Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Still high on adrenaline as I post this but, as the title states, I went down today on my way to work. So i'm here in NC its about 32 degrees this morning and I've been taking my bike to work because work is only like 10 miles down the road so naturally I'm trying to ride to and from as much as I can when weatehr permits.

So this morning as I turned right out of my apartment complex and I believe that the tires were to cold and the rear washed out from under me and I lowsided. Not sure entirely what happened, because I wasn't going fast, I didnt pin the gas, and Its my normal route to work.

Oh Well, guess shit happens.

[Side Note]
Do I need to replace my helm. I don't think that it hit, nor do I have any scratches or scrapes on any part of the helm. Jacket defiantly did its job.

Damage pictures to follow when I get to work

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
damn man glad your ok is the bike ok will you still be good to ride this weekend? there has been a bunch of our nc group going down moody went down last week i almost did when i got a screw in my front tire and couldnt steer and now you. BE CAREFULL out there guys.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need front and rear brake levers for the bike to be rideable. Front brake just snapped off. Mid fairing also has to be replaced and prob the lower sanded and repainted.

Besides that bike went down well. Hold up i'm uploading now

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and the handle bar end.. That shit needs to be replaced as well...

Erm, yeahh sooo like the body work on cars, i'm assuming bike fairings are either polyurethane or plastic?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
ya, some sites call it a cowling, fairing, or plastic-most likely cowling. I found a great deal on ebay just cuz I thought to search cowling instead of plastic or fairing. I have heard people say to replace the helmet if you crash because even a small crack could impair it's ability next crash, but if you did not hit, don't worry about it. I am worried that I will not know when my tires are warmed up when I start riding. I haven't rode much even though I have had bikes for 2 years.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Hey on your second pic it looks like the road is wet. Make sure you aren't leaking anything like coolant. Glad to see you are alright and a nice pair of frame sliders would of saved your bike from majority of the carnage.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DN,

Thanks man. That was after I got the bike back to the apartment. Actual accident happened some place else. That may have been by chain cleaner or wax on the pavement. I'll def double check when I get back home though.

Learned my lesson, buying sliders. Looks like I'll be spending around 400-500 to replace pieces. New Mid/Lower fairing, Rear brake lever (broken a bit), clutch lever.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
It looks like it held up pretty well for not having frame sliders. At least most of the damage is down lower where it less noticable

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
F'n murfys law..

So earlier this month, I switched companies (I'm in IT) then I switched back after a month, so my money has been a little "funny" for the holidays and what not. Today I should get paid from both companies and a good portion of my check is going to what? You guessed it.

I'll prob just end up replacing brake and mid fairing /w decals first.

I had my heart set on buying some knox handroids today =(

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Damn man... that sucks. Sorry to hear but glad you are all good. If you don't have any scratches or hits to the lid... it should be fine. But if had any impact at all with the ground. I'd get a new one.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PG,

Yeah man thats the prob. Its like pulling out. You think you did, but you can never be to sure. I think I'll end up with plan b and buy a new one before summer hits. There certainly anything visible or indicating impact or rashing.

I have a small tear on my jacket towards arm pit. I think the majority of the impact went there and that I held my head upright

Puns intended.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
:laugh

1 - 20 of 43 Posts