Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’ll try to keep it as short as possible. I have a charging issue after dropping the bike stator side (05 ZX-6R). After troubleshooting per the manual, I replaced the stator and rectifier (seems like the consensus is, if one goes, they both go). I also replaced the battery for good measure.

The replacement stator and rectifier passed every test per the manual, except the battery voltage test. When I start the bike, I get 14.28 volts, and it holds, but as soon as I rev the motor per the manual test, the voltage drops instead of rising. When I let off the throttle, the voltage goes back up to where it was at idle. The bike passes the A/C test, no problem.

The manual states that it can be either the stator or rectifier in this circumstance. I have 2 rectifiers I recently purchased, and one stator I bought. All 3 parts were used off eBay, and the sellers had 100% feedback over thousands of transactions (which is difficult while selling used parts).

Being that I’ve tested 2 rectifiers, are the chances high, that I got a bad stator? The symptoms are not the same as when I tested the original malfunctioning stator/rectifier, as voltage would not jump to anywhere close to 14, and the battery would drain rather quickly even at idle.

I know these charging issues have been done to death, but I have researched for hours upon hours, only to see varying opinions that lead me to where I am now.

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
2005 ZZR-600
61 Posts
How much does the voltage drop when it revs up? This might be normal.
My bike charges at about 14.2 V at idle, then drops to about 13.8 while riding. And I have no issues with battery discharging.
It’s strange that increasing rpm decreases the measured voltage, but if it’s still high enough, it’s probably okay.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both good responses, thanks guys.

The voltage doesn’t drop by huge numbers, and the higher you rev it, the higher it drops, but still stays in the 13’s. The battery doesn’t drain at all overnight, and it starts without issue so far.
I haven’t ridden it, to see where the battery’s at voltage wise afterwards. I figure that would be the next step.

As far as the magnets, I’m praying that’s not the case, as it’s above what I’m willing to do. They are still very strong when I pull the stator cover at least. Thanks again for the responses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts