Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I realized I've been riding with improper foot position the entire time I've been at it. I tend to stay in "commuter position" as I think of it for quick access to the clutch and brake.

Well, after realizing I should be on the balls of my feet I tried that out and wow, what a night and day difference in the twisties. It feels like I'm on an entirely different bike that just wants to lean over and hug the corners. So that part I'm really enjoying.

What I'm not enjoying is communicating to my brain where my feet need to return to after shifting or touching the brake. They always want to go back to the pad of the foot.

Where do you folks keep your feet for street/track riding etc?

·
Registered
879 Posts
track riding:

when on the straights i keep the balls of my feet on the pegs. a quick little flick forward with the left foot lets me upshift or downshift as needed.

approaching a turn: let's say it's a left hander, with my left foot i move the balls of my feet a little out so i'm almost under the pad below/behind my big toe. that lets me kick my heel up and really pull my inside leg out for the turn. my outside foot (right foot on a left hander) i slide foward so that my heel catches the peg. i got a suggestion to try that last track day and bam, it feels awesome. my outside foot has a much better/solid footing and really let's me lean off the bike.

exiting the turn: i bring both feet back into the starting position, balls of my feet.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ball of the foot on the leg, always. Even when commuting.
That's what I'm aiming for and have been practicing I just have to stay on it or my feet just naturally migrate back to where they want to be. Another week or two and I'll be fine, just need to do it long enough to be automatic.

·
Registered
879 Posts
if you are on the highway, cruising along, there is nothing wrong with riding on your heels. keep in mind though you end up looking like an idiot to anyone behind you that knows anything about proper foot position. i always chuckle a little bit when i see the duck foot posture of heel riding on a sport bike.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you are on the highway, cruising along, there is nothing wrong with riding on your heels. keep in mind though you end up looking like an idiot to anyone behind you that knows anything about proper foot position. i always chuckle a little bit when i see the duck foot posture of heel riding on a sport bike.
Yeah I'm not worried about what I do in traffic beyond just wanting proper position to be the default that my brain goes to. In bumper to bumper or heavy traffic I'll be duck-footing like a mofo

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
On the track I switch my foot position (along with my body position) in every corner. On a left hander I shift my weight to the left, I put the toe of my boot about the outer edge of the left peg, swing my leg out and my foot is pointed in the same direction as my thigh with my heel up next to the bike upper rearset heel guard area. My right foot is forward on the right peg (peg is mid foot) and I'm hanging onto the tank with the inside of my right thigh. Obviously it's just the opposite for a right hand corner.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Recently I realized I've been riding with improper foot position the entire time I've been at it. I tend to stay in "commuter position" as I think of it for quick access to the clutch and brake.

Well, after realizing I should be on the balls of my feet I tried that out and wow, what a night and day difference in the twisties. It feels like I'm on an entirely different bike that just wants to lean over and hug the corners. So that part I'm really enjoying.

What I'm not enjoying is communicating to my brain where my feet need to return to after shifting or touching the brake. They always want to go back to the pad of the foot.

Where do you folks keep your feet for street/track riding etc?
My feet are never in the same place. Outside foot is usually hooked wit the heel, inside foot on the ball.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Happened almost naturally to me when I switched over from work boots to motorcycle riding boots. Was shuffling my feet about on a long ride and the balls-on-peg position felt 'correct', and I was propped forward instead of sitting 'in' the bike.

I think I am gifted ;)

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Oh, and that is my everyday foot position now, along with working on body position and full tuck. I think doing it every single time you can makes it the bread and butter of your riding, and any other changes you may want to add can be piled on top of it.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Give it time... it'll come.

Like others have said, having the heel pulled back and 'hooked' is a good idea... naturally points your toes outwards and into the turn. Some of the more experienced guys can correct me if I'm wrong.

My heel has been eating away at my swingarm...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts