Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 636 8k miles with power commander and micron exhaust.
So guys I have been experiencing 2 problems 1 is I have been having weak starts and sometimes it will shut off or not start and I will have to turn the key and restart but its always weak. My headlights are also noticeably dim, when I give some throttle they brighten up a lot. Is this maybe weak battery or stater? My second issue is I can hear a ticking when the bike is sitting and going, the tech at a shop told me its my cam chain.. if I start the bike let it warm to like 130 deg then turn it off and restart it after about a minute or two it will be significantly quieter... I can work on cars all day but have no real experience in bikes so this is my best explanation of the problems. If no one seems to know I can definitely post a video.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Have the battery and charging system tested. One or both are your weak start issue.

The noise is the cam chain. Do a search on "Kawasaki tick" and you will find a million posts on the topic. It's perfectly normal for these bikes and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
2004, if the battery is more than 2 years old and has been sitting for any considerable length of time, consider replacing it.

Like Natbrown said, it could also be a charging system problem so the voltage on the regulator rectifier and stators should be checked. But as with any electrical problem, battery first!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
If the lights get brighter when the rpms climb it would indicate the charging sytem is working fine.
but still wise to test it

Have you fully charged the battery? try that before you give in and assume the battery is bad.
It also cannot be properly tested without it being fully charged~ so if you do decide to take the battery somewhere to be tested, realize if it is not fully charged first it will test bad.

^ and I quite often get 8-10 years and even more out of motorcycle batteries, so 2 years is no cause for alarm on its age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts