Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone come acros a set of usd forks of another bike to fit the g/j mode zx6r? was looking at them on my mates zx7r and was wondering if the 7r forks would fit. the stem for the yokes look like they may want moding but has anyone herd of a set of usd forks being put on the g/j models? if so what bike and year was they? thanks wayne

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
think it was a 2000 model.. He used the triples as well i think too.. PM him.. he still gets on here time to time

·
Registered
794 Posts
im running a set of 05 forks on my 98 model zx6r.

if you do a stem swap anything from 05-09 fits if memory serves me right

·
Registered
24 Posts
u531355 did the 05 forks just slide in or do you have to change the tree's

also is the 98 front wheel and brakes work no problem. I no dellsninja did the whole swap. if not needed im changing mine i love the gold color

·
Registered
794 Posts
i used 05 forks which gets rid of the need for spacers on the calipers like you need for 03-04 forks
you will have to swap over to 05 calipers since the forks are set up for radial mount calipers
i had to use 00-02zx6r or 05-08zzr600 wheel spacers
both front ends use the same axle
and i had to press the stem out of my triples and press it into the 05 triples.

all that is with the 98 front wheel i have recently swapped to newer wheels

you'll need diff clip ons and they will interfere with the ram air covers but you can run cbr1000 clip ons and it should fix that

you lock cylinder will need some massaging to work with the top triple but it didnt matter to me when i did the swap cuz i moved the ignition and shaved the mount off

with enough lookin you can get the whole front end fairly cheap and other than the stem swap its all simple bolt ons

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hi mate,

The non radial 12r forks are an easy swap, mine were only complicated as the guy I bought from supplied the wrong top yoke. If you get the right set they go straight in (same head bearings) and I kept the original wheel, from memory I used an A1p spindle and had to space in the calipers by about 4mm to meet the 320mm 12r disks. The 4mm spacers should be the only custom part you need. I had Nissin 2 pots but the original Tokicos have the same bolt spacing

The front felt better, but was a bit oversprung - I imagine the late zx6 forks would be more suitably set up plus you get better brakes.

Here's what I did:
Board Message

And the bike:

·
Registered
18 Posts
im running a set of 05 forks on my 98 model zx6r.

if you do a stem swap anything from 05-09 fits if memory serves me right
wonderful people, please help..........
I have a 97 zx6r, and due to multiple reasons, had to move engine onto 98 zx6r frame..

I have encountered obvious problems, but my issue is this

how on earth do I get my 97 forks to fit onto the 98 frame??........ I have a new tyre, brakes and rim on the 97... the 98 has broken calipers bent rim etc etc etc(prefer not to use it)
the stem is shorter than 98 stem..
help
help
help
help

·
Registered
18 Posts
i used 05 forks which gets rid of the need for spacers on the calipers like you need for 03-04 forks
you will have to swap over to 05 calipers since the forks are set up for radial mount calipers
i had to use 00-02zx6r or 05-08zzr600 wheel spacers
both front ends use the same axle
and i had to press the stem out of my triples and press it into the 05 triples.

all that is with the 98 front wheel i have recently swapped to newer wheels

you'll need diff clip ons and they will interfere with the ram air covers but you can run cbr1000 clip ons and it should fix that

you lock cylinder will need some massaging to work with the top triple but it didnt matter to me when i did the swap cuz i moved the ignition and shaved the mount off

with enough lookin you can get the whole front end fairly cheap and other than the stem swap its all simple bolt ons

wonderful people, please help..........
I have a 97 zx6r, and due to multiple reasons, had to move engine onto 98 zx6r frame..

I have encountered obvious problems, but my issue is this

how on earth do I get my 97 forks to fit onto the 98 frame??........ I have a new tyre, brakes and rim on the 97... the 98 has broken calipers bent rim etc etc etc(prefer not to use it)
the stem is shorter than 98 stem..
help
help
help
help

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
So I have a 2002 with pooped folks and are silly with price are you saying 05 folks would git a 2002 as the 98 to 02 fits most??.?
You need the triples, the bars, the brakes, the brake lines, the wheel, the axle, the spacers, the fender and everything in the entire front end........... then you need to press out the steering stem from you old lower triple and press it inot the new lower triple from the front end of your choosing!

it is not just the forks and it is not cheap

1 - 14 of 14 Posts