Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i have a 2002 zx6r a1p and i have an idle problem and slight missfire at low revs?? Mid range revs and high revs are fine,
I have checked the spark plugs and they seem fine also i have cleaned the carbs and set the mixture screws to 2.5 turns also cant seem to find any vacuum leaks and compression is fine also i have checked the battery and the engine off and engine running voltages are fine...

Im stumped as it needs revs drop to 1000rpm and then bounce to 1400rpm sometimes and i have adjusted the idle when the engine is warm and its still unstable...

Any help appreciated...thanks guys

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just a couple of questions/suggestions. i'm not that familiar with the carburetor based engines.

1) When you say you cleaned the carburetors, did you do a full dis-assembly and port cleaning? Or did you just spray them out.
2) Is there a way to check the fuel level on the float tanks (no sure this is an appropriate question). This would affect when fuel enters through the main jets from idle.
3) Throttle synchronization? Has this been done recently?
4) When running at medium and high rpm, is there plenty of power? If the spark plugs look good, do you have any misfire under WOT at medium or high rpm?
5) Have you checked the fuel filter and fuel pump?

Just thinking out loud and trying to isolate fuel from spark issues here. Did this just happen recently or did you perform any recent repairs?

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
^
carbs actually clean?- there is far more to it than spraying some aerosol cleaner at them

carb sync?

state of tune of the bike?

etc etc etc...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi guys I did a complete teardown of the carbs and needles and used carb cleaner and compressed air to clean the jets and passages out,
I hav'nt felt or heard any missfires at WOT on medium and high rpm and it pulls great,
The carbs hav'nt been synced since the teardown to clean them,
The fuel filter and pump seem fine,
Also the bike is standard no mods except double bubble screen,

·
Registered
279 Posts
Again, I'm not the expert on carbs for these bikes but from what you have said so far, I would suspect an idle mixture issue (you said you set at default 2.5 turns) and/or carb synchronization.

My best guess at this point. From my experience with carbs, these settings can be a bitch. I can only assume that multiple carbs would be more like (bitch)^4.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts