Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to enter into the world of motorbikes, so I've been keeping an eye on the used market as more individuals sell their bikes before the winter months arrive. I'm searching for a normal style bike, but I'm not picky about the details. I'm just curious as to why the Ninja is so popular on the resale market. Ninjas outnumber other bikes by roughly three to one. I don't want to buy a sport bike because I don't want to be yeeting my body down a highway at 120 mph, but I do want to use a motorcycle for commuting and cruising. Is there something I'm missing with Ninja bikes? Are they a lot of fun to ride, and should I invest in one?

EDIT: Thank you all for your comments; I'm going to waste time at work reading them all. I appreciate everyone's unique viewpoints!

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
The term Ninja is generic; some models are far more suitable for day to day use than others. The super sport models are the least forgiving, most track focused production bikes Kawasaki sells.

The pluses are light weight, higher power, better suspension than less track derived models.

The down sides are cramped, forward canted riding position, limited steering lock, much higher insurance costs, and greater theft.

A 650 Ninja is a better commuter than a ZX6, in almost all circumstances. It’s not as much fun, though.

Any dual sport bike is a much better option for commuting, because of how you sit, and how easily they deal with less than perfect traction. Single cylinder dual sports can weigh far less than almost every other kind of street bike, are easier on tires, and are ridiculously cheap to insure. The long travel suspension can soak up potholes in ways SS bikes can’t even fantasize about. Usually there are good options for carrying baggage as well; something that is not as easy on an SS. It can be done, just not as readily.

·
Registered
791 Posts
This is the ZX6R forum so I'll focus on it first. Inline 4 cylinder that makes lots of HP for it's size. The bike is light for it's power. It is a very fast motorcycle! Yes there are faster ones out there but generally speaking it is in the fastest group of bikes. The handling is superb, with great brakes and great power. Riding on the street takes some effort but the reflexes are razor sharp. Go for the brakes, you are slowing right now and with no drama. Acceleration is very quick but the engine needs lots of RPM to make peak power so it can be a little tricky. I used to commute to work almost every day on my ZX6R. I fit the bike OK and the riding position was something I could tolerate. Yea most of the ride was tedium, poking along in traffic with not so much fun but every now and then an opportunity would would be there and wahoo it was a blast. I rode mine on long trips doing as much as 600 miles in a day. That was not so much fun as the seat was hard. If you could deal with the riding position and hard seat the bike could cover lots of ground. Could cruse at whatever speed the rider wanted to go.

Ninja is widely used by Kawasaki and they have used it on everything from a 250CC to a 1400CC sport bike. In addition they have the Ninja 1000 which is a sport touring bike with the emphasis on sport. The Ninja 650 is a sport bike that is not as powerful as the Z6R but is much easier to ride and insure.

Kawasaki makes great motorcycles and are very reliable. I have had 2 Kawasakis, two Yamahas, a Honda and a BMW. Honda and BMW have better fit and finish but cost more (lots more for the BMW). Don't take the Kawasaki to have bad fit and finish, just a tiny bit less and sometimes the castings are not as pretty as say a Honda but they are just as reliable. BMWs are a nice way to move lots of dollars from your pocket to the dealers :) and they are not necessarily as reliable as one might think.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
The Kawasaki Ninja is popular because they go fast for less money compared to other manufacturers. If you are looking for a Ninja that is comfortable for commuting (more upright seating position, softer suspension), then look at the Sport category (400, 650, 1000SX) on Kawasaki's website. The Supersport models (ZX6R being one) and Hypersport models are designed for track but can be also ridden on the street.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree for the most things RJ and AI wrote, except the Ninja 650 not being much fun. It is fun, I had a 2013 I bought new before I traded it for a little more power on my 2019 ZX6R. The 650 is a much better commuter bike due to the riding position, more straight up and great on long rides. 0-60, it is not as fast as the ZX 4.3 compared to 3.1 but, not much off, it is not a racing bike. However, a great, reliable, low insurance bike compared to the ZX.

·
Registered
791 Posts
^^^^^^
Damn, you can be a Kawasaki salesman ☺
I'm retired and it was a good way to procrastinate replacing a tub faucet valve body in a near 60 year old bathroom. LOL today I ran out of other stuff to do and had to fix the plumbing.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Tom Cruise............. TOP GUN

that is all...........lol

Actually Kawasaki sales have plummetted to about 10th from their high back in 2007 when only Honda sold more units....so I would say Kawasaki Ninja's aren't very popular anymore, but they once were the king of sales in the sportbike realm

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Reactions: alexhope

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Tom Cruise............. TOP GUN

that is all...........lol
I just re-watched it and the bike isn't in the movie much. In fact it's all stickered up (AF regalia whatever) which looks like arse. But yes, the movie definitely put the bike on peoples radar. Wondering if the new movie will do the same.

Reactions: riverszzr

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Because even as adults we're still enamored with Ninjas.

Kawasaki could have changed the name years ago. But because even people who don't know bikes know what a ninja is, they'll always be popular.

Kinda like Acura killing one of the best names for a car EVER. If they kept the 'Legend' they'd still be memorable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts