1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Electric motor plug wires fried?

Ok, newbie here.

Here's the story

I have an 05 zx6r. I changed the battery and when I connected everything back to the terminals, one of my negative(-) wires was hiding and it touched the wires of the thing in the picture. It fried it obviously when I tried to start it. I think that its the electric motor but I honestly have no idea, also what is it going to cost me to fix this??

Also the fuel light and "fuel" is blinking when I turn it to on.

EDIT: I think its the wiring harness?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
That sucks, man. You may need to strip all the insulation/tape off of the wiring there and see if the spark cut one of your wires. Fix that shit and re-wrap it better and you should be fine. Make sure there are no blown fuses while you're at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks, man. You may need to strip all the insulation/tape off of the wiring there and see if the spark cut one of your wires. Fix that shit and re-wrap it better and you should be fine. Make sure there are no blown fuses while you're at it.
Checked the fuses, they are all good. Do you know what the hell that thing is or what it would cost to fix it?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Checked the fuses, they are all good. Do you know what the hell that thing is or what it would cost to fix it?
Nah man, sorry I can't really tell. If it were my bike, I would just remove all that tape, re-splice the wires, solder them back together, shrink wrap, then retape to make it look OEM again.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The little white plug with 3 or 4 wires coming out of it, right? That goes to your tank, its your fuel pump and level sensor. That's why your fuel light is on, because you melted the signal wire. When you cycle the ignition from off to on (not start, just on) can you hear the fuel pump prime? You'll hear the exhaust servo and secondary butterflies cycle through their ranges too, but the fuel pump primes as well. Open your fuel cap and put your ear in the hole, then turn the ignition to on and see if you can hear the fuel pump priming, just to verify that you don't need a pump too.

At the very least you need to replace the scorched section of that wire. Use the same gauge, back it out of the connector, strip it back a little bit (a couple inches) into the harness and replace it from there.

just having a cable touch that wouldn't have provided that result. It must have already had the insulation chafed off of the wires in order to get enough heat to it. Did it get pinched somewhere and ground the reference signal? like when you put the bracket back on that goes over the battery, any chance it got smashed in there? of the 3 wires, which one is burnt? or are all 3?

·
Registered
598 Posts
check fuses first, thats most likely it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The little white plug with 3 or 4 wires coming out of it, right? That goes to your tank, its your fuel pump and level sensor. That's why your fuel light is on, because you melted the signal wire. When you cycle the ignition from off to on (not start, just on) can you hear the fuel pump prime? You'll hear the exhaust servo and secondary butterflies cycle through their ranges too, but the fuel pump primes as well. Open your fuel cap and put your ear in the hole, then turn the ignition to on and see if you can hear the fuel pump priming, just to verify that you don't need a pump too.

At the very least you need to replace the scorched section of that wire. Use the same gauge, back it out of the connector, strip it back a little bit (a couple inches) into the harness and replace it from there.

just having a cable touch that wouldn't have provided that result. It must have already had the insulation chafed off of the wires in order to get enough heat to it. Did it get pinched somewhere and ground the reference signal? like when you put the bracket back on that goes over the battery, any chance it got smashed in there? of the 3 wires, which one is burnt? or are all 3?
I'm pretty sure all of them are burnt. It's possible that it got smashed in there but I think it wrapped behind the battery on the negative side and laid on the wires. A nice puff of smoke came from it. I can here the servo actuating when I get home I'll listen to the tank and check that out

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Well, if the bike runs for more than 30 seconds or so, then we know the pump works. I don't trust the fuel gauge anyway, since its just a warning light. if the warning was the only thing that was affected, then just go off the mileage, and you'll quickly learn how far you get to a tank of gas, just remember to hit the trip reset button every time you fill up! (I've forgotten a couple times)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts