Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received the gloves yesterday, will install the wiring harness on the bike this weekend.

My wife purchased them from Revzilla, using Paypal as the financial mechanism. We never received any notification of shipping. Just one note saying the order was processed, and the gloves arrived in the two days my wife had paid for.

All of the online reviews indicated the sizing runs on the small side, so the XL fit me almost tightly. I expect that they will stretch slightly with use so my belief is they will end up near ideally sized. Fingertip length is nearly spot on for me, my index finger actually hits the end of the glove, which was not the case with my last heated gloves. This pair is supposed to have material on the tip of the index fingers that will allow you to operate touch screen devices, so that is a very nice to have feature.

This pair being leather rather than synthetic, I expect their crashworthiness will be slightly improved in the event of a mishap. Assembly looks good, no obvious production flaws or material issues.

The chart on the back of the packaging says the gloves will pull a maximum 1.2 Amperes, for a total of 13.2 Watts. I would really like to think that's per glove rather than for the pair as it would (as I recall) be half the output the Sedici Hotwire gloves put out.

Presuming the insulation is better, that may not be a big deal. I couldn't use the Sedici on the hottest setting anyway, so I don't think I am likely to need more than the Tourmasters will put out. Once I have them wired up and have riddne the bike with them on, I will post further on this.

· Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seemed odd to provide a 10A fuse on the harness when the gloves are stated to pull 1.2A max…… then I realized that’s pragmatic engineering by Tour Master…. If you add more heated gear, current consumption will increase.
Ac adapter Eyewear Gadget Audio equipment Wood

Glove Computer keyboard Safety glove Sports gear Peripheral

Table Wood Gadget Audio equipment Eyewear

· Registered
2004-20-23 636
387 Posts
My buddy got these and the boot inserts for Xmas and he absolutely loves them. He rides his Harley to wake everyday that it’s not snowing and the first day he wore them was in the 30”s. He also the tour master jacket and loves it also. I have wanted heated gear for a while now but I keep hesitating I hate change and afraid I want wear it and be a waste of money. I’m thinking of starting with the gloves and boot inserts being that’s my main areas gets cold lol.
His boot inserts seem cool comes with a little remote fob he clicks on his keychain so You can turn on/off on the fly.

· Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have any kind of lingering hand injuries.... bone breaks, arthritis, etc., heated gloves are the bomb. Since your hands have the least blood flow, and are furthest from your heart (along with your feet), they suffer most when the body decides to cut blood flow to conserve heat. When your core temperature goes down, the loss of fingers or toes is programmed in as more acceptable then dying. I have to think that's also why you get stupid as you start to freeze to death, too. Really cold is similar to having a number of alcoholic drinks in how it affects your motor skills, and eventually your thinking as well.

Powered gear eliminates the need to bundle heavily. I haven't reached the point where I am a full on power ranger; I just run the gloves and sing their praises every chance I get. If you have the power and don't need it, simple enough to turn it down or off. If you don't have it and DO need it...... The smarter people in this group would probably choose not to ride.

The rest of us will likely suffer for as long as we can stand it, LOL.

· Registered
2004-20-23 636
387 Posts
Yes. When the back flip came Into the scene I was practicing in a foam pit and I had these bars pastrana developed that kind of mount and raise above the bars so as your flipping you can kind of lock them on the tops of your wrist to give you leverage. Well first time I over rotated bad so when I landed in the foam the bike was still hooked on my hand above my head and where the bike was heavier than me it sunk way further in the foam than I could stretch and it just mangled my hands. I had 4 surgery’s on my right hand and 3 on my left. Tons of hardware and major nerve damage. Took years to recover and now my movement and grip is decent but the feeling is iffy. Right hand is 90% ok but left hand my pinky and ring just stay cold and feel numb and when they get cold they ache like crazy. I typically ant a wimp but man it aches so dang bad I almost can’t ride when it’s to cold. And the doctors said I’d get frost bite easer in those fingers due to lack of circulation

what I currently do is I will wear those rubber nitro gloves under my riding gloves when it’s below 60 or so. I’d seen that tip on here I think and the rubber really does hold in body heat better than I thought. And if rain keeps you dry and warmer. But I really just need to drop the money and get some heated gloves. I have the same circulation problems in my left foot after breaking a hip so insoles and gloves I think would help a ton

The plus side to breaking both my hands at the same time is I know for sure my wife loves me. She wiped my butt for 8 months 😂. That was the first thing I thought about waking up from surgery and having both hands all wrapped up. It also sucks having to scratch your ear or picking your nose. Eating took a little method also lol. And I can type pretty good on my phone using my nose 🤣. Ahh the things we go through to ride bikes and be cool

· Registered
1,144 Posts
Good review, have thought about heated gloves but m Tracer had heated grips. Back of fingers get cold but front is warm. Have a Warm and Safe heated jacket that is very nice. Don't use it much but take it on my trips as never know when it going to get cold. Used it going over Beartooth Pass where it was 34F - really September. Last year it was not cold it was HOT on my long trip but still had the jacket packed in my gear. Let us know how the controller works. On the Tracer have a Neutrino Element which is a 6 circuit fuseless relay box that does PWM modulation. I use it to switch and control the brightness of the aux lights, control the jacket temperature and switch circuits. It is controlled by an app on my phone.

· Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Al, I passed the old set onto a budding EE so that he could repair them and use them. It’s either a broken wire or a cracked trace on a pcba… my bet is broken wire from how it crapped out on me. He’ll get to the bottom of it promptly, one way or the other. Zero cost, great benefit if he can get it to work.

· Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I routed the harness inside my winter jacket last night. Lessons learned from previous efforts with this -- the harness is always a Y configuration, but it's not equal length on all three legs. Figuring out how to route the wires down the sleeves so you have the least strain on them, and the longest 'tail' to allow you to move around on the bike without disconnecting yourself takes a bit of time and effort. My solution is to have the junction inside one of the sleeves with the shortest length of wire going to one glove, and then having it double back across the shoulders to reach the other sleeve with one of the long throws of wire. That gives me one of the long throws to get to the plug on the pigtail on the bike.

This battery pigtail is much shorter than the ones I have used with the Sedici gloves. The new one is on the order of 2' long rather than over 3', which means I will not be able to trap the wire at the steering neck and have the connection around my fuel tank. I used to run the wire inside the body work and trim so the plug was the only thing expose that I could put any stress on. Now I will have to figure out where to route it so I don't kick it getting on or off, can easily see it to ensure it's connected, and make sure it's not dangling enough to get caught in the drive train...

That will be today's task once the sun comes up. Photos to follow.

· Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The end connectors from the old and new pigtails appear to be identical. Same embossed name in the over molding, pin out appearance seems the same. If the jacket harness with the gloves connected mates properly, I will try powering the gloves from my older pig tail.

· Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The gloves are able to run on the old pigtail.

I took the bike out for about an hour this afternoon and I was reasonably happy with their performance.

Compared to the Sedici Hotwire gloves, they have the advantage of both working. They don’t generate as much heat as the Sedici, but they probably generate enough heat for any scenario that I will ride in. The controls are similar but better on the Tour Masters. You can feel the button clicks, and the icon on the button changes color to indicate which setting it’s on and that is bright enough to read in full

It was mid 30’s to very low 40’s in the timeframe of the ride, with a significant cold cross wind, something like 15 mph… enough to require counter steering.

I could maintain actual freeway speed (higher than posted) without discomfort. Rode for 30 minutes on the low setting to get a baseline, when my hands had cooled down to where I would have been after 5-10 minutes in my unheated ski mobile gauntlets, then kicked them all the way to high for the remainder of the ride, between 30 & 45 minutes.

I believe the Sedici would have burned the backs of my hands in those conditions. I would’ve had to run medium instead of high.

I was as bundled up as I could get. Heavy winter pants, balaclava, heavy textile jacket with some additional layers added. (I wanted to tinker with some double foil covered small bubble wrap which I inserted between jacket shell and liner, to see if I could reduce the cold penetration on my arms and shoulders. That worked pretty well)

The only thing I didn’t do, was shut all the vents on my helmet or put on thicker socks. Was quite comfortable as it was, just a little jet of cold near my Adams Apple, due to not sealing the seam properly.

Im sure I can ride down to freezing temperatures comfortably with the gear I have. It would be more convenient to have a heated jacket than the bulkier setup I bodged up, but I don’t think I would spend the money to get a better solution. Good enough for me for now.

· Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So my old pair of gloves that I gave to a starving young EE motorcyclist have been troubleshot..... it was as I expected, the wiring in the Sedici Hotwire glove was bad. I had very carefully removed the stitching over the label in the interior of one of them and couldn't see the issue at the jack.... it was further in, at the controller which sits on the back of the hand.

I wasn't really expecting the fault to be that the insulation on the wiring had disintegrated.:oops:

I really shouldn't have been surprised by that as the jacket harness provided by the vendor had suffered a similar fate within a couple of years or use. If the gloves were made at the same time, it should have been higher on my suspect list. I simply didn't think that the quality of the wiring in a pair of powered gloves should EVER be an issue. :rolleyes:

The reason it had slipped my mind is the company that sold me the gloves, replaced the jacket harness at no cost when it had failed and I had no reason to think of it after that point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts