Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum members. Im looking for some input, I finally got my bike almost road ready but hit a problem. My Bike had been sitting all winter while i had done work to it, New tires, new sprockets, new fluids, valve adjustment, plastics repairs, etc. When i put the bike on the stand the front brakes worked before we bled brakes and put new brake fluid in we noticed the brake had no pressure. Also figured that after putting in new fluid and bleeding problem would be fixed, but to no avail bled correctly pumping 5-8 times and holding lever in while bleeding. Started at master cylinder bleeder nipple then went to calipers using the same pumping methods. The front brakes do not grab at all or have any pressure. I was thinking about rebuilding both mc and calipers but after that it would be about 100$ so i was debating an doing an upgrade? If that were the route what would you guys recommend, which braking systems are the most compatible with a 06 636 as well as get the best reviews? thank you for you input!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
07/08 calipers are a direct swap and are much better than our crappy tokicos so I've heard

Reactions: scoot33

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I'll say that I put on SS lines right after I bought the bike and have regretted not doing the calipers and MC at the same time ever since I put the dang thing back together. At the end of this season, I'll need new brake pads and will be taking the time, then to swap out the MC and the calipers assuming I can find a decent deal on them.

Hope that helps - there's tons of info here on the site with regard to all that stuff. Best way to search, in my opinion, is to use google instead of the forum search tool and just input something like "zx6r.com: 05/06 brake upgrade" so that it searches this site first.

If you need more help, feel free to let us know!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If i get 07/08 calipers then I'm gonna need a 07/08 m/c or a brembo 19x18? cash is a little tight so id rather the cheaper option. was hoping to get away with just a rebuild kit on the mc and the 07 calipers. but some research shows that i may need new lines as well.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
You can use 07 onwards calipers, your standard mc , rebuilt or not ... Your standard lines, .. Personally never skimp on brakes.... Ive got zzr1400 calipers with 310mm zx636 2014 discs, 5mm spacers, hel lines on ebc sintered pads and rbf 600 brake fluid, Brembo mc ..awsome set up...1 finger braking...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input I don't want to skimp if i wanna go fast im gonna have to stop fast, which is why I will be upgrading lines and Mc within the month. However got a lead on a 07 r6 caliper and break setup. Would that be a decent upgrade or would the 07 zx setup be better.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Man, this topic gets covered often! People need to start searching before they post. I am in a good mood today, so I will respond regardless :)

The 05/06 MC has a known pressure loss issue that can be easily fixed with a cheap rebuild kit. The kit costs around $55 from any of the online OEM parts distributors.

The better solution, though, is to just spend a bit more and get a nice 07+ MC off eBay. They can usually be found for less than $100, have no known issues, and have a larger piston which leads to a firmer, crisper, and shorter lever. If money is no issue, you could also spring some extra cash for a nice aftermarket unit like the Brembo RCS.

Your 05/06 Tokico calipers should be fine, although in my opinion they pale in comparison to the 07-12 Nissin calipers which are a direct swap. I made the upgrade and the difference out on the track was night and day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your good mood and your response. I've done lots of research and seen lots of posts but wanted my specific questions to be answered which you did nicely thank you for your response ebster

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Ebster, so will a 09-12 MC fit in place of my standard one, and would that be a better place to start instead of calipers? I can get the lever to the grip just about and although it's not really an issue because I'm a 4 finger braker, I'd like to get more feel in my brakes for when I'm at the track

Thanks

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
You can use R1 & R6 calipers too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just swapped in 08 ZX6R calipers, SS lines, and rebuilt my stock 06 MC. The difference is amazing although I can't give you an idea of what made the biggest difference as I did it all at once.

Kawasaki has a revised part number for the 05/06 master cylinder internals that solves the known issues with the stock parts. This supposedly gets rid of the squishy feeling they are known for. 07+ MCs have a different bore size which would give even a firmer feel but you would also need the matching lever as they are not compatible with the 05/06 levers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
What year r1 and r6 calipers can we use?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Ebster, so will a 09-12 MC fit in place of my standard one, and would that be a better place to start instead of calipers? I can get the lever to the grip just about and although it's not really an issue because I'm a 4 finger braker, I'd like to get more feel in my brakes for when I'm at the track
Yes, its a direct swap, and 07-12 are all exactly the same MC.

And yes, I would start here and worry about the calipers later. The 05/06 MC is the problematic component, not the calipers. The 07-12 calipers are much better, though :p

Is this a direct swap? or will you need spacers and 310mm rotors?
I have read that it is more or less a direct swap, but you will need to remove the caliper bolt inserts as kawi does not use those guides.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
05/06 has a 14mm piston, which really is marginal at displacing enough fluid for piston size in the calipers......... thus why the new master cylinders with 16mm or even bigger pistons work better

But you can use the 05/06 master and make it work, the revised piston assembly from Kawi makes it better, and while not as good as the bigger pistoned models it will work

·
Registered
26 Posts
I upgraded to the 07/08 calipers and master cylinder just last week. The hype is real. They bolted right on, and the brakes feel amazing now.

For a few days, while waiting for new braided lines, and an 07-08 brake lever(they are different, I know now) to come in the mail, I installed the 07/08 calipers with the stock 06 master. They made a HUGE difference. For me, the problem was clearly in the Tokico calipers.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Steel Lines, Nissin Calipers, stock Master cylinder. Nissin calipers helped out a lot with brake feel, and the EBC HH pads made a world of difference braking wise.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
yep love those nissin calipers ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts