Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have ridden my 09 ninja 250 for a few months and am still very much so a beginner even though I've learned so much. Recently I was offered a partial trade, my bike and 1000 cash for this guy's 05 zx6r with 13k miles. His wife wants the ninja. He won't budge from 1000. I'm only 17 and honestly probably shouldn't be on a zx6r, but am more interested in whether you all think it's a decent deal. What i might do if i feel it's too much power is sell it and get an sv650 or ninja 650 (my first bike).

http://images.craigslist.org/00Q0Q_4rfbacR84f3_600x450.jpg

·
Registered
223 Posts
The nice thing about the 636 engine; any 600 engine is you really don't get any real power out of it till you hit 10,000 RPM. I think it's a great deal, just take your time and get used to the power before you ride it hard.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'd hop on it. That's a good deal...if anything you could resell the 636 if it's too much for you. Just make sure he isn't dumping his problem on you

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. Get the 636 and great accustomed to it and have fun. Shit you can get hurt riding a Huffy down the side walk.:coocoo

·
Registered
388 Posts
Let's put it this way... you won't want to get rid of that 636. :)

Just respect the power it has, it is no joke compared to 250 where you can go WOT through every gear.

EDIT: Forgot the "deal" part. Most 250 in my area with 2k-5k miles go for average $3,000 for a good deal. Sold my 2010 250 for $2800. So add the $1000 and essentially that is what you are paying. SO. Based on avg price $4000 for that 05 636 with 13k miles is what you're getting. It's a decently fair price but I would want to pay $3800 (assuming it's stock and in decent condition), but for whatever it's worth you are also getting a trade so your bike is gone and new bike is in all same day. No selling your bike and waiting for a deal to pop up. I would take a look at what you'd be paying for the 636 on insurance too. It's substantially more than the 250.

·
Registered
223 Posts
17...on a super sport..

add a pinch of salt, and you've got the perfect recipe for disaster.
You can't judge only on age, there are plenty of older people that ride stupid and wreck. I'm 19 and started riding a zx7 at 17; as long as he's not an idiot he'll be fine. I've always found 600's to be fairly tame until you really want power out of them. If he isn't pushing the bike constantly there shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
At 17, you should really check if the insurance rates for the 6R will not decimate your wallet first.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Do it

·
Registered
167 Posts
i'd say do it. Admitting to everyone that you aren't ready to be on a super sport is enough to show that you are mature enough to upgrade to a bigger bike.
In a car, I speed like no other and do stupid shit. But when I first starting riding my 250, I was completely different. I rode it for a few months, got the basics down, put in a few thousand miles, and sold it.
Few more months later, I got my zx6r, and don't regret it so far.
It's all about respecting the power and knowing YOUR limits. Just remember, the super sport can do the 250's top speed in 3rd gear (maybe a little exaggerated).
--Also, ride with people that go your pace, not douches who call you a pussy for not wanting to race, you'll end up with nothing but scars and a shitty story.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. I jumped from 250 to 636 after 9 months of riding.At 17 bad idea. Insurance rates, or if you ride without insurance it is a matter of time before you get pulled over and bam expensive tickets will leave you broke either way. That is unless your parents are taking over your tab.

You don't need a bike to get laid man but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i started riding at 17 with ducati monster 696 and im still kicking now riding a 636, the biggest reason i think that people are equating age and bike size is cause when you are our age the entire indestructibility complex is the biggest thing against us, but just listen to older riders and never think you are better than you are at riding being humble and being smart on the streets is the biggest thing to keep you rubber side down, and dont let your other friends who ride goad you into riding about what you know you can do, its not worth it, and for the record insurance will be a bitch mine is close to 200 a month

·
Registered
495 Posts
At 17, you should really check if the insurance rates for the 6R will not decimate your wallet first.
This.

Oh, and don't listen to the guy saying "you don't get power until 10k". The powerband starts around 9-10k, but there's 5x more power everywhere else in the range than the 250 had in the powerband. With a 636 you can pull from 3k and still beat pretty much every car on the road.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
You admitting you don't think you're ready for it is a good sign imo, I think if you take it slow you'll be alright. Yes, you could always sell it later, but with the value of the 250 plus the $1K cash you're probably looking at a wash as far as a sale is concerned. Not a bad deal, but I wouldn't say it's a drop everything good deal either.

If you think you're going to want to try out a 6 at some point in the near future, and the 636 is in good condition, I say go for it. If you're happy with the 250, I'd say keep it.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Okay so I have ridden my 09 ninja 250 for a few months and am still very much so a beginner even though I've learned so much. Recently I was offered a partial trade, my bike and 1000 cash for this guy's 05 zx6r with 13k miles. His wife wants the ninja. He won't budge from 1000. I'm only 17 and honestly probably shouldn't be on a zx6r, but am more interested in whether you all think it's a decent deal. What i might do if i feel it's too much power is sell it and get an sv650 or ninja 650 (my first bike).

http://images.craigslist.org/00Q0Q_4rfbacR84f3_600x450.jpg

Ride safe friend. For the most part, you are only as dangerous as your wrist makes you on your motorcycle. Don't want the power don't twist the wrist!

Have the bike looked at and verify that it doesn't have major internal issues first.

·
Registered
422 Posts
sounds like you may be relatively mature. i think the biggest hurdle might be the insurance costs. You should punch the bike info in and see what you would pay for insurance for this bike, it may answer the question for you.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
If you're smart enough to know it's too much bike you're probably responsible enough to learn how to ride it without killing yourself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts