Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so about a month ago I had a low side on my left end. it was very mild with minor road rash on the bike and my left side footrests and gear shift were broken. I replaced the rear set within a week and have yet to fix the cutting out of the engine while trying to get into 1st or 2nd gear. additionally the bike will not turnover or even attempt to start while in either 1st or 2nd gear. I have been dying to get this bike to get fixed but I really don't know where to even start! any help would be appreciated feel free to even give me a call I'm off all day today and tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I am NOT mechanically inclined, so keep that in mind when you read my thought.

Kickstand switch?

I know the kickstand has something to prevent you running the bike while it is down, potentially this got damaged when you lowsided? That'd fit the symptoms at least, not sure where exactly it's located though

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am NOT mechanically inclined, so keep that in mind when yousupposedly thought.

Kickstand switch?

I know the kickstand has something to prevent you running the bike while it is down, potentially this got damaged when you lowsided? That'd fit the symptoms at least, not sure where exactly it's located though
THANKS! I will look into it. I'm not mechanically inclined either but it's a start!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sounds like kickstand issue

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
There is a switch at the base of your kickstand, follow the wire going off that switch to the connector and disconnect the connector, then try and put it in 1st.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
You need to jumper the connector to test it. It will cut the engine off if the switch is open. That's how the circuit works.

If you unplug it, it should continue to act just as you are describing. You need to find the wire coming off the kick stand, follow it up to the first connector, unplug the switch at that connector. Then, take a short wire and connect the two sides of the connector, the part of the wire going up into the engine area. If the bike runs when you put it in gear, the kick stand safety switch is bad. You can leave it disconnected and jumpered or you can replace the switch.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Such an easy fix. Thanks to you all, it was the kickstand switch! Followed your directions step by step and took her around the block. The wife makes fun of me because it took months for a 5min fix. The local bike mechanics all said gear related and200-300 charge. Pppssshhh

Now I just have to find a non-intergrated tail light replacement for the oem one that went out...so...close...to...riding...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts