Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 08 and recently have been installing a two brothers full system. Everything has been going fine and has fit properly. Once i went to put on the header, I realized that the flanges won't go on because the spacer where the exhaust gasket sits is to big. Everything else seems to be right, I'm just curious as to if anyone else has ever had this problem with a two brothers header. I checked the instructions for the part number and it is labeled as the headers are 17301h but my header is labeled 17301k. Not sure if that makes a difference or not but to me that is a different part number than what the sheet says it should be. I guess I'm trying to ask if its just something I'm doing wrong, or if this is just the wrong part. It would be really helpful if someone with a full brothers system on an 08 could take a picture and post up here of what your header looks like at the flanges and what the nuts look like and if the studs are sticking out or if the nuts just barely fit. I'm getting like three threads of the stud to go into the nut before it gets tight. Which where i come from the stud should hand out the back of the nut even if its just a little bit. I could understand it being different from the oem setup and the stud not hanging out as much, but this is just ridiculous. If possible could one of you guys atleast check the part number on your header and let me know what it says it is. Mine is right by where the hose clamp for the header goes. For now i guess I will just put the oem headers back on for the time being just to get me back up and running until i figure out what I'm going to do. Thanks guys. :down:

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
I will start with prefacing.......... I have no idea if that is the correct part you have and don't have the ambition to search for you

But........

I always install exhaust systems starting at the head pipes and working backwards, leave stuff loose til it is all on, but start at the front- it does make it easier to get those all lined up and started

I have no idea if that is your problem, but...........

take it for what its worth

Reactions: PainfullySlo

·
Registered
59 Posts
The piece that connects the header pipes on the exhaust on my yoshimura system had a little play in it and I had to physically bend them apart by a few millimeters when I installed my 300s system. Otherwise my pipes didn't want to seat properly. That could be your problem? Pictures would help

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will start with prefacing.......... I have no idea if that is the correct part you have and don't have the ambition to search for you

But........

I always install exhaust systems starting at the head pipes and working backwards, leave stuff loose til it is all on, but start at the front- it does make it easier to get those all lined up and started

I have no idea if that is your problem, but...........

take it for what its worth
I just tried attaching the headers with nothing else attached and they still don't bolt up right to me. its not that they aren't lining up, it just seems like the nuts don't thread on enough to me.

The piece that connects the header pipes on the exhaust on my yoshimura system had a little play in it and I had to physically bend them apart by a few millimeters when I installed my 300s system. Otherwise my pipes didn't want to seat properly. That could be your problem? Pictures would help
And when i started installing them earlier today the one pipe was bent away from the engine a little and i had to force it into place in order to bolt it up,

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
I just tried attaching the headers with nothing else attached and they still don't bolt up right to me. its not that they aren't lining up, it just seems like the nuts don't thread on enough to me.

And when i started installing them earlier today the one pipe was bent away from the engine a little and i had to force it into place in order to bolt it up,
Without some good pictures I think there is little help we can offer--- you could google the part numbers though and see what you come up with

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is what I'm talking about. As you can see in the second and third picture the tbr header space and flange is over 1/4" bigger than the factory one. .305" bigger to be exact. Sorry for being kind of anal with the measurments and everything but i am a mechanic/ machinist/ welder for a career with a backround in design and engineering.

·
Registered
120 Posts
nothing comes out of the head, such that the spacer, or more of the pipe could be further recessed into it? I know theres a copper (?) gasket in there stock between the OEM pipes and the head. Is it mentioned in the instructions? Reuse or remove it etc?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it clearly states in the instruction manual (which is very unclear in most other cases during the install) to reuse oem gaskets and install with oem hardware. and no nothing comes out of the head other than the headers themselves.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
So, your saying that the black clamp part in your picture won't slide over the studs in the head? Or the studs are not long enough to protrude thru the clamps when they are installed? It can be tricky getting the header pipe and gasket fully seated into the head while trying to juggle that clamp.

In either case, your probably going to have to talk to the support staff at Two Brothers. They can help you sort out the part number question and let you know if you have the correct parts for you application.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
So that extra .300" is making it so the nuts don't thread onto the head studs?

Are you sure you have them all seated all the way?

Can you get them started?--I have never had that issue, but yes they can be tough to get all ligned up and inserted into the port flange to get the nuts started but once started and threaded on they pull it all in nicely and I haven't had any not thread fully on (all threads of the nut onto the stud)

I always use new gaskets too- reusing those already crushed ones can lead to leaks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have them seated all the way in. I double checked last night by putting only them on and tightening it down. I seated it in fully by hand and only like 1/8 of an inch of stud is sticking out. And the extra .3" is without the gasket included. That's just the difference between the stock and tbr. So once you put the gaskets in it makes it even worse.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
If you put them on with the gaskets and there is stud that protruding past the nuts then it's working fine. Tightening the nuts will pull everything into place.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
I have them seated all the way in. I double checked last night by putting only them on and tightening it down. I seated it in fully by hand and only like 1/8 of an inch of stud is sticking out. And the extra .3" is without the gasket included. That's just the difference between the stock and tbr. So once you put the gaskets in it makes it even worse.
Well in that case- I would pull the studs out, get stainless bolts and lock washers that are the correct length and install it with bolts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got off the phone with two bros customer service and they said that they had a few set of headers a while back that the machining company that made the spacers for the flanges to the wrong spec, so they are going to send me another set of them in a few weeks since they don't have any built in stock right now. They will also be sending me a 02 manifold bung and bung plug as well. So a+ for customer service in my book. I guess we will see how the exhaust itself holds up as for a quality rating.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts