Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to get some help with a strange problem.
I just picked up a 04 zx6r with 9k miles on it. Recently put in a new battery, changed oil, spark plugs, recharged the K&N air filter, and put the recommended amount of sea foam in some new gas(cause the bike was sitting for months with the original owner). Prior to this the bike ran really rough but no warning lights. When changing the plugs I found that a few of the wires going to the coils were chewed through(I live on Maui, lots of rodents) and some were half eaten through. I cut out any bad wires and replaced with new wires. Now when setting the key to on position it sounds like the noise the bike usually makes (fuel pump I believe) has gotten longer by a couple seconds. The bike fires right up and sounds healthier than before, but the oil pressure light is on and so is the FI light until the bike warms up and I lightly twist the throttle. The lights wont return until the next time I go to start it. Idles better, sounds better, rides fine. I have searched through a lot of threads but never found one that deals with this exact problem. Any help would be appreciated! :hail:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The fuel pump should prime for 3 seconds.. As for the FI light, you'd have to pull the code and see what it's telling you before we go any further.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I will better inspect the oil pump when I get home to the bike. And I put in Kawasaki 10w-40 synthetic and a new oil filter. Filled to the specs listed on the bike. Oil level is in the middle of the lines on the check window when its upright.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Aloha, thanks for the replies! And are you messing with me when you say oil pump wires? I thought oil pumps were gear driven? Should I also check my muffler bearings and headlight fluid? LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just read on a different thread that cracking the oil filter while the bike is running will push out any air that might be trapped. Since I only got the oil pressure light after the oil change this might be the solution. Still plan on checking all wires thoroughly. But not finding anything about the FI light problem im having. Most people say their light either stays on or blinks.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Most topics about subthrottle are gunna be off newer bikes cuz people put servo buddies on them. Your bike does not, I'd inspect wiring as that is going to be close to plug wires, right side under airbox

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your right, most threads I find are for 05+. And what do you mean when you say "Your bike does not"? None the less airbox is coming out for harness inspection!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts