Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is mostly aimed towards Riverz but, I have had a 2nd gear problem for years and I want to know why. No false neutrals, brand new shift drum and forks installed last week, seemingly correctly installed transmission - but my bike seems to disengage and reengage 2nd gear pretty abruptly at anything more than 1/4 throttle. Is there a specific technique to "shim" the transmission, if the engine is out and the case is split? I thought I had followed the operators manual to a T but here we are again. I'd really like this to be the last time I need to disassemble the engine this far again. (and yes Riverz, I will definitely be checking valve clearances while the engine is out again, it was unwise to try and put it off).

P.S - I've isolated the problem to the output shaft, reason being that in 2nd gear, the input shaft dogs are not engaged at all, leaving only the output shaft dogs to be suspect. If it isn't shimming, then PERHAPS a gear could have been placed wrong face in and thus the dogs barely engage but I doubt that due to having had a different transmission in my bike briefly that did not exhibit this issue (and then that trans failed me too).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts