Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are issues with the '07 valve cover gasket. There has been a recall on the matter. I'm on my third valve cover gasket for my '05 636. I never over-fill my oil, I use the recommended oil filter (not a larger one), my bike doesn't run any hotter than any other 6r's I know, and both times its been replaced it was at the dealership. A very good dealership at that. Does anybody else have this issue? Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Um......:O. Lol ok bro try pulling the valve cover yourself and put a new gasket yourself. It isn't hard. They probably aren't cleaning where the metal meets the gasket. If it doesn't sit properly it will leak. Hope it helps. And shit I didn't know there was a recall I changed my valve cover gasket cause it was leaking. :rant

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
That sucks man. Replace it yourself & see how that works out. If that doesn't do it, get some of that copper gasket maker & create one. It shouldn't leak after that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im going to get some of that High temp sealant and put a dab on this time 'round. Its red or black ill have to look. maybe that will seal up the little shit.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I gotta replace mine in a few days cuz im doing the valves on my 636. I know that the surface that the gasket goes on some sharp edges and can be a bitch to manuver into position so im gonna use some high heat grease to get'r to slide into place without damaging the gasket. Take the gasket out and see if there's any rips/tears in it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same issue though I have yet to replace the Gasket. I just got my bike like 2 weeks ago. I google shopped valve cover gasket and only got 1 result. Do any of you have an idea of where I should go to purchase one? Perhaps also what I can expect to spend?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I know that there are issues with the '07 valve cover gasket. There has been a recall on the matter. I'm on my third valve cover gasket for my '05 636. I never over-fill my oil, I use the recommended oil filter (not a larger one), my bike doesn't run any hotter than any other 6r's I know, and both times its been replaced it was at the dealership. A very good dealership at that. Does anybody else have this issue? Any ideas?
Does it leak near or in the same place? If so, I suspect that the cover or head deck is not straight. Most likely, it is the cover and that it has been tweaked due to over tightening the bolts. It is easy to do because they don't have to be very tight and even torque is important.
The quick way to tell is to pull the cover, remove the gasket and place the cover on a flat surface- mirror, plate glass or even a granite countertop. If there is a noticeable gap at a point then you have a warped cover. If not, then you need to check the head.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
man u do know the recall consist of the valve cover and o rings which is considered a kit. Before when this recall was issued kawi fixed all the bikes with the old valve cover which still caused the leak to happen. Later that year they upgraded that valve cover to make it thicker and included an O ring kit thing. Let your dealership know, maybe they keep replacing it with the old one.

·
Registered
639 Posts
are you just getting seepage? or are you leaking?...when i bought my bike, the original owner said he had the recalls fixed. i haven't had any major issues and this was about 2 years ago. i was looking at the cover the other day tho and there was a slight leak. i talked to my buddy and he said that if you aren't losing any oil, that this is just seepage...and it is normal and oohing to worry about. also, it appears to be an ongoing problem that when you do have it fixed, it does not change.

so check and see if it is seepage or if it a leak. if it is leaking, bring it to a dealer or try to address it yourself. but if it is seepage, don't sweat it.

i have an 07

·
Registered
29 Posts
Back in my shop days I did all "fiber" gaskets the same way. This includes valve covers, clutch covers, water pump covers, etc. This only applies when both sealing surfaces are flat.

1. Use a new factory gasket.
2. Coat both sides of gasket with Gascacinch Gasket Sealer and Belt Dressing
and hang to let dry.
3. Lap the sealing surface of the cover flat by using a perfectly clean surface plate (as mentioned above a piece of plate glass or granite countertop also works) and some 400-600 grit wet-and-dry sandpaper (the dark gray silicon carbide stuff). You'll immediately see any warping (usually around bolt holes) as the warped areas will clean up first. Lap just until the entire sealing surface is cleaned-up.
4. Check mating sealing surface of the engine case or cylinder or whatever for burrs or raised metal. If necessary fix with a fine jeweler's file.
5. Clean both sealing surfaces with rubbing alcohol to remove all traces of oil. You want the surfaces completely dry.
6. Assemble the gasket and cover and install all bolts finger tight.
7. Tighten the bolts in the sequence and to the torque as recommended by the service manual. This is usually a criss-cross pattern and a two-step tightening (about 50-75% torque first, full torque final).

Notes - If you must re-use an old gasket check it first to be sure it is not cracked or torn or otherwise fuxed up. Then soak it in alcohol, lacquer thinner, or gasoline to suck all the oil out of it. Let it dry then proceed to step 2. If you are working on some real weird POS and you can't get a new gasket and the old gasket is wasted, you can make one from the gasket material they sell at Autozone, etc. I prefer fiber gasket material over cork.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To fix this problem correctly you need to use what I used a high grade oil Pan gasket sealer from Lucas that comes in an aerosol can it's not spray on air assault it's like a can of whipped cream You need to use brake cleaner and make sure all surfaces are completely dry in oil free the bike needs to be in an upright straight position so no oil that's been sitting in the head can lean towards especially the left side while the gasket sealer dries Using a thin coat on the entire valve cover gasket and spark plug O rings when proceeding to put the valve cover back on tighten the bolt in an ex fashion starting from the middle in working your way out from left to right I forget what the exact torque amount is but go a little bit more than what it is Let's just say I put them tight i all so used sealer on the bottom of the washes of those as well After You complete the following procedure leave the bike in an up right straight position so it is not leaning to the left or right bike stand picking up from the rear Leave bike in this position for 24 hours in a indoor setting with no moisture and over 65゚ So the sealer can dry adequately Also I run in all of my vehicles and bikes Lucas oil stabilizer 20% mix into the oil makes it a little bit thicker if you haven't noticed I really like Lucas Products they should actually pay me for promoting their product but whatever you know why because it fucken works So since I'm the only one responding and have had great success let me know after you fix your bikes at least say thank you have a good night everyone O in don't be lazy replace the spark pluges while you're in there In a little bit a Lucas fuel injector cleaner goes a long way lmfao

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
To fix this problem correctly you need to use what I used a high grade oil Pan gasket sealer from Lucas that comes in an aerosol can it's not spray on air assault it's like a can of whipped cream You need to use brake cleaner and make sure all surfaces are completely dry in oil free the bike needs to be in an upright straight position so no oil that's been sitting in the head can lean towards especially the left side while the gasket sealer dries Using a thin coat on the entire valve cover gasket and spark plug O rings when proceeding to put the valve cover back on tighten the bolt in an ex fashion starting from the middle in working your way out from left to right I forget what the exact torque amount is but go a little bit more than what it is Let's just say I put them tight i all so used sealer on the bottom of the washes of those as well After You complete the following procedure leave the bike in an up right straight position so it is not leaning to the left or right bike stand picking up from the rear Leave bike in this position for 24 hours in a indoor setting with no moisture and over 65゚ So the sealer can dry adequately Also I run in all of my vehicles and bikes Lucas oil stabilizer 20% mix into the oil makes it a little bit thicker if you haven't noticed I really like Lucas Products they should actually pay me for promoting their product but whatever you know why because it fucken works So since I'm the only one responding and have had great success let me know after you fix your bikes at least say thank you have a good night everyone O in don't be lazy replace the spark pluges while you're in there In a little bit a Lucas fuel injector cleaner goes a long way lmfao
Air Assault?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts