Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my recent track day I decided to go ahead and upgrade my rear shock. I have a 1999 G2 trackbike running the standard (old and rusted) rear shock. Now I'm planning to use a 2011-2013 ZX10R rear shock.
I've checked the parts compatibility list and it says that the 05+ ZX10R rear shock can be fitted to my bike with modification unless I use the corresponding linkage for that shock.

Now my question is this, the shock I'm proposing to use has a single armed dogbone where as my G2 has the two thin dogbone links.

Am I going to be able to use this shock or am I best finding a different one?

Jordan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
U might be able to fit it but no gurantees. The dogbone looking things or tie rods, might have to be modified to length but even then the compression will be off therefore defeating the whole purpose of upgrading. I'd call the specific manufacturer & ask if the lengths etc will fit for your year bike first before buying

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going on that info am I best to measure the spec of my shock and match it as best possible?

Also are their any specs that NEED to be exactly the same as my current shock?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
This all depends on what your trying to accomplish. It's going to change a lot of things. Some you may want, some you may not.

Changing shock length will change rear ride height. This is going to change chassis geometry. Change rake and trail. This will effect turn in, stability and can be very dangerous if it is too radical.

Changing link lengths can change ride height, with similar geometry changes to changing shock length. It can also change leverage ratios and schedules. It can make the ride too soft or too firm. And it can make that change depending on suspension travel. Might be much softer early getting much stiffer as the suspension is compressed. Again, this will effect chassis geometry and handling.

Going to an different damper you may or may not get valving that works with your chassis and riding style. Then again, you may not.

This is a very complex subject and would require a LOT of detailed information about the dimensions of every part involved to provide even an idea of what the resultant changes will be by the swap. This is something best done in consultation with a suspension engineer. I would start talking with the guys at Race Tech or Traxxion Dynamics or another suspension tuner. They may have some idea of what you should expect.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great reply there, I was sorta hoping it had been done before and I would get a distinct yes/no.

I think of I can get it for the right money then I'll try it out and have the lads at mallory park set it up for me. If it turns out shite then I'll sell it on and buy the 02 rear shock :D

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I got j2 found the rear shock a bit soft and worn,i fitted a c1h rear shock,but id did lower ass end but to over come that i got new dog bones,there a bit stiffer than j2 zx6 but depends what your after,you can get one for about £1oo on ebay

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
dunno it worth a shot the g shock looks nearly similar to the j2 shock,not sure if the width were it goes on the linkage maybe different though ?a grinder could adjust that lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right guys, decided on the ZX9 2002 rear shock. Got a great deal on eBay - paid £65 posted after some haggling. It also has a maxton spring fitted. I know this to be a simple unbolt old and bolt up new so I've already took my old shock off. Whilst I was there I also shimmed the rear b another 3mm as I have my old shock preload to the highest setting. Hoping this will be a good baseline for the new shock setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts