Typically Shell, occasionally Exxon, very rarely BP.... almost never, AM/PM, Sheetz, WaWa.

It's more a matter of a station that has high quality fuel, and turnover. Stale gas from a tank that is leaching in ground water is always bad news. Filling the bike right after a tanker truck has filled the tanks at the station means there is a lot more sediment and water/crud in the fuel until gravity makes it settle out again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a buddy in high school put a chocolate milkshake into the fuel tank of his 89 Camry. He was drunk and low on gas. He made it home and the car still ran (probably would have made it without the milkshake).

I'm no mechanic but I wouldn't put things in your fuel tank that aren't recommended by your owners manual or tuner. Bike probably is running like shit because it wants 91 octane unless you have a tune for otherwise.

Higher octane =/= higher performance

·
Registered
97 Posts
For pump gas, I always try to run ethanol free 93 ....usually Mobil in the motorbikes. For the track VP MR12 for the tow vehicle, who cares......

In my experience, I have found ethanol really makes my Ducati run like shit...noticibly different big time......horrible stuff really.... Not politicking here.... Just don't like the end result how the motors run and the damage done....we'd all be wise to use gasoline without it. Getting harder to find pure gasoline for sure.

And NEVER store the motorbike for long periods with it in your tank weird stuff happens and it draws water.... Fuck ethanol: The rant - RevZilla

·
Registered
50 Posts
Shell 93 every time, except for a few one off scenarios where I needed fuel and was at the mercy of what was around, in which case I picked the cleanest looking and busiest spot. Prefer ethanol free, but no place remotely close sells it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts