Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

What do you ride ?

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Kulture 
#1 ·
Well obviously a zx6r or you wouldn’t be on this forum. But what year? Show pics! Also do you own any other bikes ???

I just sold my 07 and bought a 2019 !
I currently own a 96 Honda shadow 600
And a Yamaha ttr125

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi all,

How’s everybody? New member (from London) and happy owner of a new ZX6R KRT 2020 since yesterday... 75 miles in already and getting used to the green little monster! It feels a bit “nervous” at low revs so far 🙄 (trying to stay around 4k rpms for initial brake-in... it’s tough though!!!). Used to ride a Honda CBR 600f years ago... This is a completely different beast... I cannot wait to rev it higher... 🥰

#6 ·
Welcome. Lovely bike.

Don't wait to rev it. Breaking in a motor is about getting the rings to seal well against the cylinder walls (stretch goal) and letting the bearings get their clearances sorted. The numbers mfg recommend are the most pessimistic possible, and have more to do with beginner operators than it does with good break in practice.

You won't go horribly wrong following that, but it's not accomplishing a whole lot.

As you already have experience with a 600 class bike, the only recommendation I would make, is to not operate the bike at a constant rpm. Max RPM should be avoided for more than a second; trying to go wfo from 3K is actually worse.....

#12 ·
These things aren't running well, below 5K, and don't REALLY wake up, until they are at 8K or greater. I'd think your would be fine getting it all the way up to 12K as sharp acceleration, then dropping back down. Steady state crusing speed, not that good of an idea. The engine needs to see changing conditions, for the rotating parts to move about as they will within the bearing races. Probably wouldn't want to push it all the way to max, until it's had an oil change, and maybe 1 or 2 K miles on it.

#14 ·
Mechanical stress goes up very quickly beyond redline.... with an absolutely fresh engine, it's wise to consider the redline to be lower in RPM than it will be after the engine is broken in. The harder you run it early, the better power it will make long term. That has to be balanced against overdoing it and potentially causing harm. Ride it hard, the first few weeks. Just don't run it out to redline, or stay at the same RPM for any length of time. Trying to run the bike from low RPM... 'lugging' the motor, is definitely a bad idea, no matter when in the life of an engine we're talking about.

Let the temp gauge come off the cold pin before you get frisky, and play to your heart's content. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.