Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a leather jacket (my first one) and I am wondering what any of you guys have tried and what your opinions/reviews are.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have Lookwell jacket and pants and are about 12 years old and are still looking like new.Rely good quality.There made in the Netherlands i,m not sure if you get them in the U.S

PS they have been tested a few times and certainly can take a beating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up the Alpinestars GP Pro and it's fantastic. I came from a Joe Rocket textile and really wanted a leather just for peace of mind. It's not quite as good at flowing air as a textile but so much more comfortable. It's also got the zipper at the bottom of the back for the lower of a 2 piece suit. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
I'm a fan of quality when it comes to protective gear so take a look at A*, RS Taichi, and Dainese.

I've got an Icon Motorhead which I love, but it is more of a casual look and neutral cut. I think it's the perfect beginners leather actually. Nice and thick leather, full ce shoulders, forearms, and has foam back pad. Also has some decent perf and fits a wide variety of riders. Plus the look is more subdued and it comes in a bunch of colors including kawi green :D:

Also have a Dainese TH1. You can always tell Dainese quality, it just feels different.

Anyways, if the jacket is $400+ and is full leather you probably can't go very wrong.

Next on the list for me is a Dainese Racing Leather. mmm

Check this'n out OP :p http://www.revzilla.com/product/icon-motorhead-leather-jacket

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Dainese is the only choice for me, but A*, Arlen Ness you can't go wrong with either. I would stay away from the cheaper brands Icon etc as you will end up buying another one soon after. Spend some money and buy a good quality one the first time around.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
I would stay away from the cheaper brands Icon etc as you will end up buying another one soon after. Spend some money and buy a good quality one the first time around.
Pretty harsh man. I might get it about some cheap mesh jackets or something, but my Icon is a quality piece. It's hanging right next to my Dainese and that's fine with me. You can look up plenty of pics of guys that have crashed in the Motorhead and it (and them) have come out pretty passable.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas guys. I dont want to skimp on quality, but I don't have a huge budget either. I guess I would like something around $250 if at all possible.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Pretty harsh man. I might get it about some cheap mesh jackets or something, but my Icon is a quality piece. It's hanging right next to my Dainese and that's fine with me. You can look up plenty of pics of guys that have crashed in the Motorhead and it (and them) have come out pretty passable.
No offense, I saw your reply after I posted mine. That being said Icon MIGHT be good for one crash but I've been down in my Dainese about 3 times now and it's still like new. You yourself mentioned the quality of your Dainese so you know and if you are happy with your Icon that's cool but i ride only track and I would never use Icon on the track, do they even make full suits? Icon is new company and they have come along way but they still have a way to go in my opinon.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I'm with Corvus.....I only have textile but my man's Icon Leather is awesome and held up beautifully through his crash a few years back. Yes, it was only one crash but the quality is tough and I have no doubt it would be fine through another....although hoping we never put that to the test.

I think you're right about them not making a full suit but if what the OP wants is just a quality jacket without braking the bank, Icon is good choice.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've been having a really hard time find gin a leather jacket that I like actually. I'm looking for a 40's-60's style, cafe racer'ish, brown leather jacket WITH shoulder, spine and elbow armor... I can find plenty that don't have any armor and every says "just fit them to take armor" but that changes the whole look and feel of slimmer leather jackets :/

On another note, I'm getting one of these Imperial White leather jackets made XD I cant wait to patch it up with other dorky emblems! lol

what do you all think?

Imperial Riding Jacket - Overview

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
There are so many to choose from, Some good some not so good.
The stitching is whats important, anything with single or double
stiitching, you want to avoid.

As I said lots of good brands, But one thats easy to find is Astars.
They make all round good products at a price most of us can afford.
Sure there are better brands out there, But there gonna cost more.
If ya got the $$$ Dainese, Vanson, Furygan are tops.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Thanks for the ideas guys. I dont want to skimp on quality, but I don't have a huge budget either. I guess I would like something around $250 if at all possible.
Ok just saw this, You can find a good jacket for that price.
You just have to look, check out closeouts, try eBay.
I once got a really nice lightly used astars for around that price off eBay.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Got my motorhead for $200 on eBay. Thing is brand new. Most important thing to know is your size in the kind of jacket you're looking for then jumping on a deal when it pops up. There are deals out there if you look a bit.

Got my Dainese for $150 and its in even better shape and fits better than the icon :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep. My plan is to take these suggestions and try them on in a store, but in the end order online to save money :bigsmile:

Got my motorhead for $200 on eBay. Thing is brand new. Most important thing to know is your size in the kind of jacket you're looking for then jumping on a deal when it pops up. There are deals out there if you look a bit.

Got my Dainese for $150 and its in even better shape and fits better than the icon :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I say go to a store with a wide range of jackets and try on as many as you can. Fit and comfort to me is first then protection than style.

Just my opinion though

Let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I'm Dainese all the way.
One of, if not the best leather companies out there. And it's cut perfect for me, like it was hand tailored for me.

mikemill, how are you cut mate? And whats your riding style? And what is the goal of this jacket?
Answering those questions will help know what route to go.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I wear an Alpinestars GP-R perforated leather jacket and love it. Still kind of warm for hot summer days but overall a great jacket especially when you add the Bionic/Bio Armor.

If I wanted to spend some money I would take a good look at the RS Taichi jackets. They do not get a lot of talk here but they are pretty impressive from what I have seen. I own their gloves and trust the brand.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I've got a A* GP-R perforated jacket as well and use it during the winter and summer months. Crashed in it once and the leather looks untouched. Knowing what I know now though, I would have invested the money in a 1PC or 2PC track suit and rolled around in a mesh jacket.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts