61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
11,265 Posts
^^^ this ^^^

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
I was fine with everyone carrying on like normal and culling the overpopulated herd of morons on the earth by a few million, sadly some of the ones who truly need the culling would have had enough monies and corruption to buy their way out of anything including covid-19 just like they do everyday for all their crimes................

We are long overdue for some serious population reduction, just ask any of the morons who believe in and want to force the green new deal.....those fuckers should be the first culled out of the herd

·
Registered
464 Posts
Before I retired I did some modeling and analysis. As someone who is very interested in accuracy it is amazing to me how many folks make predictions and never check to see how close they were. Also did some statical analysis but always trying to understand what was going on not to move an issue with deception - "Lying With Statistics". Last night I did a quick look at the CV rate of infection or the percentage of the population in a state with CV. Very interesting. Surprise NY at the top but was surprising that in the middle was California just above Alabama. NJ and Louisiana are basically the same. I really don't expect it to go away quickly or to be as bad as some predict.

·
Super Moderator
12,246 Posts
This is best time to be a teacher, I begin to envy their "predicament".
As of this week NYC began classes online. What that means is that kids need to join Google Classroom where teachers post assignments. Just post it, mind you; there is no streaming of any sort.
The kids (read parents) must pick up assignments, complete and post them back. Sounds easy enough, unless you are the parent.
My wife and I are working from home now, but instead of doing our job we have to sit with the kids and go through the material that teachers posted. Otherwise how do even know they grasped it.
This is really frustrating and distracting. As a matter of fact I now work longer hours than before.
That's not just me, I hear other parents in my office are complaining about the same.
My wife is a teacher.

She’s actually having a pretty tough time with it. They are generally extroverted, and crave interacting with people all day every day. Our district has been doing learning at home with various successes. She has everything from kids with tons of computer and internet access to none at all. Her district has changed their mind basically every day on what is happening.

Our governor has said school is basically over for the year in terms of going back. Her district still hasn’t committed to that.

They are going to implement video chat classes here. Our major local ISP has offered free internet to anyone who doesn’t have it and is a student.

She’s got to deal with “how to make sure Jimmy can read the book” problems, plus her own adjusting to not interacting with 100 different people every day, etc. literally today she Amazon’d a kid a book.

I’m sorry you have to deal with your kids, but the teachers deal with 20x your kids every day dude. They are working their asses off trying to figure out how to get your kid to learn some shit while the world is changing. Most of them are dealing with all the same bullshit you are (virus, kids, work stress) plus they are trying to figure out how to help your kid know how to add.

My wife’s district had a meeting last week that they may “be late in being paid”. They will still be expected to work.

Teachers are truly special people.

Ey3

·
Registered
328 Posts
So how in the fuck are we projected to lose 80,000 people in this first “wave” of the virus while China has only lost 3,000 and leveled off after their first wave? I’m not buying this “commies are beating us” shit. From now on if anyone needs me I will be wearing my tin foil hat inside of my tin foil lined bunker, which coincidently is shaped like a tin foil hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

·
Registered
620 Posts
So how in the fuck are we projected to lose 80,000 people in this first “wave” of the virus while China has only lost 3,000 and leveled off after their first wave? I’m not buying this “commies are beating us” shit. From now on if anyone needs me I will be wearing my tin foil hat inside of my tin foil lined bunker, which coincidently is shaped like a tin foil hat.

My thoughts exactly. China has been dealing with the virus since December, they have 5x the population of the US, and yet they’ve only recorded 83k+ cases and 3k+ deaths? And supposedly they’re on the downward trend and trying to ease back to normal? Meanwhile, all of the sudden the US is expecting to lose 100k-200k lives from this? What am I missing here? Is China lying about their cases or do they have a vaccine that they’re withholding from the world?

·
Super Moderator
12,246 Posts
My thoughts exactly. China has been dealing with the virus since December, they have 5x the population of the US, and yet they’ve only recorded 83k+ cases and 3k+ deaths? And supposedly they’re on the downward trend and trying to ease back to normal? Meanwhile, all of the sudden the US is expecting to lose 100k-200k lives from this? What am I missing here? Is China lying about their cases or do they have a vaccine that they’re withholding from the world?

Well... there is always the option that China is lying through their teeth... which they are pretty well known for doing...

Ey3

·
Registered
62 Posts
In the UK the government have offered a Furlough scheme . The scheme is designed for companies that need to temporarily lay off their staff or reduce staff numbers.

I carry out boiler/plumbing repair work in London.
I am currently off work using my holiday allowance, as I have a vulnerable person in my household and cant risk working in London, catching the virus and bringing it home.
I was concerned what was going to happen in the next few months as my holiday allowance wont last very long and by the end of the week I was expecting to be forced into a decision. I would have had to either temporarily move out from where I'm living so that I could return to work or quit my job.
Luckily today my company have emailed saying the are taking up the government Furlough scheme for some of its workforce.
(Small company with about 8 engineers plus office staff, I expect reducing to between 2 and 4 engineers whilst the workload is reduced).
In this scheme the UK government will pay 80% of our wages up to £2500 per month. The company will then have the option to pay the remaining 20%, which my company has offered to do.

We're having a conference call meeting regarding this tomorrow morning but I expect it to last for a few months.

The scheme is to stop companies either going bust through wages with reduced income, or from laying off staff due to reduced workload.

Sent from my SM-A805F using Tapatalk

·
Skin Flute Master Instructor Level III
6,307 Posts
Y'all asking why China is beating us in this realize that they chained people's doors closed right?

American exceptionalism running wild rn

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have heard that very large numbers of cell phone in China disappeared from the network. Hummmmm They do have a much more authoritarian government and a culture of compliance compared to the US where we are all individuals exercising our freedom.

·
Registered
274 Posts
First, it's not a competition and no one is beating anyone (but Italy is way in the lead with Spain in second from what I can tell). Second, the Chinese lie. Third, they locked a city of 20 million down tight with martial law while western nations politely asked people to stay home and some listened while others didn't (spring break, anyone?). Finally, they built 2 new hospitals with a 1000 beds in 2 weeks just to deal with this virus. Has the US built any new hospitals this week? I'm sure New York would like some of that about now.

Also, realize that every time a predicted death toll has been announced it has been well high. First the fatality rate was 3-4%, then 1% and now it's looking more like 0.2-0.5% depending on the details of the local situation. The powers that be may have finally revised their models down to match reality but you never know. At a fatality rate of 0.2%, 80,000 deaths implies 40 million cases which isn't out of the question in a country with 340 million people and an extremely transmissible virus. That is only an infection rate of 12% and initial numbers predicted rates more like 40-60% over time.

Buckle up, it is still going to be a bumpy ride for quite a while yet.

Mark

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Italy is also using deceiving numbers.

Why have so many coronavirus patients died in Italy?

Prof Ricciardi added that Italy’s death rate may also appear high because of how doctors record fatalities.

“The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus.

“On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus, while 88 per cent of patients who have died have at least one pre-morbidity - many had two or three,” he says.

This does not mean that Covid-19 did not contribute to a patient's death, rather it demonstrates that Italy's fatality toll has surged as a large proportion of patients have underlying health conditions. Experts have also warned against making direct comparisons between countries due to discrepancies in testing.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Are we still panicking ? I feel like we should still be panicking.

Reminds me that I should watch this tonight.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
I am not pannicked and I don't really give any fucks either........

Gubmint abusing their powers and stealing more monies from taxpayers and cheating the system they themself rigged.

It is just too bad about 100,000 of the very tip top government workers would all fall over dead in a single instance......... America would be so much better off without all those fucktards!!!

61 - 80 of 119 Posts