Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Was wanting to get a idea of peoples experiences here.

I have a work laptop and was wanting to commute to work on dress down days.

I have a single strap laptop bag and was toying with using it to come to work.

Mainly a freeway ride wouldn't take longer than 20 mins.

SO my question is has anyone tried a ride with a single strap bag?

If so how was it.

Or perhaps I should just by a two strap rucksack?

Let me know your thoughts.

Rossco

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I've used almost every type of bag/backpack you can possibly imagine to go to and from various places (including work with a laptop, ipad, and other crap) and I've never had any issues with any of them :O I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but the one thing I haven't used (and won't) is something like this:

This just seems too insecure to me, I've had to run (to catch a bus or train) before with one of these and they always flop around and turn to end up in an odd location on my body...not something I want to deal with while riding.

A lot of this kind of thing comes down to personal preference tho...if it ends up bothering you while you ride, you don't want to ride with it - what you don't need is a self-supplied distraction while riding. You obviously also don't want something that's going to get in the way of the controls at all or possibly make your arm movements difficult :O

If you're concerned about it, try going for a shorter ride from home with it first and see how it is. You can then evaluate and decide whether you want to try a different bag or if the one you currently use is ok.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I have the same issue. I toss it in my backpack. Just don't crash and be careful of rain.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I tried one strap for awhile, found myself subconsciously adjusting it at every stop and even while riding. It isn't the most aerodynamic option either. I'm going to move up to a Kriega or an OGIO.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Dude, a single strap bag doesn't seem like a good idea to me...
I would use a back pack instead... Or even better, a tank bag or a bag on the passenger seat, so you won't have the laptop attached to you if something happens...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dude, a single strap bag doesn't seem like a good idea to me...
I would use a back pack instead... Or even better, a tank bag or a bag on the passenger seat, so you won't have the laptop attached to you if something happens...
I would caution against using a tank bag or tail bag to transport a laptop. Although i have no personal experience, I have read several threads in which people have stated that there laptop was ruined from transporting it in such a manner due to the constant vibration from sitting on the tank or tail.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I love my Tech Aero back pack, it's really weather resistant with ti's waterproof zippers and comfy for days i'm walking around events and don't want to carry my helmet everywhere, i can put it in the helmet bungee. I fit my 17" lappy just fine.

I've been caught in some REALLY bad rain with no bridge or place to pull into for miles at a time and the very last thing on my mind has always been "i hope my laptop doesn't get wet". Alpinestars Tech Aero Backpack - RevZilla

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I have the ogio no drag 5 haven't had a lap top in it but ive have some heavy stuff in in for a 30 mile Plus trip on my way home from work and it was great no fatigue and no re adjusting best bag ive used so far

·
Super Moderator
12,479 Posts
I commute daily with a work laptop. I use some Swiss gear bag, and have never had any problems. I am not sure of the safety of this as I've read about broken ribs due to odd shapes objects in a backpack.
Ey3

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love my Tech Aero back pack, it's really weather resistant with ti's waterproof zippers and comfy for days i'm walking around events and don't want to carry my helmet everywhere, i can put it in the helmet bungee. I fit my 17" lappy just fine.

I've been caught in some REALLY bad rain with no bridge or place to pull into for miles at a time and the very last thing on my mind has always been "i hope my laptop doesn't get wet". Alpinestars Tech Aero Backpack - RevZilla

yeah this looks good!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've used all manner of bags to commute with a work laptop, and the only way to go is a dual-strap standard laptop backpack. A single strap, of any kind, will most-likely cause you issues at some point.

I've tried the messenger style, but it would occasionally just swing around to the side, which drove me nuts. I've tried the backpack messenger style (where it's a normal-looking backpack, but with only one strap that crosses from right to left), and it worked generally alright except it had the chance of swinging, as well.

Get a good backpack, and you'll be happy you did.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah ive managed to get my work into buying me a proper laoptop rucksack.

So that will help and now summers here i can be more productive at work! as wont be stuck in traffic lol

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would caution against using a tank bag or tail bag to transport a laptop. Although i have no personal experience, I have read several threads in which people have stated that there laptop was ruined from transporting it in such a manner due to the constant vibration from sitting on the tank or tail.
Well that's a great point! I was thinking more on his safety than the laptop's lol
Thanks for pointing that out though! :bigthumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts