Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am racing novice class with OMRRA first time this year and was wondering what kind of books could provide me useful information to jump start my racing experience. I have read the Twist of the Wrist 2 and Smooth Riding the Pridmore Way and found them very useful. Both these books have great information that set a very good base for riding/ track. I am looking for something specific for track riding /racing. I see a bunch of options available in amazon but thought I would ask folks who have already been in my situation and what they found useful.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this guy^^ writes short novels all the time that are free and very beneficial. Search his started threads :D
-Cody
That's where I got the idea of racing. Found those short articles very useful and figured there should be a book already with a collection of those kinds of articles.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Simon Crafers Moto vudu series are really good.
But yeah track time, leeching info off the fast guys (that you trust) and/or a good coach are better then anything.
I've been told by a few of the fast guys that my lines are good but will leave me wide open for over takes in some spots when racing. Been lucky enough to have them ride in front of me to show me some tighter entry lines in a few of the corners I was leaving the door open on.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you already read TOTW, TOTWII and soft science, read motovudu. Crafar contradicts Code quite a bit...just shows there is not one single best way to ride a bike fast. Point is reading gives you ideas of things to try and makes you think about what you are actually doing and why it does or doesn't work. Find out what works for you, but also try to understand why it works for you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Books are great but will only get you so far. I honestly found forums like this and others to be hugely helpful during my earlier years.
I passed New Racer School and did 3 races over the weekend with OMRRA. I read your article about starts from the Grid and practiced a few times during practice sessions. It worked like a charm during the race starts. i would gain 3 - 4 places from the Grid every start. Thanks PainfullySlo Keep those articles coming :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I passed New Racer School and did 3 races over the weekend with OMRRA. I read your article about starts from the Grid and practiced a few times during practice sessions. It worked like a charm during the race starts. i would gain 3 - 4 places from the Grid every start. Thanks PainfullySlo Keep those articles coming :bigthumb:
Nice! I am glad that you got something out of my writings but really, the credit belongs to you and you alone. I can babble all you like but at the end of the day, you are the one working the controls.

Congrats!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some good reading....

Ken is a good man and instructs at the track with Tony's track days

Another good read

Start bumping it up at the track and get the video.

Finally go to track school! Have fun!

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Agreed on the 'Riding in the Zone' book by Ken Condon. He is also now writing for Motorcyclist magazine. The guy knows his stuff and is an all around good guy to boot. I just saw him this past weekend :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts