Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys how are you? I'm new here.

I have my baby girl 6R 2020, and I was wondering if it's possible to hit 150-160 horsepower with tuning with her? if possible what are the requirements?

·
Registered
2021 Tuono V4 Factory
119 Posts
I don't think you're gonna squeeze 150-160hp out of a zx6r motor... probably should've gone for a liter bike if thats your goal.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
not with tuning alone (unless you simply want to throw some nitrous at it and have a stash of replacement engine to keep throwing in there)

and even with real race engine work you will likely be in the 140's with reasonable reliability, but you will spend more on this work than the bike cost brand new!

Reactions: sbk1198

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhhh thats a boomer, oh well... I'll try to maximize her power then

thanks fellas

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
As competitive as performance is in Super Sports, each mfg pushes their products as far as they are comfortable doing, maintaining a targeted level of reliability.

Factory stock race bikes are built from cherry picked parts off the assembly line. The old school term was blueprinting….. every part dead center on spec, all bores and races perfectly centered and aligned, all reciprocating parts exactly alike in mass, plus who knows how many more precision elements.

from there, porting and polishing, perfecting timing of cams, ignition, air and fuel ratios, adjustments in windage, then on to lighter lower mass parts, trick bearings, higher compression….

so much of this stuff has become tiny gains, due to improvements in manufacturing process controls.

a much higher percentage of nominal parts end up in every engine because the tolerances start out tighter.

Lloyd will have a much better firsthand experience with this than me; it’s obvious within what I have experienced that mass production 600cc I 4 motorcycle engine performance has increased something like 140% between the 1980s and now, and they’re more reliable as well.

I’ll say that there’s probably not a lot more ‘cheap’ performance gains available, due to these things being near state of the art.

improve airflow through the motor, optimize the air/fuel ratio, then put the bike on a diet.

Choppers came about for that very reason. For any given amount of horsepower, the lighter the vehicle, the stronger the acceleration.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I echo the above - why the need? I'm seriously contemplating selling my ZX6R shock horror because I realise I don't use half of it's potential on the TRACK. On the street, forget it. If you think you need 150-160hp on a street bike you're stupid.

Reactions: Newyork

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You bought the wrong bike. Get a liter bike, and we might see you in the afterlife.

Reactions: Newyork

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Seriously, I'd love to know what you need the power for? Is it bragging rights? Or are you trying to keep up with some other dimwit on the street? Or could it be you're actually under Rossi's tuition?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seriously, I'd love to know what you need the power for? Is it bragging rights? Or are you trying to keep up with some other dimwit on the street? Or could it be you're actually under Rossi's tuition?
If you are genuinely curious, I need more power on my 6r because in our streets, most of 1000s cant go full throttle for how slippery the asphalt is, but when we go outside the city where good roads and curves are, I race with 1000s. Yes I do win a lot of the times due to the bike's weight but in the straight line I'm like sooo much slower than them which is logical but I want to try to at least not be as far behind as I am you know what I mean? I know I cant keep up but at least be in the lead of whatever under 1000cc.

Call it whatever you want I came here for advice so thank you all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not really a target or a goal, just a desire.
How much do you think you can get from full system, best airfilter and good tuning on pcV ?
120-125 tops with a flash.
Horsepower is just a single variable in the equation of going fast. Have you considered gearing changes or weight reduction?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
How about improving the rider instead? Like visit the track and go to a racing school. Once you do that you'll realise that HP means nothing (as you'll likely be put in your place by guys & gals on much smaller bikes who know the craft).

·
Registered
8 Posts
How about improving the rider instead? Like visit the track and go to a racing school. Once you do that you'll realise that HP means nothing (as you'll likely be put in your place by guys & gals on much smaller bikes who know the craft).
This is what most people ignore over and over. I have a 200 horsepower weapon that is nothing more than a "wow" bike. I bought a new 636 to track and refine my riding skills.

·
Director of Moderation
7,639 Posts
Not really a target or a goal, just a desire.
How much do you think you can get from full system, best airfilter and good tuning on pcV ?
Somewhere in 120 hp range. If you spend about $10k or more on a full engine build you can get around 140 hp. You'll never beat a 1000cc bike in a straight line unless it's a 20-year old bike that's stock. Modern 1000cc bikes are all over 185hp at the wheel and it doesn't take much to get them to 200 hp.

Sounds like some real hooligan shit going on there though. If you want to actually race, go to a race track.

·
Registered
Rossi Leg Dangler
253 Posts
I have so-and-so hp guys who rip straight lines and think they’re fast. = Lolz. I agree with what was said above. Full race build 10-15k you are gonna be in the 140+ range. Don’t get me wrong I love liter bikes too but when they are actually put through their paces skillfully.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Too many people don’t have respect for these things until they are in pieces on the side of the road….slow down turbo.

The key to being fast is learning How to control the bike at high/low speeds everywhere which only comes with seat time experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with everyone about not being able to use the power that you already have. Chasing a number is senseless. Track days: yes, yes, yes.

That said, one option for more acceleration (if not top speed) is to go for modest power increases coupled with weight loss. (You, too!)

For example, looking at Graves Motorsports page on their full titanium Works exhaust system, + an ECU flash, their dyno shows an increase of rear wheel HP from about 114 to 128, with a weight savings (compared to the stock exhaust) of almost 18 POUNDS.

Those titanium exhausts aren't cheap, but OTOH you don't have to get inside your motor or risk killing it with nitrous.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts