Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a small gas leak this morning.... What is this hole with a flathead screw in it? You can see it between the tank and the frame. I turned it in and out and I think it stopped leaking. For now.... Should I take it in or replace whatever the screw inside is?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
Can't tell with that photo. It may be one of your carburetor mixture screws.... if that's the case, you don't really want to ever have to futz with them. Once they're set up properly, they should never need to be moved.

As it is I'd suggest you download the shop manual for your bike and figure out what it is you are looking at. If there's fuel involved, odds are it involves the carbs, and that directly affects power, rideability, etc., etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's the mixture screw and it was leaking gas should I have the screw replaced? And what else would I need to have done if I do replace it?

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
If it's the mixture screw and it was leaking gas should I have the screw replaced? And what else would I need to have done if I do replace it?
Pull off the plastics, and get some better photos... there's enough people here with experience with that model, someone will be able to advise you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plastics aren't in the way it's behind the frame. Think it's the pilot screw ??. Here's another pic to show location.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it barely tried to turn over this morning then just clicked. Battery was on charger all night. My lights aren't coming on when I turn the key on either. Wtf happened it was running fine the day before.

·
Super Moderator
13,177 Posts
Well it barely tried to turn over this morning then just clicked. Battery was on charger all night. My lights aren't coming on when I turn the key on either. Wtf happened it was running fine the day before.
Pull battery take to autozone (or similar) have tested.

Ey3

Reactions: NitrusReigns

·
Registered
4,877 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could gas getting in the stator cause this because it was dripping from the screw onto the stator and running down the seams

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Could gas getting in the stator cause this because it was dripping from the screw onto the stator and running down the seams
Not likely. It sounds like the battery/charging issue is separate from the gas leak issue.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
hmmmm pics don't show much. I'm little familiar with this model & i can't tell what that is.
Not from those pics.
Remove the tank & take better pics.

As to the mixture screws, I would think if one of those was so far out as to leak, The bike would have been running like shit.

There is a drain screw on each carb, Its an allen head, The mix screws are flat head.
The drain screws need to be snug. don't over tighten them.

Another thing, My lights do not come on until the starter turns over.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
your just down the road from me (I'm 40 miles north of Jackson)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the leak stopped when I turned the screw. And it finally cranked after charging it all day. Then I let it sit an hr or so and it cranked again so maybe it just got flooded or something. I am gonna get my battery tested and probably gonna go ahead and get a new one. Thanks for the help guys.

Wow just got stoked to see oldninja is close. We should ride sometime.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
That is an allen head in your picture and by the looks of it........it is the float bowl drain

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is a flathead and it is screwed way up in the hole so I don't know why it would be leaking but it seems turning it helped. We'll see when I actually get to ride. Raining all week long...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's definitely the mixture screw cause the bike is running like crap when it starts to warm up. It acts like it's not getting enough gas and dies. Should I keep trying to turn it out and find the sweet spot or is there a way to gauge it and set it just right?

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
It's definitely the mixture screw cause the bike is running like crap when it starts to warm up. It acts like it's not getting enough gas and dies. Should I keep trying to turn it out and find the sweet spot or is there a way to gauge it and set it just right?
Gently screw it all the way in, then back it out 2.5 complete turns.... that will be pretty close to where it should be.

In truth, if it is leaking fuel from there, you should rebuild your carbs. If the rubber gasket for that point is degraded, odds are very good all the rest of them in all four carbs are in the same shape. Not to mention the rubber boots to the block, and air box, and the tiny little vacuum lines that run around, and your fuel lines, and your brake lines......

All that stuff gets stiffer as it ages. When it looses it's flexibility, it is prone to cracking. Carburetors rely on good seals to operate properly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts