Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello world,

I made it my goal to do a track day at some point this year and have been getting ready. I have a few questions and would love some input from any of you junkies ut there.

@searchnazis: probably not well enough, but I appreciate the links.

First: I keep looking at 250s on Craigslist thinking that may be better to take to the track. Ie 04 Kawasaki ninja 250cc maybe dump another 500 in it to get it up to spec and not have to risk my daily. Or would you guys recommend spending that money elsewhere? Ie tires or warmers etc?

I already have a truck, stands, running bike, safty gear, enough tools to do basic stuff, what else am I missing.

Also anyone in the clt area want to go to a track day together, I would love to go with someone who knows what they are doing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Ey3

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
You're going to get hooked on the track, approximately 7 feet, on your first lap.

So - options...

You could buy a 250/300 and get it up to "track par". It's more agile in the turns but much slower accelerating. It will help force you to develop good track habits. :yes

You could save all of that money and put it into your current bike. This would get you track fairings, another gas tank, sliders (tank/frame/axle/etc), tires, rearsets, grips, etc etc. pl;us some backup parts for when you crash :D:

Either way, you'll be required to have a suit, gauntlets and boots for the track so factor that into your budget as well if you don't have them already. In addition to that, you'll go through tires, oil, coolant, maintenance items much much faster.

I'm over in Raleigh and there's a number of us locals here who track. VIR and NCBike are ~1.5 hours away from here. You're welcome to stay at my house the night before a track day and ride with us. And unless the person is a coach, I'd be weary of their advice on track riding. You will get personal feedback at your track day from coaches who watch you in real time. I would HATE to give you bad info, even about the basics.

·
Super Moderator
12,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're going to get hooked on the track, approximately 7 feet, on your first lap.

So - options...

You could buy a 250/300 and get it up to "track par". It's more agile in the turns but much slower accelerating. It will help force you to develop good track habits.

You could save all of that money and put it into your current bike. This would get you track fairings, another gas tank, sliders (tank/frame/axle/etc), tires, rearsets, grips, etc etc.

Either way, you'll be required to have a suit, gauntlets and boots for the track so factor that into your budget as well if you don't have them already. In addition to that, you'll go through tires, oil, coolant, maintenance items much much faster.

I'm over in Raleigh and there's a number of us locals here who track. VIR and NCBike are ~1.5 hours away from here. You're welcome to stay at my house the night before a track day and ride with us. And unless the person is a coach, I'd be weary of their advice on track riding. You will get personal feedback at your track day from coaches who watch you in real time. I would HATE to give you bad info, even about the basics.
Sweet advice and thank you.
I already have the following safty gear, and don't leave the garage without it:
Cortech adrenaline one piece
Knox handroid gloves
Knox aegis back protector
A* supertech r boots
Scorpion exo1000 helmet

I currently have continental tires on, they have not been bad for commuting, but I am probably not pushing hard enough to tell a difference. I was thinking for the track I would want some stickier tires, which is why I was thinking dedicated trackbike. I was thinking 250/300 because it is more fun to drive a slow thing fast than a fast thing slow... Also would be cheaper on the tires.

Do you guys have a day planed? I would be very interested in joining.

Ey3

Reactions: 5hift

·
Registered
423 Posts
im in the rdu area I've went with sandman a couple times, its def a blast and very addicting. I take my daily and personally just dump the money into that but i see where you are coming from

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Sweet advice and thank you.
I already have the following safty gear, and don't leave the garage without it:
Cortech adrenaline one piece
Knox handroid gloves
Knox aegis back protector
A* supertech r boots
Scorpion exo1000 helmet

I currently have continental tires on, they have not been bad for commuting, but I am probably not pushing hard enough to tell a difference. I was thinking for the track I would want some stickier tires, which is why I was thinking dedicated trackbike. I was thinking 250/300 because it is more fun to drive a slow thing fast than a fast thing slow... Also would be cheaper on the tires.

Do you guys have a day planed? I would be very interested in joining.

Ey3

Next track day we are looking at is May 3 or 4 @ NCBike with TPM. I'll have a trailer and Omar (showat) and I will have our bikes loaded on that.

Always depends on weather. My rule for riding is no rain and > 60 degrees.

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next track day we are looking at is May 3 or 4 @ NCBike with TPM. I'll have a trailer and Omar (showat) and I will have our bikes loaded on that.

Always depends on weather. My rule for riding is no rain and > 60 degrees.
Sweet thank you. I will pm if I can line that up.
Ey3

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I would use your bike for the first day, just to see if you want to continue with it. If it has good tires, good brakes, and no leaks you should be OK.

The way I did it:
1. Read the books (Twist of the Wrist 2, etc)
2. Take the class (California Superbike School or similar)
3. Do the trackday

Rinse, Repeat

Remember, it's not about speed, it's about control.

I've been to NCbike with Sandman and showat a couple of times before, and it's nice having some good people around for mutual support. I know they have high regard for me:loser:

I'm planning on going up to NJMP in May, but maybe if the weather is ok, we could try to make it to NCbike May 3.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I've been to NCbike with Sandman and showat a couple of times before, and it's nice having some good people around for mutual support. I know they have high regard for me:loser:

'Tis true. After my crash in March, I cried on Jerry's shoulder.

THRICE!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'd say use your bike instead of buying a 250-300. After you get the line down you'll be looking for a lot more power down the straight and through the quicker coners. NCbike is fun track. I was there with sandman and the other guys I just didn't know it was them till after the weekend was over lol.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Just get out there and have fun. Check it out and see what you think. The new rider class is super mellow. Use your bike. Get decent tires i.e. Q.3's and decent gear. Its not too hard. Dont make a big deal out of it. Just have fun and dont crash. Im in Cali so thats that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts