Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I’ve been kicking around this idea the more I ride my ZX6R (new owner). I bought this bike with the intentions of it being converted to a track only bike. But the more I ride it and get used to it the more I am falling in love with it and the ZX6R platform. I bought this bike new and love the looks and just overall feel and performance. But overall for long trips more than an hour being a super sport I have to take breaks every like hour to hour and a half.

It got me thinking that if the clip one were raised to more of the height of Aprilia Tuono the bike might be just as comfortable but far cheaper maintenance. It would be sacrificing some performance track wise but I was curious how much would it affect it? As I have seen people do it.

Since my cousin offered to sell me his old ZX6R for cheap (not best condition though). For shits and giggles I’ve checked marketplace and realize I could find a higher mileage use one to fully dedicate to track use. While making my current one more comfortable for longer trips.

I have past experience racing cars legitimately but will admit bikes are a new and exciting chapter for me. Was hoping to get some opinions and possible experience with this idea.

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback positive or negative with this idea.

·
Registered
2007 Ninja ZX-6R
12 Posts
I too think the handlebar position is a bit too aggressive (on my '07). Adding grip puppies helped a bit. I'd thought about moving the clip-ons above the triple tree (after lowering the front enough to do that) but it looks to me like that will create an interference with the fairings so I'm not sure there is a good solution.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too think the handlebar position is a bit too aggressive (on my '07). Adding grip puppies helped a bit. I'd thought about moving the clip-ons above the triple tree (after lowering the front enough to do that) but it looks to me like that will create an interference with the fairings so I'm not sure there is a good solution.
Yea all and all if it ends up severely affecting function and performance then I wouldn’t do it. I know stunting guys do it all the time but that’s not what I’m going for with this bike. Also as cool as stunting is and as much as I enjoy watching it. Do not have the urge to do it.

Wondering if anyone has raised up the handle bars to sport touring level and has taken it to a track day. Really feel it wouldn’t make much of difference as some bikes like the Tuono are laid out like that. But then again every chassis is different so it could potentially not handle at all as I think it would.

Just would be cool because man I love this bike and I know a Ninja 1000 would handle fine and fill those boxes. But I just love the powerband of the ZX6R.

·
Registered
16,697 Posts
So far as I know, you really have three main choices for handlebar/clip on risers. Helibars, Woodcraft, and at least one more.

I worked with Mr. Wood to set up a kit that would work with the '09-'12, which brings the bars about 1.5" back 1.5" up, and makes the set up about 4" wider at the grips. Bar angle is 'flatter' and the 'sweep' is not as angled back. As it stands now, my clip ons are about level with the upper triple clamp, and are at a more comfortable angle. I don't think the set up would work with higher risers, without modifying the fairing and adding length to all of the control lines. Had to create a different bracket for my front brake MC so it wouldn't hit the windshield.

My aftermarket front brake lines had enough slack, that I didn't need to replace (I doubt that the OEM brake lines would have worked).... the OEM clutch cable is fine, and all of the wiring works just as it did.

I also added some 1" lower footpegs, from a company called Knight Designs out of Oregon, which are a drop in replacement for the OEM pegs. They use the same hardware (spring, pin, and circlip), so you could just as easily go right back to stock if you wanted. You just have to adjust the foot controls for the lower position your foot will be in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far as I know, you really have three main choices for handlebar/clip on risers. Helibars, Woodcraft, and at least one more.

I worked with Mr. Wood to set up a kit that would work with the '09-'12, which brings the bars about 1.5" back 1.5" up, and makes the set up about 4" wider at the grips. Bar angle is 'flatter' and the 'sweep' is not as angled back. As it stands now, my clip ons are about level with the upper triple clamp, and are at a more comfortable angle. I don't think the set up would work with higher risers, without modifying the fairing and adding length to all of the control lines. Had to create a different bracket for my front brake MC so it wouldn't hit the windshield.

My aftermarket front brake lines had enough slack, that I didn't need to replace (I doubt that the OEM brake lines would have worked).... the OEM clutch cable is fine, and all of the wiring works just as it did.

I also added some 1" lower footpegs, from a company called Knight Designs out of Oregon, which are a drop in replacement for the OEM pegs. They use the same hardware (spring, pin, and circlip), so you could just as easily go right back to stock if you wanted. You just have to adjust the foot controls for the lower position your foot will be in.
Wow thank you nice to know there is an option to drop the foot peg. Although I feel I don’t need to though someone else might. I looked into the Woodcraft risers and am kicking back and forth between them and the Impaktech adjustable risers. I know the Impaktech risers need braided lines at certain heights and are mainly used for adjustability and are used more on stunt bikes. However having the ability to adjust seems like a nice feature. Still looking more into this though. Third option I’ve seen is putting dirt bike bars with new triple and mounting kits, but would rather go the Woodcraft route than that for a fixed non adjustable option.

As of now biggest thing that I did that has helped has been installing tank grips (went with storm grip).
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

This by far really helped the most and I am firm believer is a must for any sport bike especially a super sport. Being able to grip the tank with less force to engage your core and lower back better with less force is by far I think the top upgrade you can do and is the cheapest and easiest. I feel it allows me to relax my body more and put less stress on my wrists allowing me to ride longer, corner better, and just overall have better control of the bike including straight line cruising and pulls.

That being said I think raising the handle bars just a little bit more and maybe even scooting them back will let me be able to go on longer rides. While still being able to get a full tuck to get weight down on that front end. I will definitely keep in mind and look into being able to lower the foot pegs. Even if I don’t feel it’s needed as my lower body doesn’t feel cramped like it did on my 2014 Ninja 650.

Thanks for the comment / info!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Apex Racing offers riser clip on sets in 1" and 3" versions. They are adjustable and could easily be lowered for track time and then raised for street use.

Mark

·
Registered
2017 ZX6R KRT, 2019 GTI
152 Posts
I just got a ZX6R as well, and it took a few weeks to get comfortable with the riding position. I am waiting on full set of OEM fairings (the dude before me put on carbon fiber fairings and sold the originals), so I havent installed tank grips yet. I have been considering risers as well, I would go with the Apex listed above as they seem to have the most value for the money.

I have also been considering these from aliexpress, I know it might be a bad idea to trust them but I have gotten some good stuff from Aliexpress so for a third the price maybe its decent.

Reactions: Ptel555

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got a ZX6R as well, and it took a few weeks to get comfortable with the riding position. I am waiting on full set of OEM fairings (the dude before me put on carbon fiber fairings and sold the originals), so I havent installed tank grips yet. I have been considering risers as well, I would go with the Apex listed above as they seem to have the most value for the money.

I have also been considering these from aliexpress, I know it might be a bad idea to trust them but I have gotten some good stuff from Aliexpress so for a third the price maybe its decent.

YeaThese Apex seem nice and the ones to go with. They look real clean as well and have great reviews.I think a combination of a Corbin like seat or new padding plus possible slightly repositioning the foot pegs might do the trick.

Only major issue I see with moving the foot pegs any which way may affect being able to grip the thank with the knees properly. So need to explore options but I think that would be the last one.

·
Registered
2017 ZX6R KRT, 2019 GTI
152 Posts
YeaThese Apex seem nice and the ones to go with. They look real clean as well and have great reviews.I think a combination of a Corbin like seat or new padding plus possible slightly repositioning the foot pegs might do the trick.

Only major issue I see with moving the foot pegs any which way may affect being able to grip the thank with the knees properly. So need to explore options but I think that would be the last one.
Being 6ft tall I havent had any issues with gripping the tank (also tank grips help), but I agree. If I were to move them anywhere else the leg ergos wouldnt be right and I wouldnt have a good purchase on the bike. I believe the best option is to leave the foot pegs alone, and to start with the Apex bars. If you need more then go with a different seat or lower the rear an inch (should be fine for street riding).

Reactions: Ptel555

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey everyone so quick update. Overall I feel I’ve been adjusting well to the bike and am starting to realize depending on your frame. Adjustments are really going to be based on the individual. I am leaning more towards actually going with adjustable foot pegs where I can lower and maybe even drop them back a little. Going to be doing my first track day in September or October hopefully🤞. From there I think I’ll be able to make some better calls in terms of what to be changed and what should stay. Hopefully there will be other ZX6R owners and or former owners.

That being said in the meantime. Has anyone used the Luimoto seat cover? After driving my buddies S1000RR I realized how stiff our seat was and that changing that may be a huge help. As the extra cushion on top of the stock cover could reduce pressure points and maybe even lift me up a couple mili meters.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Forget covers. Take a look at these guys:

I've had the Sport Solo and it's fantastic. I'm currently running the GP-V1 and it's great for the street and the track. Yes they are pricey but worth every freaking dollar (you are getting a custom-made seat with new gel and foam). A huge step up over the stock seat - and this means you can keep that without altering it for when you sell the bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Actually this sound
Forget covers. Take a look at these guys:

I've had the Sport Solo and it's fantastic. I'm currently running the GP-V1 and it's great for the street and the track. Yes they are pricey but worth every freaking dollar (you are getting a custom-made seat with new gel and foam). A huge step up over the stock seat - and this means you can keep that without altering it for when you sell the bike.
Nice thank you! Would 100 percent rather buy a new seat with foam. I went to the link and they didn’t seem to have an option for the 2019-2022 ZX6R. Did you call to have them custom make it and or do the seats from older generations fit fine?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So update after riding more and more often and riding other bikes. I have changed tune and decided that it wouldn’t be cost affective to make the ZX6 a sport tourer and will be going the even more committed route if the ergos are too change. Will be trying to make the seat a little more comfortable. Thank you everyone for the feedback. Should this thread be deleted though?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Just saw this thread, your original thought was similar to mine a few years ago. I still love the way my ZX6R rode but the position wasn't good for long trips. I did 600 miles in one day on mine and it was stock. I didn't ride at all the next day LOL. Went to a BMW for sport touring and then a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT. When I get to the mountains I wish I had a ZX6R but getting there with softer suspension, cruse control and a better windscreen is nice. Last trip was 6,500 miles. For me it's not just maintenance costs but also need a reliable bike. Lots of places out there are fun to go and visit but if the bike breaks down where can it get fixed? What about parts availability? Spent 6 days in Nebraska with the BMW and a failed rear wheel bearing - bought a swingarm off eBay and swapped it out as the quickest and cheapest fix! I could have had someone work on a ZX6R or my Yamaha but the BMW LOL. Loved the comment from the owner of the KOA I was staying at - this is Ford and Chevy country! He was super nice and let me use the apron of his shop to swap the swingarm and even loaded me some tools.

I would leave the thread up as some good thoughts and info for others with the idea.

·
Registered
2017 ZX6R KRT, 2019 GTI
152 Posts
I've been running these clip ons for the past month or two and they have been fantastic. Well worth the money, solid, and extremely comfortable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So updating as I did about 3.5k miles on the ZX6 this summer. The biggest thing I’ve realized is learn to adjust your body while riding. Relax your body, switch between pinching the tank with your knees to give your wrists a break, along with loosen up to prevent hip pain on straights. Big one try to keep moving wether it’s sticking to twisties or lightly weaving the bike side to side on the highway (obviously when you are clear and in safe conditions).

That being said I feel making it a Tuono is just not natural for the bike. However adjustable clip ons can get it to feel like an RS660.

Eventually going to give the Woodcraft adjustable clip ons a try and go for there. That being said love this bike even though these things are pretty much dedicated track bikes with headlights. Can’t beat the amount of performance you get for the money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well since it’s getting too cold to ride up in New England. I went ahead and ordered the Woodcraft Adjustable Clip Ons. Arrived pretty much next day via standard shipping through woodcraft directly. Mocks up well however fairly certain I’ll need to get 2” extended front brake lines. These give a 35mm rise and the website states 2009-2020 will need 2” extended lines. Assuming they didn’t update the website to include 2021-2022 model years. Regardless here is some photos of it mocked up while I source some brake lines.
Fuel tank Automotive tire Tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle

·
Registered
16,697 Posts
My bike with Woodcraft adjustable side mount bars, and 1” lowered pegs. The bars are at the level of the upper triple, and at least 1.5 inches’back’ from OEM.

The individual bars are 12” rather than 11”, and the risers required a 10mm offset block to get them to clear the upper triple. The position of the grips is one the order of 1.5” wider per side, and the only way I could adjust the bars to not interfere with the tank while providing full lock to lock steering has considerably less sweep than OEM and a flatter overall profile. I also added bar end sliders with replaceable pucks to take advantage of the extra standoff from the bodywork.

Because I already had individual braided lines to my front calipers on my non abs bike, the lines are long enough that I did not have to replace.

As you build up your clamps,risers, spacers….. use thread lock. I waited for a while, so I could tweak the setup and have lost at least one Allen bolt altogether. The rest have required multiple retightening. Until I added the thread lock.
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Plant

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for the reply as I just ordered stainless steel braided lines for the front and rear. Non-abs as well so will make this a lot easier. That being said did you drill out holes in the bars to for the notch in the electronic controls? Once the lines come in can eventually hook everything up bleed the system and start making adjustments. Wish I didn’t locktite the bolts so soon. But shouldn’t be too much of an issue loosening to adjust them as I didn’t go full send on tightening them down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts