Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

Last week I measured my clearances and found that one of my intakes, and all of my exhaust are out. So I took the shims out, measured them with a micrometer, tweeked them all by about a size (0.05mm) and after re measuring they had gone way past the tolerance. Even the ones I didn't touch are measuring different. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Computer Font Personal computer Rectangle Parallel

Intake tolerance 0.11-0.19
Exhaust tolerance 0.21-0.31

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
not really uncommon...

I always loosen all the cam cap bolts a bunch then re-torque them then remeasure before adjusting.........

You'll have to change the shims yet again.....it happens

Reactions: laggy311

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
A hassle but you will have them correct which is good. I had a BMW F800GT with the Rotax parallel twin. Bought it used and purchased a service contract at the same time from the dealership. It's not a common bike and it had more miles on it than any they had seen (last time they saw it was 30,000 miles). LOL picked it up from a service after the second valve check and the tech said something about the intake valves being very loose. He wrote down the clearances - they were all set to the exhaust specs!!! Think valve clearance checks were every 12,000 miles so would have been at the 24,000 mile service. Not a great engine but it was sturdy and reliable and never gave me any trouble.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Wow that would have been good to know. Thanks Haynes manual 😂
Download a factory manual from here:

It may not always have the answer, but at least it came direct from the horse's mouth...

Mark

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Wow that would have been good to know. Thanks Haynes manual 😂
Happens to all of us. Side effect of dealing with 1/1000ths of an inch.
I also shoot for low side of range, as valve buildup TENDS to give you in, or out, of range to the high side. So between now and next valve adjustment, you’ll most likely be in range.

Although severe buildup on top of valves is a whole other problem. I hen I went in at 14-15k, I was ecstatic to see at least 80% clean intake valve seats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts