Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking for some new tyres for my zx6r 06 and the originals that came on the bike were 180/55 17 on the rear and 120/65 17 on the front, now i've been told that running a 120/70 17 on the front will make no difference, is this true???
has anyone had this problem aswell.
i don't want to buy these and then find that this will cause me problems later.
any help would be much appreciated.:confused

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
A 120/70 front is a more standard size and generally has a bit more pointy profile which should give better handling in general. You may need to reduce the front ride height (slide the forks up in the tripples) by about 5mm to avoid changing the chassis geometry. That said, I have no experence specific to the ZX.

have fun

·
Registered
617 Posts
I changed from the 65 to the 70 quite some time ago and have had no problems what so ever. But as bike pilot says, you should raise your forks through the triple clamps 5mm to compensate.:thumbup

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I've heard that going from 120/70 to 120/65 on a bike set up for 70 series is a bad move.

If you get it working how you like it with the 120/70 you'll have a lot more tyres to chose from like BP mentioned.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i went from 65 to 70 and noticed quite a difference at first. Bike kinda fell into corners at first until i got used to it BUT had loads more grip when leant over. Won't go back now.
Personal choice whether to raise forks thru yolks by 5mm or not really. I didn't at first but when i got round to it, loved it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
p.s. check when you put the taller tyre on that it doesn't foul the front mudguard.................(that's fender to you across the pond people)

·
Registered
13 Posts
i just put a 70 height tyre on my 2006 model bike - it fitted with no problem - still a reasonable space between the tyre and the mudguard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts