Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
1996 zx6r f trackbike
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stolen this idea from other forums but it seems to be a popular thread. Please post what you have done to your bike today, it can be anything from changing a bulb to a full engine rebuild.

To get started.. today I fitted a new slim start/stop switch, fitted an updated shock from a gsxr (thanks to brandon for some advice) and got my fuel tank repaired as it had a pinhole leak.

· Registered
306 Posts
I discovered a few days ago a small oil leak on the left side, removing the lower part of the fairing I discovered that the oil / water pump bleed hole was dripping, I have disassembled and I am waiting for both seals (oil and water) to hopefully assemble on Friday and test the weekend.

· Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
Pin holes are usually where water accumulates inside the tank, lowest point in the thing. If there were three caused by corrosion, I would expect more thin metal in the same area. Will you coat the inside of the tank to prevent further damage?

· Registered
1996 zx6r f trackbike
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pin holes are usually where water accumulates inside the tank, lowest point in the thing. If there were three caused by corrosion, I would expect more thin metal in the same area. Will you coat the inside of the tank to prevent further damage?
The guys at the shop have already sorted that out for me. We use them at work for radiator rebuilds. Not sure what it's coated with but it looks good inside and they pressure tested the tank. Not looking forward to an evening with nitromors though.

· Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
If the paint is well bonded to the metal, I would consider that to be the best possible primer for anything I would want to apply. Rough it up so the typical matte finish primer will stick well and get you to a uniform base colour…. Unless it’s saturated with oils it’s better to leave it alone, imho.

· Registered
1996 zx6r f trackbike
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's going to have to go back to bare metal and start from scratch. The finish on the tank was crap anyway, lacquer peeling off etc. The shop also used some sort of TFR to clean parts of the tank prior to repair. Going to strip it all then at least I know it will have a decent finish. Nothing worse than trying to patch up some shoddy paint.

· Registered
2005 ZX-6R Magma Red, 2021 ZX-6R Pearl Nightshade Teal
319 Posts
Today I drove by my parents house and waved hello as I passed by my bike, I'm pretty sure it waved back, hars to tell when it's so dejected and sad it's in storage 🤔

· Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
Mine is in the garage, parked ahead of my car. Nose pointing to the door, full tank of gas, most of the bugs wiped off. There’s enough room to wheel it out without having to move anything else (requires some agility but easily done).

When I have to go in the garage, it’s looking around my car, waiting it’s chance…

· Registered
9 Posts
The guys at the shop have already sorted that out for me. We use them at work for radiator rebuilds. Not sure what it's coated with but it looks good inside and they pressure tested the tank. Not looking forward to an evening with nitromors though.
I have stolen this idea from other forums but it seems to be a popular thread. Please post what you have done to your bike today, it can be anything from changing a bulb to a full engine rebuild.

To get started.. today I fitted a new slim start/stop switch, fitted an updated shock from a gsxr (thanks to brandon for some advice) and got my fuel tank repaired as it had a pinhole leak.

· Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
Not so much what have I done as what I will do when the parts arrive.... bought replacement heated gloves; this time Tour Master. When the kit arrives, I will get to the battery and replace the pigtail I have on there now for the last set of gloves (Sedici Hotwire) with the quick disconnect harness for the Tour Masters. Revzilla has my money, says they had the parts in stock, and we're still waiting to have them ship. Anyone who has been on this board long enough, will have heard me complain about 2 day shipping not meaning delivery in any sort of specified time period.

I did my part.... paid for the stuff that was advertised, and now have to wait for whatever BS it takes to get these things shipped out.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts