Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone i recently bought a 99 zx6r (g) for a cheap price that was involved in an accident. It bent the front forks bent the radiator and broke the clutch foot peg i removed the damage plastics, gas tank, and seats then went front to back inspecting the wiring. Out of all of it i found two shorted wires and a blown ignition fuse, everything else looked great. I actually rode the bike before it was wrecked but now i put the key in and all i get is the neutral light and oil pressure light and a pulsing noise from the fuel pump i can blow the horn and turn the blinkers on which shows on the cluster. I am leaning towards a bad battery because i check it and it was dry and toasted but if i can do all of above with the bad battery it should make the starter at least click right??? PLEASE HELP I WANT TO RIDE

PS: bypassed the clutch switch with jumper wire and the kickstand switch for diagnosis

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Welcome! I would start with fresh battery to see if it start up and run report back and let us no how it goes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, i charged the battery to make sure plus i included a second car battery with booster cables, got the same story i put my test light on the input side of that relay thats connected to the positive cable. I have power there but nothing is coming out on the output side even when i hit the button the 30 fuse in the relay is good

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, i charged the battery to make sure plus i included a second car battery with booster cables, got the same story i put my test light on the input side of that relay thats connected to the positive cable. I have power there but nothing is coming out on the output side even when i hit the button the 30 fuse in the relay is good
If you have power on one side of the relay, your not pulling it in.
So the circuit that energizes the relay is not passing power and or the ground is missing.

You need to find someone who can help you dig into the problem.
It can be tough to figure out while looking at it, from across the country it's next to impossible with out more information.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So basically i need to inspect the wires and connector that goes into that relay....Do you know where i canget a wiring diagram

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea you are right alex i use the web anyway but i tested the 3 wires to the connector one was hot and two was ground, the fuse was good. The one thing that did not check out was the output side of the relay thats going to the starter. So does that mean that its a bad relay???

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Most relay's have 4 wires.
1 Hot from battery. (supply)
2 Ground.
3 Out. To device (load.
4 Trigger. (this case starter button.)

If you have 12v and ground then you just need trigger.
One wire from relay has to go to starter.

Do you get a change on a wire when you push the starter button. (Not sure if the Kawi) uses a hot or ground for trigger. Sounding like it's a hot from the switch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will check again tommorrow to see if i got a change in one of the wires while i hit the button...
My relay has five wires:
1 end cable from the battery
1 end cable that goes to the starter
3 wires in the connector one of them is hot and the other two are ground i will update yu tommorrow when i get a wiring diagram as well

By the way a picture of it is in #5 post above

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had the problem of my bike which it's a g1 doing a engine cut when accelerating I couldn't find a tip over sensor and the manual don't seem to show one, my problem ended up being a dirty side stand sensor.

I'm only thinking it could be the kill switch as the lights are still working, but it could be other things.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, i have jumped the starter and it turns over fine plus sounds pretty smooth. I will test the kill switch and let yu know how it turns out.(P0u1). And where exactly is that tip over sensor because i believe i previously bypassed it already.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh i just removed my kill switch and tested it. Both the run switch and the start button are in working condition now i guess i need to see if the switch itself is getting the power to transfer???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts