Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how hard it is to pull a 96 zx6r F tranny? If I find that my front sprocket is fine, my 2nd output gear may have gone bad and I found one online. It's not huge issue right now, but I would like it to be smoother. Clutch is not the issue, the slippage was fixed after a new cable install.

·
Super Moderator
12,499 Posts
I would use the same process I use when doing any tear down.
require:
tools assorted
camera
metric fuckton of baggies
at least two sharpies
tape

everything that comes off take a pic pointing to each bolt removed and put it in a labled bag. label that bag AND tape it to the part.

If you get frustrated relax, smoke a ... cigarette... or something, post the pics of where you got to and what the issue is... At some point some bright star of the internet will tell you what you did wrong.

ey3

Reference service manual as required... TORQUE SPECS!!!!

Reactions: X636X and Brandon35

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I always keep everything orderly, and I now have a nice torque wrench so that's not an issue. I'm just wondering if I have to pull the motor or not, cuz that would suck

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Any transmission work on a motorcycle is a major undertaking. Unless is has a cassette style transmission (yours doesn't) you will need to remove the engine and split the crankcase. Study the service manual very closely. It is very easy to reassemble them incorrectly. Test it as much as you can on the bench before putting it back in the bike. Its a lot of work to get it back in and find out it doesn't shift correctly.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I may just leave it for now then... maybe I'll get lucky and it's the front sprocket. I wont tear it down till I have enough money and time lol.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I would use the same process I use when doing any tear down.
require:
tools assorted
camera
metric fuckton of baggies
at least two sharpies
tape

everything that comes off take a pic pointing to each bolt removed and put it in a labled bag. label that bag AND tape it to the part.

If you get frustrated relax, smoke a ... cigarette... or something, post the pics of where you got to and what the issue is... At some point some bright star of the internet will tell you what you did wrong.

ey3

Reference service manual as required... TORQUE SPECS!!!!
I do the metric fuckton of baggies/sharpies too...:laugh Only way to fly. I usually use those or little snap tubs.

·
Super Moderator
12,499 Posts
I do the metric fuckton of baggies/sharpies too...:laugh Only way to fly. I usually use those or little snap tubs.
I am pretty sure that you posted that method and I stole it from you...
ey3

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I am pretty sure that you posted that method and I stole it from you...
ey3
Maybe. I use baggies and sharpies and blue tape for everything. It may take a little extra time, but it takes less than looking for whatever the fuck bolt it is you piled with a bunch of others, and then trying to decide which hole it goes in. My clutch cover bolts I have labeled numerically starting at 12:00 so I can just look at the head and count the holes until I find the right one.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
that's been going on for many decades, stole it from us old farts!
:butbut:
Im not all that young, but I learned it from my dad who is a qualified old guy....:laugh:

Reactions: Rickthefix

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not afraid to do that, but I just need the time to do it I guess. I have enough time during summer maybe before I leave, otherwise I'll wait till I have more time lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts