Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Weird Clicking noise - 2007 ZX6R

1K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Scumbag 
#1 ·
Hey I just picked up a bike from a salvage auction and I’m looking to flip it but it makes a weird clicking, almost stuttering when I turn the key on. I can’t seem to see an option to attach a video other wise I would. Anyone know what it is? Is it normal?

Thanks,
Zach

#3 ·
Maybe check the exhaust servo? My old bike still had the servo but the cables were cut and it would make a clicking stuttering sound when turned on.
Can you tell where the sound is coming from, general area?

#4 ·
Post video to YouTube then post the link.

Is this a KeyOnEngineOff state? Or KeyOnEngineOn?

My wild guess is Fuel Pump issue or exhaust servo issue. Under the seat is a large servo with two wires connected. If they are connected and hanging somewhere or connected and cut off, that could be it.

Does it have aftermarket exhaust?

#6 ·
It’s usually when your fuel pump doesn’t click and clatter with ignition you have problems lol.

but it firing up with just fluid is getting you narrowed down

Being a wrecked bike. Check all your safety switches. Tilt, kick stand all that. I assume the tilt sensor kills spark and fuel. I’m pretty sure the new gens kill spark and fuel. But in your case you may have a sensor tripped that’s only killing fuel and allowing it to fire on the fluid.

#8 ·
Before you go crazy buying a replacing a pump maybe pull your fuel hose off turn the ignition on and see if you’re getting any kind of pressure out of the hose. Being you may have stuff on the bike preventing the pump from pumping you could unhook it directly under your seat and run direct power to it and see if the pump will pump and start the bike

idk man. Lots of little trouble shooting things you could do. You will just need to start narrowing down the cause. Good luck 👍

#9 ·
Before you go crazy buying a replacing a pump maybe pull your fuel hose off turn the ignition on and see if you’re getting any kind of pressure out of the hose. Being you may have stuff on the bike preventing the pump from pumping you could unhook it directly under your seat and run direct power to it and see if the pump will pump and start the bike

idk man. Lots of little trouble shooting things you could do. You will just need to start narrowing down the cause. Good luck 👍
Ok so I just took off the hose and turned the key to prime the bike. It spit out a good amount of fuel in less than a second but wasn’t high pressured

#12 ·
That’s prob fine. Now you need to figure out if it’s actually getting to your injectors. Do you feel comfortable pulling the rail off and seeing if you’re actually getting fuel through the injectors?

if it’s getting fuel and only starting with starting spray how is the quality of fuel? Maybe at salvage it’s gotten water in it? Have you tried hooking everything up as normal giving it a little spray and seeing how long it will run after it burns off the starting fluid?

#15 ·
That’s prob fine. Now you need to figure out if it’s actually getting to your injectors. Do you feel comfortable pulling the rail off and seeing if you’re actually getting fuel through the injectors?

if it’s getting fuel and only starting with starting spray how is the quality of fuel? Maybe at salvage it’s gotten water in it? Have you tried hooking everything up as normal giving it a little spray and seeing how long it will run after it burns off the starting fluid?
I can try and do a little research and learn real quick how to pull the fuel rail no problem, how wild I test if there’s actually fuel getting to them? Would I need to hook up the fuel pump and a fresh tank and then keep it suspended up?

#18 ·
If fuel shoots out of the bottom.

Did you consider the bad fuel situation? Chances of fuel not getting through the rail would be pretty slim at this point. For a no run that would mean all Injectors are not firing. Would be likely. It honestly sounds like you are getting fuel. Just not good ignition fuel. Full of water or somthing? Easiest thing would be dump the tank and fill with fresh. If for no reason but to eliminate that problem.

RJ has a good Sherlock Holmes quote That would apply here lol.
I drained the tank a while ago and did my best to get all the gunk out but there wasn’t a lot to begin with so possibly just old bad fuel. I’ll test the injectors while I’m at it I guess and come back with my findings, thanks for the help

#20 ·
Well the phrase “all the gunk” is concerning. Prob keep an eye on that. With FI setups it doesn’t take much at all as far as contamination to cause issues

I have had good luck with removing tanks. Using 50/50 CLR and water. With some marbles if you have any loose flakey stuff or whatever. Slosh it around as best you can. Keep rinsing and rinsing

and If the tank is noticeable rusty use a good tank sealer. I personally use the POR brand.
I have an old pan head that actually had some very tiny pin holes and I wanted to salvage the patina on the tank. So I did the above procedure and used the por sealer. That was in the early 2k”s. and that tank is still good as ever. I keep it filled to the brim and ride it a few times a year and it’s never leaked a drop. I poured some left over POR sealer in a bucket of water once and let it harden. Once it harden into a “pancake” form I tested the strength and it’s amazing. It’s almost as strong as aluminum and if you hit it with a grinding wheel it will spark just a tad. No clue wtf they make it out of but it’s the best sealer I have found.

glad ya got her running tho. 👍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.