Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I crashed my 2009 ZX6R back in February :( and I am just now putting the bike back together :) (I will post a thread after it's all complete). At any rate, I have a quick question. I put the tail section back together and went to check if the lights worked. The brake did, but the turn signals did not. The indicator on the dash would come on (and just stay on) when I hit the left turn signal, and would not come on if I turned the right one on. That was before I connected the front signals. With the front hooked up, nothing works. The signals do not flash and the indicator on the dash does not come on. I checked the fuse and it's fine. I have an electronic flash relay, so I do not think this is what is causing issues. And lastly, my wire harness was not damaged, so I doubt that it's any serious wiring issues. Any idea on what I could try? Sorry for the long read :)

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Are any of the turn signal LED or aftermarket? If yes, put the stock ones back on and check again. If no, I'm not really sure. Is the electronic flash relay for LED's or what?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the rear ones are, but I don't have the stock ones anymore :( I used aftermarket rear signals for almost 2 years now without an issue. The electronic relay ($5 at Advanced Auto Parts) gets your flashing rate back to normal after you install LEDs (decreased load on the stock relay causes the turn signals to flash at an increased rate)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way, the headlights and the licence light are not connected, but I don't think that should have any bearing on the matter, right? It seems weird, especially when considering what happens when I turn left/right with the front ones disconnected.. sounds like a lack of connection somewhere....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just in case someone needs an answer in the future: it did turn out to be the flash relay. I ended up replacing it and the turn signals worked perfectly. I still have no clue as to why it got messed up...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Had an issue with mine that the blinkers would stay on and not blink with the stock, changed to a 2 prong LED flasher and all was well after that!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, that is because the stock flash relay is mechanical, meaning: it depends on the electrical load to straighten out a piece of metal inside of it. That piece of metal expands and contracts, making and undoing the connection. When you change the load on the relay by putting in LED flash lights, the load on the system is reduced, and can be too small for the piece of metal to expand enough to make a connection (or to contract enough to brake it). By installing the electronic flash relay, you take the moving part out of the equation, and no matter what the load, the relay will flash at the same rate.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Pretty funny because my blinkers flash at a normal rate and my buddies hyperflashes. Looks tacky lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
My front turn signals are still stock ones. I have the rear turn signals to LED. The bike only haves 1 Relay for the turnsignals. Do I have to replace this relay to a LED relay? Is this possible with the stock front turn signals?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts