Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2005 ZX6R 636 and I know that it hasn't been taken care of very well. When I ride the bike I start moving in 1st gear and sometimes it takes a couple tries to get it into 2nd gear but usually when I'm riding in 2nd gear it drops down into neutral from vibrations and bumps. The gear shift lever is loose and bent so I need to replace it but would that be the only problem or is there more likely something wrong internally? None of the other gears slip while riding.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
Is it loose on the shift shaft or at the peg bracket mount?

But good odds you have internal issues with worn engagement gears and bent or worn shift fork(s)

Reactions: KevA

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
The 2005/2006 models had weak parts in the transmission. They shift forks and engagement dogs on the gears would wear out, causing the transmission to jump out of gear on acceleration. Hopefully, thats not the case with yours. But it very well could be.
Heres my thread with a few pictures: Are my Shift Forks screwed??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it loose on the shift shaft or at the peg bracket mount?

But good odds you have internal issues with worn engagement gears and bent or worn shift fork(s)
It's just parts on the peg mount and links that are loose, I just wasn't sure if the vibrating parts are enough to knock it back into neutral.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2005/2006 models had weak parts in the transmission. They shift forks and engagement dogs on the gears would wear out, causing the transmission to jump out of gear on acceleration. Hopefully, thats not the case with yours. But it very well could be.
Heres my thread with a few pictures: Are my Shift Forks screwed??
I'll have to look into it. Sometimes it will drop into neutral with no acceleration just with coasting a little bit but I'll have to look more. Was it pretty simple to get into the transmission?

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
It's just parts on the peg mount and links that are loose, I just wasn't sure if the vibrating parts are enough to knock it back into neutral.
Nope, that'll be internal pull transmission.....ie remove engine and split cases! major surgery and a dozen hours for an experienced tech, so weeks for inexperienced first timers with tons of openings for catastrophic mistakes and costly failures..........
Just look at some of the threads on this very forum, lots of examples of the inexperienced (too fucking cheap and or too fucking stubborn or pretenders who think they will figure shit out) people fucking up the same shit multiple times or wrecking other shit on their way into something or out of it....

Do you want to waste all year chasing problems or do you want to be out riding a good bike?

That is what a good tech and some money gets you, fixed right and you can just go riding..........

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
I'll have to look into it. Sometimes it will drop into neutral with no acceleration just with coasting a little bit but I'll have to look more. Was it pretty simple to get into the transmission?
As Rivers said, no. U gotta remove the engine and split the lower half apart to get the internals of the transmission out.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The gear shift lever is loose and bent so I need to replace it but would that be the only problem or is there more likely something wrong internally?
I would sort the shift lever first to be sure you are getting proper engagement when you do shift, but the fact that it only does it in 2nd indicates that there is likely some mechanical damage/wear in the transmission.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts