Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the hell?? I put aftermarket signals on front and rear and now the signals flash too fast. But here is the odd part........I put the rears on first and had no problems. I put the fronts on and tested them prior to reinstalling the fairing and that is when the problem occured. Now the next thing you will ask is whether or not the wires are run correctly, whether the wires are different gauge's, and whether or not the lights are LED's. The answer is the front signals are not LED's (neither are the rears for that matter), the wire gauges are the same, and I tried both fronts with the wires in different positions on the oem wires (not like they are marked, coded, or just red and black, lol) and the results were always the same. W.T.F.?!?! I am not a rookie when it comes to wiring, heat shrink all the connectors, etc., but I also am not an electrician.......no blown fuses so far!! I cannot post pics because I have not joined a hosting service, but I have updated my garage. (Well, doing that now, after I am done typing)(Probably should stop typing then)

·
Registered
590 Posts
did they come with resisters?

the ones i bought for my bike did, if not you will need those to slow them down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No they did not, I assumed because they are not LED's. Plus, how come the rears worked fine, then the fronts f'd everything up? But that is what I thought too, so help with resistors? Size, brand, etc.

Thanks brother,
Gary and Sandi

·
Registered
590 Posts
as for size and brand, i dont know. I didnt use mine because it didnt speed them up that fast.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I know this is a shot in the dark but if you have a multimeter you may be able to measure the resistance from the connector to the bulb then (gasp) reinstall the OEM blinkers and measure their resistance. The difference in resistance will be approximately the size of resistor you will need.

Thing is, if it is blinking fast your meter might not be fast enough to catch the max resistance (unless you have a max R hold), but even then....

It should be good enough to measure the resistances without operating the blinkers, dunno. Again, just a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
590 Posts
might work but also seems like alot of work just to slow them down. Just ask a bike shop in your area what they recommend.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was actually considering measuring the resistance, but my flux capacitor is on the fritz. Also, THAT SEEMS LIKE ALOT OF FREAKIN WORK!! All kidding aside, and bonus points for whoever got the above cheesy 80's movie line, the problem with that is I am not that smart. Now that I have admitted that on an international website, I will cry myself to sleep, then try to seek enough therapy to muster up the courage to face the world and ask my local shop. Except that I hate them, so I will forge on. I really thought that only LED's caused that because of the amperage they draw. I will do some more testing and see what I can come up with. I know that a few of the aftermarket turn signals offer resistors, maybe that is the direction I should pursure.

Thanks again and best regards,
Gary and Sandi

·
Registered
299 Posts
:lol:

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
the guy who owned my bike before me did the integrated rears and flush fronts...and with mine, they blink normal when just the signals are on. But when i brake (the brake lights come on), and turn have the signal on, they blink fast. it's kinda wierd...but doesnt really bother me, so i don't mind.

·
Registered
99 Posts
you do not need to re-install the factory blinkers or unhook your aftermarket blinkers in order to test resistance, just go straight across. as for wiring problems theres not really anything you could have done... lights are non-polar.... they don't care which way current is coming from they'll work. and now thinking about it even if the lights are different resistances that is not what will make the change in blinking speed.... only thing i can think of is that some aftermarket signals need to have an aftermarket relay to control the flash rate.... check on the manufacture's website...

·
Registered
299 Posts
you do not need to re-install the factory blinkers or unhook your aftermarket blinkers in order to test resistance, just go straight across. as for wiring problems theres not really anything you could have done... lights are non-polar.... they don't care which way current is coming from they'll work. and now thinking about it even if the lights are different resistances that is not what will make the change in blinking speed.... only thing i can think of is that some aftermarket signals need to have an aftermarket relay to control the flash rate.... check on the manufacture's website...
and what do you think that relay has in it....

·
Registered
604 Posts
If LEDs, they usually have a faster blink rate with the stock relay...replace the relay and it should be fine.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I just bought one of these to cure that exact problem.

http://www.tobefast.com/c-led-electronic-flasher-relay-pr-955.html

I wouldn't use resistors, they'll do the job but they get really hot and can easily melt plastic.
your right, i forgot all about that, infact that is one of the reasons i didnt put mine in. they do get extremely hot which is fine, but you have to make sure you are putting them in a safe location away from anything that could melt or damage due to heat.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Less load = faster flash rate. Even though the new indicators might not be LED's if they draw less current you'll get a faster flash rate.

What's the wattage of the new globes?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Less load = faster flash rate. Even though the new indicators might not be LED's if they draw less current you'll get a faster flash rate.

What's the wattage of the new globes?
Good point, and to be honest I have not checked because I onlu associate a faster flash rate with LED's. That, and trucks without heavy duty flashers do the same thing when you hook up a trailer. Again, associated with drawing more as LED's do. But that makes total sense, so I will update once the relay is installed.

Regards,
Gary and Sandi

1 - 17 of 17 Posts