Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last summer I bought a ZX-6R and started going to the track. I really enjoyed open lapping, and decided to try a race. (The MRA, a Colorado racing group, has a program called Super Street, where you get to race without going through the normal race prep of the bike. So it was a low barrier to entry, and I took it.) It was a ton of fun. But in a group of 12, 2 crashed, and a third went off-track and nearly went down. It highlighted the risks, and gave me an idea....

The idea is for a website that lets you upload GPS data from your track day. It then shows results for each lap, and for a "race". (Whoever creates the race decides how many laps make a "race".) It then time aligns the data, and shows a virtual race, as though you had been racing head-to-head. (For multi-lap races, each persons fastest consecutive laps are pulled from the GPS data for the virtual race.)

I created the website, and I'd like your feedback: https://rasfre.com (If the link gets removed, it is in my profile; or type rasfre.com into your browser)

There is a race I created from open lapping at High Plains Raceway, it is the first race listed after you click the Races menu. Take a look at that for an example. (Note that I did not add time splits for each corner, or series of corners, but the website does allow that.)

Feedback please....
* Does this interest your?
* Would you create races and ask others to participate/upload?
* If others were posting their results to an event you participated in, would you then want to use the site?
* If not, do you just not see the need, or is it missing features?
* Anything else?

If you like the site, I'd certainly appreciate you sharing a link on any social media you use. I need grassroots help to make this work.

Also note that this is the first "public release". I've been using/testing the site, as have a few friends. But there will be bugs. I'm at the point where I am trying to assess interest so I can decide how much more investment (time) is warranted, or if I am the only one excited about the idea.

Thank you for reading this far, and I'd appreciate any feedback on the idea.
Paul Dunn

P.S. Please let me know if I've violated any forum rules; I know many forums are suspicious of threads like this. I'd be happy to edit the thread to remove any content not allowed.

·
Director of Moderation
10,518 Posts
This already existed. Done by Milestone...it's called MotoGP '19, '18, '17 and so on. They've had one every year for the last 12+ years. You're talking about a video game essentially. Stick with that if you think racing is dangerous because 2 people crashed in the first race you've done. The rest of us will grid up and race at the same time shoulder to shoulder if need be, like it has been done for many decades. Can't simulate the thrill of real racing!

Although racing can be dangerous, it's not as bad as some people think. I've done dozens of races where not a single person crashed out. I don't want to say it's a problem with MRA, because they're a racing org like most others, but the crowd in that area seems to have some problems. I've never seen so many red flags in a racing weekend that I saw at High Plains racing with MRA! People dropping like flies all day long. I don't know what it is about the Denver area but there are a lot of Rossi-wannabes there. Almost all my races there had at least 1 red flag, and multiple crashes. It was a shit show! I loved their pricing structure and the way they organize their classes, but too many idiots there that shouldn't be racing. Maybe those are the people that you should target with your site racing-sim idea lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This already existed. Done by Milestone...it's called MotoGP '19, '18, '17 and so on.
No. I think you missed the point.

I'm not talking about a video game. I'm talking about going out on the track, collecting GPS data while you ride, and being able to overlay your data against others. In the simplest terms, it is a lap timer where you can see everyone else's lap times as well. With the added benefit that you can actually see your GPS track played back, overlaid against others.

And I do like racing, I'd just prefer to do it in a time-trial fashion, not mass-start. For me, there is no extra thrill being around people; just more danger that I just don't need at this point in my life.

If you look at the site you will understand....

·
Registered
619 Posts
No. I think you missed the point.

I'm not talking about a video game. I'm talking about going out on the track, collecting GPS data while you ride, and being able to overlay your data against others. In the simplest terms, it is a lap timer where you can see everyone else's lap times as well. With the added benefit that you can actually see your GPS track played back, overlaid against others.

And I do like racing, I'd just prefer to do it in a time-trial fashion, not mass-start. For me, there is no extra thrill being around people; just more danger that I just don't need at this point in my life.

If you look at the site you will understand....

Their is a reason why club racing organizations exist. It’s for the people who want to be competitive. A track day is not a race. If you have people at a track day treating it like a race and people that are not, that is when someone can get hurt.

Seems like a cool concept. But you could be breeding track day hotheads, which we don’t need more of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A track day is not a race.
I only recently started with the motorbike on the track, but I've done quite a few days with a car. Everyone I have ever met at the track is trying to turn the fastest laps possible. All are taking lap time data, except the newest of people, who start taking times as soon as they find out there are apps for that.

So the idea is to be able to compare laps to each other, and see how others are driving/riding. What line did they take? Where did they make up or lose time? And allow some competition, while allowing people to spread out. The accidents I've seen on open lapping days have all resulted from people racing head-to-head during an open lapping day. My perspective is that this will lead to safer lapping.

That, and it lets people have a measurable way to increase skills as they progress; which may lead to people deciding to race once they have the skills.

So when you go to track days, people are not trying to go fast? Lap time is no concern? You wouldn't like to use this on lapping days prior to races to see how others are riding the track, in order to improve your racing?

·
Registered
619 Posts
So when you go to track days, people are not trying to go fast? Lap time is no concern? You wouldn't like to use this on lapping days prior to races to see how others are riding the track, in order to improve your racing?
Yes, people do ride aggressively.

Lap times should not be your concern.
-Lets say you are trying to do a fast lap and come up on some traffic (their is always traffic).
-You get frustrated and try to make a pass in a unsafe location.
-You spook the rider in front of you and he crashes and its your fault.
This happens a lot as it is. Adding a scoreboard to the equation would make it worse.

I would absolutely not like anyone to see data acquisition from my bike during practice. It would just show them exactly where they are faster or slower than you. This would give them information on where they could try to pass you or where you will try to pass them.

·
Director of Moderation
10,518 Posts
Yep, totally agree with ZX6Rguiy on all points.

Paul, I did not miss the point, I get it. I know it's not a video game, I was just being a smartass with that analogy. But it is a computer simulation of a fantasy race that isn't actually happening. You're basically taking X amount of consecutive laps that you did on some random track day session and overlay it to the same amount of consecutive laps that someone else did and see who was faster during those laps. But that's not even close to a race or anything that matters. The ZX6Rguiy said, it's a track day not a race, so now you'll get more people ignoring track day rules so they can get their 5-6 laps or whatever at race pace. In a real race you don't have to worry about people coming on track or leaving all of a sudden. Everyone is always at 100%, which is not the case in a track day.

That leads me to your statement: "Everyone I have ever met at the track is trying to turn the fastest laps possible" which is absolutely wrong. Everyone THINKS they're running as fast as they can at a track day until they start to actually race. I have NEVER made a personal best lap time at a track day. All of mine at every track I've raced at have been done during races not track day sessions. There is something about that competitive level and feeling you get during a race that makes you push a little extra and you could easily go 2 seconds faster. On top of that, many people at track days might purposely slow their pace down for various reasons, like testing something out on the bike, or trying out something new with their body positioning, or simply to ride along with friends and not push 100%.

The biggest thrill about racing is having a bunch of people around, all starting at the same time. Time-trial is different, that's just setting personal bests, but it's not real racing. And another fun factor of racing is passing people or being able to keep someone slightly faster behind you. I've had plenty of cases where I finished ahead of someone who was able to do faster laps, or vice-versa. Going fast is one challenge, passing the guy in front is another ;)

Also I agree that I wouldn't want everyone to see my data. I do use a data logger actually which tracks more than just GPS, but that's for me only. I don't want to give much away to my rivals lol Just like in a real race, if I'm racing with someone that's of very similar skill level, I won't rush to pass them. I may sit behind them for a few laps and see where I'm faster and then pounce at the end of the race. Those are the fun ones, when you pass someone on the last lap especially if it's the last couple of turns, just when they think they got it in the bag! :D

·
Director of Moderation
10,518 Posts
I was at THE TT, the Isle of Mann TT, this last summer. When I go back I'll be sure and tell them that "its not real racing" :)
I knew that would get mentioned as I was typing that :roll: That is pretty much the only event that does it that way, and they do it due to safety reasons. Not the same thing. Those are public roads, not race tracks. But even then, they do have REAL sprint races at some of those locations, like at Ulster and the NW200, just not the Isle of Man. And even at the TT, they start about 10 seconds aparts, so they can still race each other at the same time at some point during the race, just not at the start. They get a different kind of thrill from that...like going 190 mph on public roads through towns and just surviving it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts