Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with using one of these? TPMS system that just screws into the valve stem? I assume you would want to balance your wheels after you install them...
I have had some... Close calls... With tires lately... I check the pressure regularly.

Anyone with any credible advice on the matter? Thanks...

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/STEELMATE-Motorcycle-Pressure-Monitor-System/dp/B08B7YP4FX/ref=pd_lpo_263_img_1/144-4219272-8640439?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B08B7YP4FX&pd_rd_r=0dc7e62a-10d4-4457-863f-95f1d4ebc21f&pd_rd_w=zyhxF&pd_rd_wg=9eFjc&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=PA3W7C9Q46QB3F0M316Y&psc=1&refRID=PA3W7C9Q46QB3F0M316Y

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
I have customers come in routinely with these shitty aftermarket set ups. They are routinely hit or miss at best for any kind of accuracey or even displaying

Some others have the ones that completely replace the valve stems with a new one with the TPMS inside the wheel and activated via gyroscopic effect of bike moving and pretty much the same story with those, some work okay while others (same brand even) refuse to work more than intermittently

OEM ones seem to work fine sans the short battery life (typical is 5-7 years at best for "normal" mileage guys....... but a few of my customers ride 30k+ a year and eat batteries every 12-16 months.) and sadly many now are not replaceable by "easy" means.......ie- they are buried under epoxy where you spend hours grinding and digging out the sensor and battery to then hope you didn't ruin anyhting and then unsolder the old battery, solder in a new battery and then try and reassemble the mess and re-install and then hope and pray it works.............or you go get shafted and spend $180+ per wheel to replace the TPMS and a programming fee to a dealer/service center ot be good for possibly another few years before you have to do it again

post about 2012 epoxied in units........

pre early/mid 2012 screw covered units with accesible batteries....

Attachments

Reactions: darkgoblin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have customers come in routinely with these shitty aftermarket set ups. They are routinely hit or miss at best for any kind of accuracey or even displaying

Some others have the ones that completely replace the valve stems with a new one with the TPMS inside the wheel and activated via gyroscopic effect of bike moving and pretty much the same story with those, some work okay while others (same brand even) refuse to work more than intermittently

OEM ones seem to work fine sans the short battery life (typical is 5-7 years at best for "normal" mileage guys....... but a few of my customers ride 30k+ a year and eat batteries every 12-16 months.) and sadly many now are not replaceable by "easy" means.......ie- they are buried under epoxy where you spend hours grinding and digging out the sensor and battery to then hope you didn't ruin anyhting and then unsolder the old battery, solder in a new battery and then try and reassemble the mess and re-install and then hope and pray it works.............or you go get shafted and spend $180+ per wheel to replace the TPMS and a programming fee to a dealer/service center ot be good for possibly another few years before you have to do it again

post about 2012 epoxied in units........

pre early/mid 2012 screw covered units with accesible batteries....
Thank you very much. This is what I was skeptical about. My girlfriends car costed her hundreds of dollars when the battery for one tpms went dead. Aside from defects in displaying correct pressure, and battery life, there isn't much else that could go wrong with having them right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My plan would be to continue checking pressure regularly with a gauge, but also have the screw on tpms display for safety. I went 150 on two separate tires, one at 8 psi and the other at 4, that I had checked pressure on within a couple days (new bike, new feel). Suppose it will be every ride now. Just want something that I can refer to when I am already riding and remember that I didn't check pressure as I am about to hit the interstate.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think it is a good think, haven't used one before but have taken several long trips in the last couple of years and gone multiple days without checking tire pressures. I look at tires but don't dig out the oueage and check - not a good thing. If you are a weekend rider probably better to just carefully check pressures every time you ride. I've looked at this system, it has good comments in the Tracer GT forum and will probably buy before my next trip.

Today went on a group ride (almost never ride with groups), one of the folks had a rear tire with an odd wear pattern - looked like cupping on the sides. It looked to me like a wear pattern I would expect on a front from lower pressure and hard braking (street bike). Someone else said looks a bit low - he checked pressure - 16PSI! Know you wouldn't let that happen but wow! He was headed off for a new tire instead of the group ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts